Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

1 0.72%
  • Chris Dickerson

11 7.91%
  • Danny Dorn

12 8.63%
  • Juan Duran

21 15.11%
  • Carlos Fisher

2 1.44%
  • Juan Francisco

9 6.47%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

38 27.34%
  • Matt Maloney

0 0%
  • Devin Mesoraco

6 4.32%
  • Ramon Ramirez

5 3.60%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

4 2.88%
  • Josh Roenicke

0 0%
  • Zach Stewart

8 5.76%
  • Daryl Thompson

18 12.95%
  • Justin Turner

4 2.88%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect #5 - Chris Valaika

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Duran Duran for me.

Once again, I'll go with Kyle Lotzkar.

Here's my reasoning from the last thread:

Lotzkar was doing some special things in the Midwest League as an 18 year old before going down with an injury. He had a 3.58 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 37.2 innings, an amazing 12.10 K/9. He was especially dominant in his last six starts (21.2 IP, 1.70 ERA, 9 BB/26 K). He's got a great pitchers frame at 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds. His fastball can already tough 95 and has room to improve as his frame fills out. He also throws a curveball and changeup. All three pitches project as plus pitches. He's got true ace potential IMO.

BTW, this poll will be open for three days to make up for the slower traffic on here during the weekends.

Where is Chris Heisey?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Once again, I'll go with Kyle Lotzkar.

Here's my reasoning from the last thread:

Lotzkar was doing some special things in the Midwest League as an 18 year old before going down with an injury. He had a 3.58 ERA and 50 strikeouts in 37.2 innings, an amazing 12.10 K/9. He was especially dominant in his last six starts (21.2 IP, 1.70 ERA, 9 BB/26 K).
    Special? Nothing that Ty Howington, Justin Gillman, Ryan Snare, John Koronka, Bobby Basham, Calvin Medlock and Jordan Smith haven't done.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Where is Chris Heisey?
    No one has nominated him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Special? Nothing that Ty Howington, Justin Gillman, Ryan Snare, John Koronka, Bobby Basham, Calvin Medlock and Jordan Smith haven't done.
    Those guys don't come close to comparing with Lotzkar.

-Ty Howington didn't pitch in Dayton until he was 19. His numbers: 5.27 ERA, 7.56 K/9.

-Justin Gillman was also 19 when he reach Dayton (3.49 ERA, 6.98 K/9).

-Snare posted a 3.05 ERA and 9.23 K/9 in Dayton...but he was 22 years old.

-Koronoa reach Dayton at age 20, posted 0.75 ERA and 9.38 K/9 in 24 innings.

-Basham posted a 1.64 ERA and 9.96 K/9 at age 22 in Dayton.

-Medlock at age 21 posted a 2.57 ERA and 10.55 K/9 in Dayton.

-Jordan Smith didn't pitch in Dayton until he was 21 years old and his numbers (3.84 ERA, 6.46 K/9) weren't on level with Lotzkar's.

It's surprising to me how under the radar he is, but Thompson was dominant in AA and very good in AAA at age 22. He may only have a mid-rotation ceiling, but of the guys who have touched the upper minors, he's got to be at the top of the list.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If you're going upper minors, look no further than Danny Dorn. Solid defensively (okay, he won't actively hurt you), decent speed, and a nice power bat. He's, at worst, a PH with pop at the big league level and probably the southpaw side of a really productive platoon. If he can hit lefties at all, he may even progress to All Star upside.

I know that doesn't sound like much, but, times were, that was the best the Cincinnati pipeline could muster. He's got an intriguing bat and I think he breaks out this year to the tune of 290/375/550 if he's healthy.

I went with Duran. He's got the most potential of any prospect in this organization, IMO. His power potential is off the charts, and has been compared to the best in the game. If he develops in any way like we think he might, he's going to be a superstar.

Frankly, I just wrote those sentences explaining why I picked Duran, but the real reason is because I didn't see Kyle Lotzkar. That guy is a stud.

Thompson.

In these polls I generally avoid voting for anyone below AA unless they are an absolute 'A' prospect. Its a long way from Dayton to Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    -Ty Howington didn't pitch in Dayton until he was 19. His numbers: 5.27 ERA, 7.56 K/9.

Incorrect.
    He also pitched in Dayton in 2001 and went 4-0 with a 1.15 ERA in 39 Innings with a 10.85 strikeout ration and a 0.62 whip. The sample size is similiar to Lotzkar's this year. He also had a legit. 95 mph fastball his first two years of pro ball. I was unaware that Lotzkar is hitting 95. What is your source for that info?
    I picked Duran - who is even rawer than Lotzkar. However, the Reds org. has displayed the ability to develop OFers, while failing to show the ability to develop HS pitchers.
    Last edited by Betterread; 10-25-2008 at 11:46 PM.

I worry about Lotzkar's injury and that devalues him in my mind. I went with Dorn because I think his bat will become Walt's fall back position in LF, if he can't swing the right trade.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Incorrect.
    He also pitched in Dayton in 2001 and went 4-0 with a 1.15 ERA in 39 Innings with a 10.85 strikeout ration and a 0.62 whip. The sample size is similiar to Lotzkar's this year. He also had a legit. 95 mph fastball his first two years (2000 and 2001) of pro ball. I was unaware that Lotzkar is hitting 95. What is your source for that info?
    Re-read what I said. I said Howington didn't pitch in Dayton until he was 19 years old. He then repeated the next year at age 20 and dominated. As for him touching 95:

From BP:

The Good: A big physical right-hander with a lightning-quick arm, Lotzkar already delivers low-90s fastballs with regularity, can touch 95, and projects for more down the road as he works on his craft. His mechanics are solid and his command is surprisingly good considering his relatively limited experience.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=7060

From BA:

Lotzkar’s body began to develop last summer, as he added 15 pounds of muscle and two inches before his senior year of high school in British Columbia. Now 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, he has a fastball that reached 95 mph in the GCL before a late promotion to the Rookie-level Pioneer League.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...es/264871.html

Lotzkar, 18, was the 53rd overall pick in last year’s draft after shooting up draft boards when he showed a mid-90s fastball, a 78-82 mph curveball and a potentially plus changeup.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...00808&paged=16
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-26-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Turn Off Ads?