Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

1 0.78%
  • Chris Dickerson

8 6.20%
  • Danny Dorn

7 5.43%
  • Juan Duran

15 11.63%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

7 5.43%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

21 16.28%
  • Devin Mesoraco

4 3.10%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.33%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

1 0.78%
  • Josh Roenicke

3 2.33%
  • Zach Stewart

6 4.65%
  • Daryl Thompson

16 12.40%
  • Chris Valaika

37 28.68%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #5 prospect?

Easily Chris Valaika for me. He can just flat out hit.

I'm going with Lotzkar. After the top 3, a case can be made for the next 15 or so in about any order. I took Stubbs at 4 since he probably has the most trade value. Lotzkar as the only TOR starter candidate in this poll probably also has pretty good value so he's next for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm going with Lotzkar. After the top 3, a case can be made for the next 15 or so in about any order. I took Stubbs at 4 since he probably has the most trade value. Lotzkar as the only TOR starter candidate in this poll probably also has pretty good value so he's next for me.
    Maybe I am crazy, but prospects #4-#18 are nowhere near interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe I am crazy, but prospects #4-#18 are nowhere near interchangeable.
    I've got Hanigan at 18. He's going to be the Reds catcher. I could argue number 4 may never reach that level.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've got Hanigan at 18. He's going to be the Reds catcher. I could argue number 4 may never reach that level.
    I have Hanigan at 20, but he isn't nearly the prospect that Stubbs/Valaika are.

I'm gonna go with Kyle Lotzkar at #5. He was doing some special things in the Midwest League as an 18 year old before going down with an injury. He had a 3.58 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 37.2 innings, an amazing 12.10 K/9. He was especially dominant in his last six starts (21.2 IP, 1.70 ERA, 9 BB/26 K). He's got a great pitchers frame at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds. His fastball can already tough 95 and has room to improve as his frame fills out. He also throws a curveball and changeup. All three pitches project as plus pitches. He's got true ace potential IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm gonna go with Kyle Lotzkar at #5. He was doing some special things in the Midwest League as an 18 year old before going down with an injury. He had a 3.58 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 37.2 innings, an amazing 12.10 K/9. He was especially dominant in his last six starts (21.2 IP, 1.70 ERA, 9 BB/26 K). He's got a great pitchers frame at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds. His fastball can already tough 95 and has room to improve as his frame fills out. He also throws a curveball and changeup. All three pitches project as plus pitches. He's got true ace potential IMO.
    I love Lotzkar's arm and pitches and his age - 18. He has everything to learn about pitching. Next year, the key for me will be that he logs 100-125 innings at low A. I don't even care about the performance (so long as his ERA is under 5.00). His health, quality repetitions and development are the focus.

Gotta be Daryl Thompson here. No way I'm taking Lotzkar over him -- injuries or not.

After a great deal of debate I'm going Valaika I went Lotzkar at #4 and I should have voted for Valaika I just can't ignore the fact that this Kid has hit at every place he has gone and still playing SS. I will be putting Lotzkar at #6 on my list

Yorman....pretty close to a no brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Yorman....pretty close to a no brainer for me.
    What about Juan Duran?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    What about Juan Duran?
    I've seen Duran play...though I haven't seen Yorman.

Duran is years away from impact, at the plate, and in the field. Yorman (from what I've heard from people in the know) will be playing a great CF within a year, with plus plus speed. Pure athletes like that have a chance of catching on quickly. Not that Duran isn't an athlete, but he is just a monster that is still catching up to his growing. I'm combining ceiling and ETA here, and Yorman's ceiling is high, and his bat is probably ahead of Duran's already, and his fielding definitely is, esp. at a premium position.

Francisco fifth. Big time production in tough High A league for a young guy.

Valaika probably a steadier hitter, but Francisco has the big power upside and great arm.

Lotzkar, Duran, and Mesoraco are fine prospects too, just hard to judge based on current track record. Lotzkar succeeded at Dayton, but only 37 innings.

Roenicke hasn't had many votes so far, but will be throwing flames for the Reds sometime next year. Had good year at AAA. Still a top ten prospect.

And remember, at mid-season Thompson was number one on many charts.

Francisco here, Valaika next on my list.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-23-2008 at 10:24 PM.

I feel like I have to put one of Dominican bonus babies in the top 5 - so its Duran for me. Having voted that way, Valaika earned his credits this year. I feel very sure he will be a ML regular. I just worry that he'll be a utility guy because he won't stay at SS.

Turn Off Ads?