Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!

Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by bthomasiscool View Post
    stop looking at naughty websites...

Do you mean that we will have to stop lurking at the other major leagues teams sites, to stop ogling and leering over their better statistics? I don’t know if I can survive a day without a fix, seeing real OBP and SLG and drooling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bthomasiscool View Post
    stop looking at naughty websites...
    Actually, I did a search for 'homo sapen' that took me to a naughty homosexual site. I'm guessing that's where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I've heard that too and have wondered if it's correct. That certainly seems like it would cast a wide net of potential victims. Creepy, unemployed victims who hang out at the public library all day.
    warez.com is the worst. never go there. p2p sites are just as bad.

a few tips. do not run more than 1 spyware scanner. it causes problems.

Ad Aware is great, but I'd go with a one stop shopping solution: AVG.

Anti-spyware/Anti-rootkit:
    http://www.avg.com/home-and-office-security-comparison

Anti-virus:
    http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition

They have pay versions, but both of these will do for average users.

Also get a better firewall than the one provided by windows. Here is one free option:

ZoneAlarm:
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...firewall_b.jsp

There are probably a dozen more. Just google free firewall.

Mostly agree about the browsers. However, IE7 is much improved as far as security goes, and IE8 is due to be released some time in the next couple of months. The beta is available now, and it does have increased security as well. That said, IE will always be a bigger risk.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

While it's a bad idea to run more than one antivirus utility, it's OK and even a good idea to run more than one spyware utility. I run Ad-Aware every few weeks after the Norton suite does its thing.
    /r/reds

I have been using Spybot and Ad-Aware, and Ad-Aware didn't detect any of my latest problems (but Spybot did).

My whole problem stemmed from having the firewall turned off, I'm pretty sure. I'm going to give ZoneAlarm a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    While it's a bad idea to run more than one antivirus utility, it's OK and even a good idea to run more than one spyware utility. I run Ad-Aware every few weeks after the Norton suite does its thing.
    In previous versions of AdAware, it would detect Spybot as malware. that may have been corrected. It is NOT a good idea to have more than one inline scanner running at one time. that can cause some problems.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?