Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: BA Best Draft Tools

  1. #1
    Member New Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    773

    BA Best Draft Tools

    Yonder Alonso came in second in the Best Pure Hitter category. Juan Carlos Sulburban came in fifth in the Best Late Round pick category.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    BA will be releasing the Reds draft report card on October 29th.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  4. #3
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BA will be releasing the Reds draft report card on October 29th.
    What did they get on last year's draft?

  5. #4
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    What did they get on last year's draft?
    I don't think they actually gives grades, at least not anymore. They mostly just give a rundown of the best tools, best pro debut, and closest to the majors. IIRC, right after the draft Callis said he would take rank the Reds 2007 draft among the best in baseball.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-25-2008 at 03:05 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  6. #5
    Member New Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    773

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    The Reds Report Card came out today. The overview talked about how Alonso, Sulberan, and Fairel will determine how strong this draft will be. They also talked about how Sulberan sits in the 91-94 range and Cline touched 94 in instructs. Fairel has the best secondary stuff, but Sulberan has the potential to have the best. Most of the report card was about Sulberan.

  7. #6
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Other interesting notes:

    Yonder Alonso has the best combination of short swing, plate discipline, and strength in the 2008 draft.

    21st rounder Theodis Bowe has been timed getting to first base in 3.9 seconds.

    David Sappelt was rated the best defensive player drafted by the Reds. They say he's got the speed and arm strength to play an above average center field. They also say Alonso can play a smooth first base.

    Zach Stewart's 96 mph fastball was the best in the Reds draft, but Sulbaran isn't far behind with his 91-94 mph heater. Tyler Cline was touching 94 in Instructional League. They also say Cline suffered a couple of freak injuries in Instructional League.

    Byron Wiley is the best athlete among position players, while Zach Stewart is the best among pitchers.

    Alonso is the closest to the majors with Stewart a close second.

    They referred to Sulbaran and Fairel as intriguing arms and they hold the key to success in this draft. They like Sulbaran a lot.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  8. #7
    Member OesterPoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    West-central Ohio
    Posts
    2,050

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Fairel is the one FSU expected back for another season, correct? Did we sign him above slot money?

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,093

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    They referred to Sulbaran and Fairel as intriguing arms and they hold the key to success in this draft.
    So, the draft class might be a failure if two late-round signs don't pan out? Talk about an amateur assessment....
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  10. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,257

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    So, the draft class might be a failure if two late-round signs don't pan out? Talk about an amateur assessment....
    I agree. Lets pretend its 5 years from now and Yonder Alonso and Zach Stewart turn out to be the only guys from the draft with a chance at the majors but both turn out to be average or better at their positions..... are they really trying to tell me that draft is a failure if it produces like that? I hope it works out better than that, but that certainly would not make it a failure at all.

  11. #10
    Member New Fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    773

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    So, the draft class might be a failure if two late-round signs don't pan out? Talk about an amateur assessment....
    I think they were talking about how deep the class would be if those two panned out. They think highly of Sulberan and said he was the best starting pitcher the Reds drafted, so he's probably seen as a second round type to them.

  12. #11
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,432

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Fairel is the one FSU expected back for another season, correct? Did we sign him above slot money?
    Matt Fairel signed for well above slot money ($250,000). That's about what a third or fourth rounder would get.

  13. #12
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    A lot of us have been calling for the Reds to throw money at the minor league system, instead of burning it on contracts to the Mike Stantons and Josh Foggs of the world. This year the front office started to do exactly that. It's really nice to see.

  14. #13
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    A lot of us have been calling for the Reds to throw money at the minor league system, instead of burning it on contracts to the Mike Stantons and Josh Foggs of the world. This year the front office started to do exactly that. It's really nice to see.
    I've been leading that charge and, while it was nice to see, they could have done a lot more on the draft side.

    Plenty of big names drop and Cincy should be swooping in to catch them in the middle to later rounds.

  15. #14
    Member icehole3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    3,109

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Sappelt reminded me of Billy Hatcher and Wiley looked like a NFL linebacker and was hitting the ball very hard.

  16. #15
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: BA Best Draft Tools

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Other interesting notes:

    Yonder Alonso has the best combination of short swing, plate discipline, and strength in the 2008 draft.

    21st rounder Theodis Bowe has been timed getting to first base in 3.9 seconds.

    David Sappelt was rated the best defensive player drafted by the Reds. They say he's got the speed and arm strength to play an above average center field. They also say Alonso can play a smooth first base.

    Zach Stewart's 96 mph fastball was the best in the Reds draft, but Sulbaran isn't far behind with his 91-94 mph heater. Tyler Cline was touching 94 in Instructional League. They also say Cline suffered a couple of freak injuries in Instructional League.

    Byron Wiley is the best athlete among position players, while Zach Stewart is the best among pitchers.

    Alonso is the closest to the majors with Stewart a close second.

    They referred to Sulbaran and Fairel as intriguing arms and they hold the key to success in this draft. They like Sulbaran a lot.
    I do like Sappelt also. He also has a little pop in his bat but needs to work on making better contact and improve his plate discipline of course. He's fringy at best right now but could be a solid contributor if he gets his offense refined.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25