Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you do Votto for Ellsbury?

Re: Would you do Votto for Ellsbury?

I'm not saying that Votto will ever be the equal of Tony Perez but he remindes me of Big Doggie because he sort of flys beneith the radar. He's quiet, unassuming and doesn't get quoted a lot (unlike some players in Cincinnati). What he does do is go to work everyday, put up solid numbers and, if he hasn't already been recognized as the guy in the lineup that you really like up there in a run-scoring opportunity, you will soon.

He's a rock. Build on him.

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

No way Votto is only gonna get better, Ellsbury is way overhyped!!! I would rather go after Crisp, but not at the cost of Votto!

Not even close. I'd laugh at an offer of Ellsbury for Votto straight up.

no chance

Votto's pretty clearly the more valuable player, and likely to remain so. Having said that, it might help the Reds to consider the way the Red Sox handled their CF combo situation. Depth is a good thing.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Depth is a good thing.
    Yes it is. Especially if you have a large budget.

If not you need the judgement or wisdom to pay and use Utility Players like Utility Players.

I don't have any problem moving Votto in the right deal, but this isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Yes it is. Especially if you have a large budget.

If not you need the judgement or wisdom to pay and use Utility Players like Utility Players.
    Even if you do have a large budget, and you can afford to overpay for utility players, if you choose to, you still need the judgement to know the difference between a utility player and a player worthy of regular playing time.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Even if you do have a large budget, and you can afford to overpay for utility players, if you choose to, you still need the judgement to know the difference between a utility player and a player worthy of regular playing time.
    Yep.

Thats what I meant when I said you need the judgement and wisdom to pay and USE Utility Players like Utility Players.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I keep Votto and Jay Bruce too if and when his name comes up in questions such as this.
    Votto and Bruce represent two home grown position players that I would like to see the Reds build their offense around for years to come.

I also believe the Reds have a diamond in the rough in Chris Dickerson and if his spring training coincides with his 2008 performance, well then, centerfield belongs to CD.

Todd Frazier is a player I'm excited to see play both shortstop and second base well enough that Brandon Phillips could bring an outstanding pitcher or position player to us for the 2010 season. My hope is that Frazier hits and fields well enough to make that happen. I'm a huge Brandon Phillips fan but we need to improve in at least three areas between now and '10.

If Dickerson doesn't earn the starting spot in CF next season, a guy I would like to see Jocketty acquire is Randy Winn to leadoff and play center and bring Bengie Molina along with him. Then get that power-hitting righty to play in left.

What would it take to make that trade with San Francisco? Or would you even make a trade such as this? Would Drew Stubbs, Ryan Freel and Devon Mesoraco do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Todd Frazier is a player I'm excited to see play both shortstop and second base well enough that Brandon Phillips could bring an outstanding pitcher or position player to us for the 2010 season. My hope is that Frazier hits and fields well enough to make that happen. I'm a huge Brandon Phillips fan but we need to improve in at least three areas between now and '10.
    Frazier's not good enough defensively to play the infield in the major leagues. He's better suited for third base or left field. The good thing is his bat is good enough to play anywhere on the diamond.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Frazier's not good enough defensively to play the infield in the major leagues. He's better suited for third base or left field. The good thing is his bat is good enough to play anywhere on the diamond.
    I agree OBM but that's why I'm looking at 2010 for this to happen. More seasoning for Frazier in '09. Many had said Votto was a fielding liability but I haven't seen it. Same hopefully can be said for Frazier when he makes it to the Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I don't have any problem moving Votto in the right deal, but this isn't it.
    Ditto
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd do Votto for Ellsbury. I expect Votto to provide more power, but he plays a power position. I don't expect him to provide enough power to offset the defense and speed Ellsbury would provide to the centerfield position. This is obviously not the popular opinion here, but we have watched Reds lose a load of games with poor fielding, power hitting teams through the last ten years. That is a long time. I'm well past ready for a change of design. I'm ready to try pitching, speed, and defense. Even if they lose with pitching, speed, and defense, it will be a different design.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    I agree OBM but that's why I'm looking at 2010 for this to happen. More seasoning for Frazier in '09. Many had said Votto was a fielding liability but I haven't seen it. Same hopefully can be said for Frazier when he makes it to the Show.
    I think OBM meant MIF and no Frazier doesn't have the range to do it exclusively. Votto's issues were more tied to the nuances of playing 1st, but he clearly had the talent to be fine there. Frazier simply doesn't have the talent to be a major league MIF.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?