Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How about a trade with the Red Sox?

How about a trade with the Red Sox?

Would anyone be interested in trading for Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo from the Sox. I know Lugos D isnt grat but he a decent offensive guy with decent D. Crisp is a guy who plays great D in CF and could hit lead off for the Reds. I would give them something like Bailey, Janish, Maloney, and another prospect. But I would expect them to take on a little money in return.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about a trade with the Red Sox?

I think Bailey has more value than either of those guys individually, he is comparable to Edison Volquez before we dealt Hamilton for him

Lugo is so bad he would diminish any trade he was included in.

I would rather have gonzalez then lugo.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I don't want either guy. Lugo isn't that great and I'm not a huge fan of Coco either. :thumbdown
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

No way, Lugo and Crisp are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    I think Bailey has more value than either of those guys individually, he is comparable to Edison Volquez before we dealt Hamilton for him

Bailey had nearly the highest WHIP of any of the Louisville regular starting pitchers. He also had the highest e.r.a. of every Louisville starter other than Tom Shearn.

I don't know how people continue to equate Bailey with Volquez.

Lugo is worthless, can't field, and really can't hit better than AGon.
    Crisp, however, should give the Reds a .344 OBP and around 20 SB as leadoff hitter, plus some of the best CF defense in the majors. He is worth pursuing, but not worth even Bailey alone. He should be able to be had for a Maloney type prospect or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lugo is worthless, can't field, and really can't hit better than AGon.
    Crisp, however, should give the Reds a .344 OBP and around 20 SB as leadoff hitter, plus some of the best CF defense in the majors. He is worth pursuing, but not worth even Bailey alone. He should be able to be had for a Maloney type prospect or two.
    This is more along the lines of what i should have said. Even though Bailey's value is down I'm certainly not going to deal him for one year of Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo. He still has quality stuff and his last start in Louisville in the playoffs he was dominant. Any deal involving Homer Bailey I would want quality young talent, or a type-A free agent that would deliver two compensation picks in the future. The guy has plenty of time to develop, the reds have 5-6 starters who could fill the rotation without him, therefore I'd let him work on locating his yacker and change on his own time frame and pencil him in to replace Arroyo or Harang when they leave.

If I'm not mistaken CoCo will make $5.5 and Lugo will make $9 in 2009. Also both lost there starting spots.
    So adding two players for $14.5 million, that aren't even starters sounds pretty stupid. I would rather see them take $14.5 and spend it on Furcal/Hairston. Lugo's .685 OPS and CoCo's .751 OPS just don't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Bailey had nearly the highest WHIP of any of the Louisville regular starting pitchers. He also had the highest e.r.a. of every Louisville starter other than Tom Shearn.

I don't know how people continue to equate Bailey with Volquez.
    Because they were both highly regarded prospects with success (not dominating, but still overall success) in the minors (even counting Bailey's off year 2008) who were rushed to the majors where they had bad experiences. When you compare the numbers for the minors and the majors between the two, they're pretty similar. Very much so when you look at the majors (other than Volquez having a slightly higher K rate).

I'm not saying Bailey's going to have the year Volquez did this year, but everyone is so quick to jump on the "lets trade him" bandwagon, and yet he's young and only had a couple cups of coffee in the majors...I say he still gets another shot, and let's hope this year was a wake up call for him.

(sorry for the attached picture, but I couldn't get the numbers to show up correctly. If anyone can explain how to post things so that it looks like a table, I'd be greatly appreciative...)

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Because they were both highly regarded prospects with success (not dominating, but still overall success) in the minors (even counting Bailey's off year 2008) who were rushed to the majors where they had bad experiences. When you compare the numbers for the minors and the majors between the two, they're pretty similar. Very much so when you look at the majors (other than Volquez having a slightly higher K rate).

I'm not saying Bailey's going to have the year Volquez did this year, but everyone is so quick to jump on the "lets trade him" bandwagon, and yet he's young and only had a couple cups of coffee in the majors...I say he still gets another shot, and let's hope this year was a wake up call for him.

(sorry for the attached picture, but I couldn't get the numbers to show up correctly. If anyone can explain how to post things so that it looks like a table, I'd be greatly appreciative...)
    Uh, thanks for the response. you saved me the trouble of a long similar dissertation. As recent as '07 I believe, Volquez was demoted all the way to A ball, before bouncing back.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    If I'm not mistaken CoCo will make $5.5 and Lugo will make $9 in 2009. Also both lost there starting spots.
    So adding two players for $14.5 million, that aren't even starters sounds pretty stupid. I would rather see them take $14.5 and spend it on Furcal/Hairston. Lugo's .685 OPS and CoCo's .751 OPS just don't cut it.
    If the reds are going to spend that kind of money, they need to get a lot of production in return. I think the reds could make a run at Brian Giles. He has always had good OBP numbers averaging about .370 over his last 3 years and he should come at a relatively cheap price because he does not have any statistics, like a lot of RBI, that wrongly inflate his value in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    If the reds are going to spend that kind of money, they need to get a lot of production in return. I think the reds could make a run at Brian Giles. He has always had good OBP numbers averaging about .370 over his last 3 years and he should come at a relatively cheap price because he does not have any statistics, like a lot of RBI, that wrongly inflate his value in the market.
    Didn't Giles turn down a trade to the Red Sox because he wanted to stay on the west side? I doubt Giles would be willing to come to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Didn't Giles turn down a trade to the Red Sox because he wanted to stay on the west side? I doubt Giles would be willing to come to the Reds.
    Giles does have a NTC and does want to stay out west, but the padres can also buyout the last year of his contract and there is a lot of speculation that the padres are dumping salary, so they might buy him out, but if they were smart they would exercise the option and then try and trade him.

Turn Off Ads?