Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Drew Stubbs

62 49.21%
  • Juan Duran

14 11.11%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

8 6.35%
  • Chris Valaika

9 7.14%
  • Devin Mesoraco

0 0%
  • Danny Dorn

7 5.56%
  • Zach Stewart

4 3.17%
  • Juan Francisco

3 2.38%
  • Daryl Thompson

11 8.73%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Josh Roenicke

2 1.59%
  • Chris Dickerson

3 2.38%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.38%
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #4 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The injuries certainly hurt him, and I think people latch on to his poor performance while with the Reds. If Danny Ray Herrera weren't called up, a lot of people on the board would seriously be considering him as a top-ten prospect.
    If true, than people are making a mistake. His walk rate in that stint makes me think a lot of his problem was nerves. The Reds need to stop rushing their young pitchers in general. Thompson should never have been brought up and neither should Bailey. Pitching is too mentally taxing to mess around with 21/22 year old kids. Wait till they're ready. If I were running the team, I'd make a full year at AAA almost a minimum requirement for starting pitchers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If true, than people are making a mistake. His walk rate in that stint makes me think a lot of his problem was nerves. The Reds need to stop rushing their young pitchers in general. Thompson should never have been brought up and neither should Bailey. Pitching is too mentally taxing to mess around with 21/22 year old kids. Wait till they're ready. If I were running the team, I'd make a full year at AAA almost a minimum requirement for starting pitchers.
    Nice post. I agree 100% with it.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Nice post. I agree 100% with it.
    I don't while true for Bailey, Cueto seemed to do ok. He had the normal ups and downs of a rookie pitcher.

I think the Reds need a better understanding of both the talent and mentality/maturity of the players in the minors. Some guys can blast through a system. Some can't. Cueto didn't NEED a full year at AAA. It might have helped him, and it might not.

LeCure spent two seasons at AA. Does he NEED a full year at AAA? maybe. He's a bit older, 24 right now so Maybe he doesn't need that full year. I bet he makes his big league debut next season at some point.

Really, it's case by case.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't while true for Bailey, Cueto seemed to do ok. He had the normal ups and downs of a rookie pitcher.

I think the Reds need a better understanding of both the talent and mentality/maturity of the players in the minors. Some guys can blast through a system. Some can't. Cueto didn't NEED a full year at AAA. It might have helped him, and it might not.

LeCure spent two seasons at AA. Does he NEED a full year at AAA? maybe. He's a bit older, 24 right now so Maybe he doesn't need that full year. I bet he makes his big league debut next season at some point.

Really, it's case by case.
    Good point. In a perfect world, Cueto would have received more time in AA/AAA. He's thrown a total of 83 innings above High-A. He was able to survive due to good control and having three great pitches he can throw for strikes. Plus, he dominated at just about every level in the minors. That's what sets him and Homer apart. While Homer has the great stuff, he wasn't dominating AAA hitters yet. He was working on some things like new pitches, different mechanics, and so forth... he clearly wasn't ready for the majors IMO. Calling him up when they did was just asking for a disaster. Same with Daryl Thompson. He had very little experience above High-A when they chose to call him up. His stats were good, but I can remember Hal McCoy saying he talked to some scouts who said Thompson wasn't ready to pitch in the majors.

I was very impressed with what Cueto did this year. But I wouldn't recommend doing that with every kid pitcher. I'm hoping they're patient with Homer and Thompson next season and let them develop on their own timeline.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-23-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Cueto dominated in the spring and sort of forced his way into the rotation. Then he had a fantastic first start. That's a lot of built up confidence to fall back on when you start to struggle. You're less likely to wonder whether you can cut it in the big leagues after a bad start when you open the season dominating people.

Of course that's all speculation. I don't have a clue what was going through his mind this season. Still, I wouldn't use his development as my model.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-23-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Cueto's a freak. I thought the way the Reds handled him was pretty reckless, but he's so good that it didn't matter. I hope the Reds appropriately view him as the exception and not the rule.

There's about an hour and 20 minutes or so left of voting. I'm looking forward to seeing how the voting plays out in the next poll. Right now it's looking like it'll come down to Duran, Lotzkar, Valaika, Thompson, or Dorn. Francisco may sneak in there too. It really depends on how the people who voted for Stubbs will vote on the next poll. So far we're averaging 130 votes per poll so hopefully we can keep that up. I'd really like to do at least a top 30.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    There's about an hour and 20 minutes or so left of voting. I'm looking forward to seeing how the voting plays out in the next poll. Right now it's looking like it'll come down to Duran, Lotzkar, Valaika, Thompson, or Dorn. Francisco may sneak in there too. It really depends on how the people who voted for Stubbs will vote on the next poll. So far we're averaging 130 votes per poll so hopefully we can keep that up. I'd really like to do at least a top 30.

OBM, you might try to list the next group alphabetically by last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    OBM, you might try to list the next group alphabetically by last name.
    10-4. The next poll should be open within the next 10 minutes or so.

Turn Off Ads?