Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

1 0.78%
  • Chris Dickerson

8 6.20%
  • Danny Dorn

7 5.43%
  • Juan Duran

15 11.63%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

7 5.43%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

21 16.28%
  • Devin Mesoraco

4 3.10%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.33%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

1 0.78%
  • Josh Roenicke

3 2.33%
  • Zach Stewart

6 4.65%
  • Daryl Thompson

16 12.40%
  • Chris Valaika

37 28.68%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What about Juan Duran?
    I've seen Duran play...though I haven't seen Yorman.

Duran is years away from impact, at the plate, and in the field. Yorman (from what I've heard from people in the know) will be playing a great CF within a year, with plus plus speed. Pure athletes like that have a chance of catching on quickly. Not that Duran isn't an athlete, but he is just a monster that is still catching up to his growing. I'm combining ceiling and ETA here, and Yorman's ceiling is high, and his bat is probably ahead of Duran's already, and his fielding definitely is, esp. at a premium position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This poll has been more diverse. Every prospect listed has at least one vote except for Carlos Fisher. Half of the prospects listed have received at least five votes. We're at 89 votes so far, hopefully we can get up in the 130 area before the poll closes.
    I was a little suprised to see a vote for Cozart this early. I know I have seen on this board comments about his defense being MLB ready but I ran across some scouting reports that said he had nice hands but below avg. range and below avg. speed so I was wondering wow can this be? How can his defense be that good if he doesn't have the range and is slow footed?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 10-24-2008 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    I was a little suprised to see a vote for Cozart this early. I know I have seen on this board comments about his defense being MLB ready but I ran acrossed some scouting reports that said he had nice hands but below avg. range and below avg. speed so I was wondering wow can this be? How can his defense be that good if he doesn't have the range and is slow footed?
    I believe his range is actually pretty good. Better than Janish with better footwork (Jani is a bit of a spaz sometimes on balls to his left), but not his arm, though it is still good. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    I was a little suprised to see a vote for Cozart this early. I know I have seen on this board comments about his defense being MLB ready but I ran acrossed some scouting reports that said he had nice hands but below avg. range and below avg. speed so I was wondering wow can this be? How can his defense be that good if he doesn't have the range and is slow footed?
    I remember reading those scouting reports too. I can't remember where they came from but they're wrong. The scouts and others on this board who've seen him play say he's got great range at shortstop. Here are some tidbits on him from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus:

From BP:

Zach Cozart, SS, Low-A Dayton (Reds)
    A second-round pick last year, Cozart entered pro ball as an outstanding defensive shortstop with little offense to offer. The first part of that equation hasn't changed, but the offensive aspect of his game has taken a shocking turn. After hitting just two home runs over 184 at-bats in last year's pro debut, Cozart just slugged his 11th and 12th home runs of the season over the weekend, and is now hitting a shocking .269/.330/.470 in 70 games for the Dragons. The on-base skills are still lacking, but the power development is downright shocking, and all he needed was some kind of offensive upside to project as an everyday player in the big leagues, because the defense really is that good.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7834

From BA:

Best Defensive Player: SS Zach Cozart (17) makes most of the plays a solid big league shortstop would be expected to make, and dazzles at times. His arm is above-average, his range is excellent and his hands are very reliable.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...r/p263207.html

Mississippi shortstop Zack Cozart (second round), the best defensive shortstop in the college game.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...es/264227.html

He's actually been compared defensively to Adam Everett, perhaps the best defensive SS in the game for a few years.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-24-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I remember reading those scouting reports too. I can't remember where they came from but they're wrong. The scouts and others on this board who've seen him play say he's got great range at shortstop. Here are some tidbits on him from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus:

From BP:

Zach Cozart, SS, Low-A Dayton (Reds)
    A second-round pick last year, Cozart entered pro ball as an outstanding defensive shortstop with little offense to offer. The first part of that equation hasn't changed, but the offensive aspect of his game has taken a shocking turn. After hitting just two home runs over 184 at-bats in last year's pro debut, Cozart just slugged his 11th and 12th home runs of the season over the weekend, and is now hitting a shocking .269/.330/.470 in 70 games for the Dragons. The on-base skills are still lacking, but the power development is downright shocking, and all he needed was some kind of offensive upside to project as an everyday player in the big leagues, because the defense really is that good.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7834

From BA:

Best Defensive Player: SS Zach Cozart (17) makes most of the plays a solid big league shortstop would be expected to make, and dazzles at times. His arm is above-average, his range is excellent and his hands are very reliable.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...r/p263207.html

Mississippi shortstop Zack Cozart (second round), the best defensive shortstop in the college game.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...es/264227.html

He's actually been compared defensively to Adam Everett, perhaps the best defensive SS in the game for a few years.
    Excellent post OBM!

I believe that was MLB.com who had his range listed as a negative.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Dorn, Valaika. Valaika, Dorn. Either way they are the top 2 considering their closeness to being MLB ready..

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Excellent post OBM!

I believe that was MLB.com who had his range listed as a negative.
    http://ww2.minorleaguebaseball.com/m....jsp?mc=cozart

Here is one of the reports I was talking about. It's kinda funny how two scouts can see the same player and come up with two different report. I have seen more good scoucting reports on Cozart then bad ones so I will go with the good ones for now untill I see him with my own eyes
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 10-25-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Whoever made that report didn't do their homework very well. Or caught him on a bad day because everyone else says he's got excellent range.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-25-2008 at 12:58 AM.

I'm going to go with my son William P. Wilson JR. for my 101st prospect.

He is little known prospect right now but he is a sweet swinging lefty(Throws Right) with good plate discipline and good contact. He doesn't have much pop right now but it he is projected to hit five to ten homers before his Little league career is over. He's got good hand and they maybe his best tool. He's a MI/C with avg. range. 2nd maybe where his futures at if not catcher. He made his first ALL-STAR team at the age of 8 his ETA is 2021. Remember you heard it here first. LOL

Last edited by Lockdwn11; 10-25-2008 at 02:12 AM.

nm

Billy-Richwood.jpg (52.2 KB)

Here is a pic of the future Red

Nice pic, lock. Kid has a nice swing. But I enjoyed the girl in the background better.

It's looking like we may have to do a runoff vote. If so, I guess we'll choose between the top four vote getters (Valaika, Thompson, Lotzkar, Duran).

It really is tough to vote on these choices without set criteria to work with. For example, to choose between Dickerson and Yorman there is a huge disparity. Yorman's potential might be higher but Dickerson has doe well in the bigs already. Yorman's career might end before he ever gets close to the bigs. What are you guys looking at to make your choices?

Valaika had a nice season, but it was driven by a .368 BABiP. I'm still suspicious.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-25-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Turn Off Ads?