Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chess game gone bad

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Chess game gone bad

Can't believe Chip didn't post this already.

http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...810210317/1079

A judge set a $500,000 bond Monday for an Iowa City man accused of killing his neighbor after an argument over a chess game.

David Edward Christian, 29, of 418 Brown St. No. 6, made his initial appearance via video from the Johnson County Jail on Monday.

He is accused of second-degree murder in the death early Sunday of Michael Alan Steward, 39, of 418 Brown St. No. 4. Second-degree murder is a class B felony, punishable by 50 years in prison.

During his brief appearance before Judge Stephen Gerard, Christian requested a court-appointed attorney. According to court records, Christian will be represented by Peter Persaud.

Persaud also is defending another man charged with second-degree murder. His client, Curtis Fry, 21, of Wilton, is accused of beating to death 75-year-old Jerome "Patrick" McEwen in McEwen's Iowa City apartment.

Police, fire and ambulance officials responded to Christian's residence at 3:08 a.m. for a medical assist. Officials found Steward unresponsive. Steward was taken to Mercy Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

According to criminal complaints, Christian admitted to getting into a fight with Steward while they were playing chess. Steward allegedly slapped Christian, who responded by grabbing Steward's hands and holding them while he placed Steward's head between his legs, according to police. Police said Christian then applied pressure to Steward's neck until he "didn't look so good."

When police asked Christian what "didn't look so good" meant, he responded by saying, "have you ever seen a dead person," according to complaints.

Police said Christian performed CPR on Steward with negative results.

Preliminary results from Steward's autopsy are expected early this week.

Christian also was charged with public intoxication.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chess game gone bad

I hope they like chess, they'll have lots of time to play now.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Can't believe Chip didn't post this already.

I didn't see it in the Register so it must not have really happened. :
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Do you think he said "checkmate?"
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Do you think he said "checkmate?"