Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stubbs

62 49.21%
  • Juan Duran

14 11.11%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

8 6.35%
  • Chris Valaika

9 7.14%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

7 5.56%
  • Zach Stewart

4 3.17%
  • Juan Francisco

3 2.38%
  • Daryl Thompson

11 8.73%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Josh Roenicke

2 1.59%
  • Chris Dickerson

3 2.38%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.38%
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Shouldn't Homer Bailey at least be listed with that group of players? He isn't the #4 prospect but he is certainly ahead of some of those guys. He's still young and has time to put it all together. I voted for Stubbs.

Dickerson, while I would like to see him with the Reds next year, at some point players become too old to be considered prospects. 27/28 is probably that age. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if he was the starting CF for the Reds next year while we wait 3 months to a year on Stubbs.

Thanks for putting this together OBM. It is interesting to see what us fans think versus what the 'experts' think.

Bumstead

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Shouldn't Homer Bailey at least be listed with that group of players? He isn't the #4 prospect but he is certainly ahead of some of those guys. He's still young and has time to put it all together. I voted for Stubbs.

Dickerson, while I would like to see him with the Reds next year, at some point players become too old to be considered prospects. 27/28 is probably that age. Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if he was the starting CF for the Reds next year while we wait 3 months to a year on Stubbs.

Thanks for putting this together OBM. It is interesting to see what us fans think versus what the 'experts' think.

Bumstead
    Bailey isn't a prospect anymore because he is no longer ROY eligible.

ahhh...Good Point! He pitched so bad I didn't know he had accumulated that many innings...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I just hope they bring him over to the States next season - get him used to being away from home for the first time and let him hit the weights.
    He was in FLA for a solid 4 months throughout the year between extended and Fall Instructional league. I'm sure it will be the same routine next year, but maybe he will stay for GCL instead. Also...he has added some weight I believe. Between the DR facility and Sarasota, I'm sure he was in the weight room quite a bit.

Below is a recent picture of Juan Duran...he's still got a lot of room to fill out.

I miss Adam Dunn.

he's still got a lot of room to fill out.

Can't see the pic (red x in box), but I hope a 17 year old would still have more room to fill out. Physically peaking at 17 would be a shame, though I know hundreds of us on here probably did!

I'm still not sure where I'm going to vote for Duran. I was tempted to vote him in the top three or four based solely on his scouting report. I don't think I've ever seen a scouting report like his. They said he was hitting 400 foot bombs to all parts of the field over the trees at the Reds Dominican complex. Some were saying he's the best Dominican hitter they've ever crossed paths with. He's drawn comparisons to players like Vladimir Guerrero and Dave Winfield. I remember Volquez saying he saw Duran play and he'd never seen someone like that. I'm still blown away when I go back and read that.

I'm definitely putting him in my top 10 but I'm not sure where.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

You can always recognize when Juan Duran is around by the sight of his big blue ox.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    You can always recognize when Juan Duran is around by the sight of his big blue ox.

Someone should photoshop Juan Duran into this picture:

I miss Adam Dunn.

What happened to Thompson that he is not getting better consideration, was his injury last year that substantial, won't he continue to build and improve upon his performances last year in Chattanooga and other?

Am I wrong that the Thompson that was pitching in Chattanooga would send your top three picks so far back to the bench frequently if that Thompson was pitching against them?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    What happened to Thompson that he is not getting better consideration, was his injury last year that substantial, won't he continue to build and improve upon his performances last year in Chattanooga and other?

Am I wrong that the Thompson that was pitching in Chattanooga would send your top three picks so far back to the bench frequently if that Thompson was pitching against them?
    The injury is a concern for starters, given his size and history I see him making a move to the bullpen sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The injury is a concern for starters, given his size and history I see him making a move to the bullpen sooner rather than later.
    I see, thanks Doug.

Thompson was such a positive story last year that I was hoping that things would work out for the young man.

I see, thanks Doug.

Thompson was such a positive story last year that I was hoping that things would work out for the young man.
    He's got the stuff to be a solid big league starter (#3 or 4 starter) but like Doug said, I think he could make a great setup man. His fastball would probably jump a tick or two and it would keep a heavy workload off his arm. But I also think he could be a solid starter. He reminds me a bit of a harder throwing Arroyo with his big, slow curveball and decent changeup.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-22-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

The injuries certainly hurt him, and I think people latch on to his poor performance while with the Reds. If Danny Ray Herrera weren't called up, a lot of people on the board would seriously be considering him as a top-ten prospect.

He's got the stuff to be a solid big league starter (#3 or 4 starter) but like Doug said, I think he could make a great setup man. His fastball would probably jump a tick or two and it would keep a heavy workload off his arm. But I also think he could be a solid starter. He reminds me a bit of a harder throwing Arroyo with his big, slow curveball and decent changeup.
    I would think a 3rd or 4th starter has a lot more value than a setup man. If he really is destined for the bullpen, I think the Reds need to move him while he's still starting.

Turn Off Ads?