Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newport on the Levee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newport on the Levee

Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out this weekend and I wanted to eat at some places in NKY. I figured Newport on the Levee would be a great choice. However, I'm not sure which places to eat or entertain ourselves (before we head back home ). I need some advice from some of my fellow RedZoners about Newport.

Retired

Re: Newport on the Levee

How much are you looking to spend/impress?

Hmmmm, it's a first date thing so nothing too overbearing. Just a nice dinner with some type of entertainment that doesn't necessarily involve a movie. I just looking for some alternatives. Newport's website doesn't really give me enough info to look for.

Retired

The Funnybone is there, you could try that for after dinner entertainment, I'm not sure what their schedule is though. Same with Shadowbox.

For food, lots to choose from. Brio is good, but not cheap. If you are looking for something simple, there is a Deweys also, best pizza and calzone's in this area. Habanero is also good if she likes latin food, I haven't been to the one in Newport, I usually go to clifton.

The japanese place (forgot the name) is good, sushi as well if you like it. It's on the left hand side if your facing Cincinnati. Arnie's across the street is more low key, bar/restaurant type atmosphere. Can't miss it on top of the little hill, parking on the right. Eat and drink for $40-50.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    The japanese place (forgot the name) is good, sushi as well if you like it. It's on the left hand side if your facing Cincinnati. Arnie's across the street is more low key, bar/restaurant type atmosphere. Can't miss it on top of the little hill, parking on the right. Eat and drink for $40-50.
    Maybe I only go to Arnies on bad nights, but its far from low key on the nights I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe I only go to Arnies on bad nights, but its far from low key on the nights I have been.
    Still haven't recovered my hearing yet. I wouldn't recommend it as a place for a first date. Too loud and rowdy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Still haven't recovered my hearing yet. I wouldn't recommend it as a place for a first date. Too loud and rowdy.

Good thing you weren't inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Is that the place we were at after the Opening Day game? My ears are still ringing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    The Funnybone is there, you could try that for after dinner entertainment, I'm not sure what their schedule is though. Same with Shadowbox.

For food, lots to choose from. Brio is good, but not cheap. If you are looking for something simple, there is a Deweys also, best pizza and calzone's in this area. Habanero is also good if she likes latin food, I haven't been to the one in Newport, I usually go to clifton.
    I was less than impressed with Habanero. Maybe it's just that location since you said you didn't eat at the Newport one.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

You really can't go wrong with any restaurant you pick over there. It depends on what you are in the mood for. The wife and I used to go over there, eat dinner, walk around, and catch a movie.

Just a tip: it's probably not a good idea to take a first date to a stand-up comedy performance. You need to understand her sense of humor first. Unless you know her pretty well, it could be quite uncomfortable.

My wife's boss told me that for his first date with the girl he eventually married, he considered taking her to see a young upstart comedian named Sam Kinison. Luckily, he didn't, because he probably never would have seen her again.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Hey guys, I'm taking a girl out this weekend and I wanted to eat at some places in NKY. I figured Newport on the Levee would be a great choice. However, I'm not sure which places to eat or entertain ourselves (before we head back home ). I need some advice from some of my fellow RedZoners about Newport.

If you guys like seafood, Mitchells Fish Market on the Levee has really good food.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I always liked Dee Felice, although it's over there in Covington. Great jazz there.

Mitchells does indeed have some good seafood, but I don't think they have music. Of course, the Hofbrau Haus is there, but I'm not sure if that's a real date kind of place. If it were me, I'd make the mistake of paying more attention to the beer than my date.

York St. Cafe
    - Not on the levy, but not far south either.
    I'd been there a few times and they had music, too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

DT, what sort of price range are you looking for? As folks said, there's a myriad of price ranges at Newport on the Levee. I might guess that you're looking for something in the Dewey's or Habanero range. I've been to Dewey's there and they do have some of the best Pizza around. If you're not familiar with them, you do have the option of each getting a different type pizza, but on the same pie; including you getting red sauce and her white, etc.

I like Habanero's in Clifton, but have no idea how the new one down there is.

Since you're not wanting a movie and some folks have recommended not taking in a comedy club until you know her better, you might look at The Southgate House for some music. It's right across from the Levee: http://www.southgatehouse.com/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?