Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stubbs

62 49.21%
  • Juan Duran

14 11.11%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

8 6.35%
  • Chris Valaika

9 7.14%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

7 5.56%
  • Zach Stewart

4 3.17%
  • Juan Francisco

3 2.38%
  • Daryl Thompson

11 8.73%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Josh Roenicke

2 1.59%
  • Chris Dickerson

3 2.38%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.38%
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Neftali Soto was voted the Reds #3 prospect in a landslide. Let the voting begin for #4.

Redszone's Top Prospects:

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Gonna keep voting for the top glove until Drew Stubbs gets the nod.

I've seen him make enough adjustments and improvements with the bat to believe that he will have a succesful major league career.

Stubbs based on tools and small accomplishment in advancing levels this year
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

This one is tough for me, it come down to Drew Stubbs and Kyle Lotzkar. I've decided to go with Stubbs because I like the way he played better after getting out of the FSL, albeit a small sample size. He plays plus-plus defense at a premium position and has good on-base skills. Power development is the key for Stubbs - will he be a right handed version of Jacoby Ellsbury or will his power develop making him a Mike Cameron type player? Let's hope for the latter.

The clear top tier is gone and now lots of guys who are bunched together. I'll go with Stubbs simply because his status as a top pick and his meeting all expectations defensively probably give him the most value.

I've been converted as far as Stubbs goes, but I think the Reds should look to deal him. CF talent is scarce this year and he may bring back something good at a need area. I really think that the Reds can adequately cover CF on the cheap for the next few years by platooning Dickerson with Freel now and Heisey down the road. The defense is almost as good and the platoon advantage might even give them an edge on offense. When those guys are getting too expensive or starting to fade, David Sappelt or more likely Yorman Rodriguez will be ready to go. Stubbs is expendable and valuable.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's looking like this is gonna be a blowout in Stubbs favor. The voting for prospect #5 will be interesting. I expect it to be pretty tight with Duran, Lotzkar, Valaika, and a couple others splitting the majority of the votes.

I chose Stubbs as well, but I was tempted to go with Thompson. The reason being is next to Stubbs (and maybe even more so than Stubbs), I think Thompson has proven more in the upper minors that anyone else has. That doesn't mean he's a better prospect than Stubbs or many of the other options, but he has PROVEN more. For me, I don't rank any of the kids high unless they're tearing it up in the low minors (like Soto for example who I did rate as #3). Some of the other prospect options are performing well in the lower minors, but not many are tearing it up the way Soto has.

I tend to give a bigger benefit of the doubt to those players who have proven more at a higher level than those who haven't. I know some rate more on potential, but not I. With that said, Thompson dominated AA this year, looked good in AAA and I went to his Yankee Stadium debut where he pitched an absolute gem in a packed house against a great lineup. The way that kid battled out of a bases loaded jam with no outs against the heart of the Yankee lineup at a critical point in the game showed a lot to me. He was brilliant. He didn't get lucky either...the kid can pitch. Now, I don't know if his injury history is going to have a big impact on his career or not, but if healthy, I think Thompson could be a very good pitcher.

Dorn. Followed closely by Valaika. I continue to favor guys who have a legitamate shot, very soon. Both excelled at AA this year, and if it hadn't been for a 4 week injury, Dorn would have played 1/2 the season at Louisville.

Kyle Lotzkar for me but it was a hard choice between Lotzkar and Stubbs

Francisco hit .277 with 34 doubles and 23 homers at age 20-21 in a tough pitcher's league, High A ball. Even if he never walks again, that production should put him squarely in the competition for number 5. When you consider his great throwing arm, he probably should be the favorite for number 5.

It's possible that Duran should be number 5. It's also possible he should be number 1. I just don't know enough about him to make a judgment on him and it's hard to evaluate the relative standing of a guy who's still that young and hasn't reached the GCL as yet.

Stubbs should be number 4. If he can continue to hit as well as he did at AA and AAA, he probably should be higher given his defensive abilities.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-22-2008 at 12:27 AM.

I'm not sure where I'm gonna vote Juan Francisco. There's a whole lot to love about him: plus-plus power potential to go along with plus present power, rocket arm, solid defender, and he's held his own against older competition. However, the one major weakness he has is lack of plate discipline. I'm still hopeful he can improve it. Like Doug said, an additional three walks per month next season would get him up in the 35 walk area. If he can eventually get it up in the 50-60 range he would be just fine. He's only 21 years old, he's got plenty of time. I'd like to see the Reds keep him in Double-A all year next season no matter what, and maybe even again in 2010. At his age, and with the depth in the organization at 3B, they can afford to be patient with him.

I can't believe Darryl Thompson isn't running away with this.

I'm going Chris Valaika here, IMO he's solid all around with a chance to be a good major leaguer and he's not far off. I would have possibly put Lotzkar ahead of him but that injury is a worrisome one too me. Had it not been for that injury I may have put him here instead with that ceiling. Thompson is really the wild card who I would have definitely put here if it were not for the re-occurrence of his arm issues.

Stubbs was also a factor but I need to see him do more offensively for an extended period of time against the same competition. I just happen to believe the same thing TRF does, the guy just didn't prove a whole lot too me this season despite the excellerated advancement.

Dorn isn't even a thought for me at this point, yeah I believe the kid is a hitter but at this point he has to hit LHP respectably in the minors before I consider him anything more than a platoon type. And it might do for him to play something more than the position on the field defensively, if he were to add 1st base to his resume it helps him tremendously.

Juan Duran and anyone else currently residing below Low-A are so far off I don't really give them much consideration for top 5-10 despite their high ceilings. I mean if I were gonna do that it would be Yorman whom I would vote for at least he is more likely destined for a premium position w/ a big bat. Now if one of these guys does something phenomenal next season it may put them on the map but as of now they haven't done a thing worthy of discussion IMO.

And of course by now everyone knows how I feel about Francisco. So I'll just say I like his ceiling but his floor should be re-named AA. I hope I'm wrong about him but I would be shocked if he ever sets foot in the big leagues.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 10-22-2008 at 02:24 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

it came down to Drew Stubbs, Ramon Ramirez and Kyle Lotzkar, I chose Ramirez because I think he helps the Reds next year and Stubbs who Im one of his biggest fans is about 1 year away Im afraid. Ramirez when the year ended had a ton of confidence and is firmly in the Soto camp being groom as a big leaguer, I can see him battling it out with Owings with the loser being first guy on deck as the 5th starter. I wouldve like to have had Bailey on the prospects list because I would put him right after Ramirez actually.

Chris Dickerson. I think a lot of what we saw from him was legit.

Turn Off Ads?