Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Five baseball dark horses for the 2009 season (Reds mentioned)

Five baseball dark horses for the 2009 season (Reds mentioned)

Five baseball dark horses for the 2009 season

By By Sean McClelland

Staff Writer

Friday, October 24, 2008

Florida Marlins. Think the Rays have some arms? What if Josh Johnson, Anibel Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco, Scott Olsen and Andrew Miller all stay healthy?

Cleveland Indians. They came within one win of the World Series in 2007, let's not forget. And after a slow start in '08, they bounced back to finish .500.

Houston Astros. After a strong run in '08, what happens if their rumored acquisition of San Diego Padres ace Jake Peavy becomes reality?

Oakland Athletics. They've been collecting prospects for a while. It should pay off soon.

Cincinnati Reds. Why not? They have a good core. Says analyst Bill James, referring to Joey Votto, Edinson Volquez, Jay Bruce and Johnny Cueto, "They have four young lions everybody would love to have."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...aseglance.html

I agree with four of the five. I don't see the Astros contending. They're getting old and don't have a farm system to provide them with young talent.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Five baseball dark horses for the 2009 season (Reds mentioned)

I'll be glad when the Reds are finally being mentioned as favorites instead of darkhorse or underdog. I'll take being a darkhorse for now even though that generally means "somewhat of a longshot, has a chance if everything breaks right". I'd prefer "most talented team in the NL, is the clear favorite". Hoepfully Walt gets them there soon.

With what they have up the middle right now, the Reds are not a Dark Horse.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    With what they have up the middle right now, the Reds are not a Dark Horse.
    I'm fine with Brandon Phillips and Chris Dickerson. And there are far worse options than Ryan Hanigan behind the plate IMO. Sure I'd like to find another catcher with some pop to platoon with him but he's probably a better hitter than Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. We're a good shortstop away from being solid up the middle IMO. Hopefully Walt understands this and can acquire a SS like Khalil Greene or Erick Aybar.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm fine with Brandon Phillips and Chris Dickerson. And there are far worse options than Ryan Hanigan behind the plate IMO. Sure I'd like to find another catcher with some pop to platoon with him but he's probably a better hitter than Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. We're a good shortstop away from being solid up the middle IMO. Hopefully Walt understands this and can acquire a SS like Khalil Greene or Erick Aybar.
    I'm not going to assume Dickerson will be the starting CF so I won't give credit there just yet. I'd say the Reds are very good at 2B, weak at SS, average at best at C, and average to above average in CF depending on who Dusty decides to start. That's far from solid IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'm not going to assume Dickerson will be the starting CF so I won't give credit there just yet. I'd say the Reds are very good at 2B, weak at SS, average at best at C, and average to above average in CF depending on who Dusty decides to start. That's far from solid IMO.
    We're far from solid right now but an acquisition of a good shortstop pushes the Reds into the solid category in my book.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Seems like the REds are mentioned as "dark horses" every single year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    We're far from solid right now but an acquisition of a good shortstop pushes the Reds into the solid category in my book.
    I guess I can agree with that. A good SS along with Hanigan catching, Hairston/Dickerson platooning in CF and Phillips at 2B is alright. Although I'd like to see an upgrade at catcher too if possible. My gut tells me neither will happen. We'll have Hanigan behind the plate and Gonzo/Keppinger at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I'll be glad when the Reds are finally being mentioned as favorites instead of darkhorse or underdog. I'll take being a darkhorse for now even though that generally means "somewhat of a longshot, has a chance if everything breaks right". I'd prefer "most talented team in the NL, is the clear favorite". Hoepfully Walt gets them there soon.
    Especially when he lists his "darkhorse" candidates, and the Reds are last on the "darkhorse" list to boot. :deadhorse Oh that is deadhorse not darkhorse.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    No doubt. Maybe one day we can land a first-round bounce like the Brewers did.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I can remember back a few years ago when that label was placed on the Pirates. That has worked out well. :
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

The REDS' 2009 Dark Horse is severely handicapped with a toothpick-chewing 230 lb jockey.

Just getting out of the gate will be tough.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    The REDS' 2009 Dark Horse is severely handicapped with a toothpick-chewing 230 lb jockey.

He never goes to the right place in order at the starting gate either. He also likes to put his saddle on backwards.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post

Excellent point. Hopefully though Elmers will start selling a brand with woodchips in it after next season at the latest.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?