Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which free agent starting pitchers should the Reds pursue?

Re: Which free agent starting pitchers should the Reds pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    ... Many (of the pitchers listed) you would have to take a chance on and the Reds not having the Yankees payroll cant afford to take a chance on someone and he not produce or get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    This organization can in no way sign CC Sabathia or a similar blockbuster free agent. Haven't we already learned the perils of spending most of the team salary on 1 or 2 players and filling in the rest of the roster with low-priced scrubs?
    i agree 100% on both counts. it's just not realistic or wise. the inequality of team budgets in major league baseball is still a joke so small and mid market teams can't just shrug off a wasted carl pavano contract and spend more money on a replacement like the clubs with deeper pockets can.

there are alot of those pitchers that i'd have some interest in depending on the money and circumstances. some will end up signing one year minor league contracts built around incentives and i'd love it the reds did that with one or two and if the reds can get lucky with a decent solid mor sp for $5-8 million that can work. but if the reds take on one big contract and only one it HAS to be an offensive player.

the people that want one or two starting pitcher(s) that would easily cost a total of $20 million+ plus a bat that would cost another $10m don't want the reds to be the tampa of '09. they want the reds to be the yankees of '09.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-22-2008 at 10:34 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I just gotta' ask. Is this a site about the Reds or is it a site for fantasy leaguers?

This organization can in no way sign CC Sabathia or a similar blockbuster free agent. Haven't we already learned the perils of spending most of the team salary on 1 or 2 players and filling in the rest of the roster with low-priced scrubs?
    A large part of the problem during the Griffey era was that we weren't producing those players throughout the system. Also, Griff's injuries were historic. You can't just look at that situation and assume things will play out the same next time, or even that the risk of that sort of thing is high.

A mid-market team can sign a big-name FA here and there. They just have to be critical pieces, like your 3rd hitter or an ace. Those kind of players are rare. What you have to avoid is the contracts like Cordero, Gonzo, Freel, Stanton, etc. These aren't critical pieces and you can find those kind of players, more or less, within your own system (or you should be able to).

Sabbathia is realistic. He's told the media that he doesn't care where he plays. That doesn't mean he's the right guy to sign, but there's nothing wrong with bringing up the name.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-23-2008 at 05:36 AM.

I agree to a certain degree but Sabathia is well beyond any of the high priced pitchers the Reds have ever signed.

That being said I dont realisticly see it happening but merely saying he is a free agent that I would want....aka I wouldnt want many on this year's possible FAs

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    A mid-market team can sign a big-name FA here and there. They just have to be critical pieces, like your 3rd hitter or an ace. Those kind of players are rare. What you have to avoid is the contracts like Cordero, Gonzo, Freel, Stanton, etc. These aren't critical pieces and you can find those kind of players, more or less, within your own system (or you should be able to).

Sabbathia is realistic. He's told the media that he doesn't care where he plays. That doesn't mean he's the right guy to sign, but there's nothing wrong with bringing up the name.
    Can you give me some examples of mid-market teams signing a top dollar free agent? I'm sure there have been a few, very rare instances, but I can't come up with any off the top of my head.

Can you give me some examples of mid-market teams signing a top dollar free agent? I'm sure there have been a few, very rare instances, but I can't come up with any off the top of my head.
    How about the Tigers a few years back signing Magglio Ordonez when they didn't have a huge team salary or the Houston Astros signing Carlos Lee? I am not sure if those two players are top dollar free agents now, but at the time I thought they were

I think a lot of the time big name guys don't want to go somewhere out midwest and play. These people are prima-donna's with a lot of money to burn. They want to be in LA or New York or Chicago, places like that.

Well, there's San Francisco and Zito...

Not free agents but big extensions....

Seattle and Ichiro
    Detroit with Miguel Cabrera
    Colorado with Todd Helton
    Toronto and Vernon Wells and Scott Rolen

the 2009 option for john lackey has been picked up for $9 million. not a big surprise to me but we can cross him off now.

I'd go after Oliver Perez and try and flip Arroyo for a bat. Doubt it happens. But thats what I'd do.

The primary target I'd be pursuing is not a starter but rather Juan Cruz, in my opinion one of the best set-up relievers in MLB. He'd be a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    The primary target I'd be pursuing is not a starter but rather Juan Cruz, in my opinion one of the best set-up relievers in MLB. He'd be a great addition.
    Which is why he won't be a Red.

Turn Off Ads?