Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not Rios?

Why not Rios?

Realistically I feel Matt Holliday would be a long shot and require much more talent than the Reds are willing to part with. The outfielder I would love to see the Reds obtain is Alex Rios. He is signed through 2014 for $64 million and also has an option for 2015 that would make the contract $77.5 million. I feel a package of Daryl Thompson, Drew Stubbs, and Jim Maloney would be fair and draw some interest.

The key free agents I want to see the Reds go after would be Orlando Hudson (moving Phillips back to short) and John Lackey.

Orlando Hudson 3 year 7.5 million/per
    John Lackey 4 year 12.5 million/per
    Resign - Affeldt, Weathers, Hairston

CF. Chris Dickerson
    2B. Orlando Hudson
    1B. Joey Votto
    LF. Alex Rios
    RF. Jay Bruce
    3B. Edwin Encarnacion
    SS. Brandon Phillips
    C. Ryan Hanigan

Aaron Harang
    Edinson Volquez
    John Lackey
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto

David Weathers
    Micah Owings
    Bill Bray
    Jeremy Affeldt
    Josh Roenicke
    Jared Burton
    Francisco Cordero

Realistic? or just wishful thinking?
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose.

-Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not Rios?

Going after Rios was brought up last year.

I'm not against it, for the right people, of course. He's young and his best years are ahead of him.
    Who's on first?

What do you do with Votto after Alonso's ready?

Rios could play center, bruce in right and Votto in left. The reds could then use dickerson to spell guys and if they needed a faster runner in late game situations.

i would love those signings, we would be a much better team, and a lock for the playoffs with that pitching staff. I think Lackey will cost more than that though.

The real question is why would the Jays trade Rios?

I read somewhere that they may try Alonso at 3B next season.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    The real question is why would the Jays trade Rios?
    The Blue Jays are not that bad of team right now. There would be no reason to trade him unless they were overwhelmed.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Also Lackey is going to get 15-20 mil a season. He may take a slight discount to stay in Los Anaheim, but I think the Angels have an option on him this season. He's a very underrated pitch, and I would love the Reds to acquire him but I don't see it being possible.

As far as Hudson, he was a guy a really wanted the Reds to go after.... but I've been reading that he's lost a step and that his defense this season was no where close to what its been in the past. This whole SS thing could be solved by sliding BP over. There's really no reason not to do it, unless he's objecting for some reason. We could fill the 2B position much easier than SS from within the organization, I just don't understand the hold up.

Alonso himself said it best, I am good enough athletically to play left or 3rd, I will play wherever I am needed. Let him go to left or 3rd his is alot more agile than Votto.
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

There is no way that Alonso moves better than Votto. Votto is long and athletic, but he lacks the hands and the feel around the bag to be a top notch 1st baseman. Alonso is shorter and stockier, but he has great instincts around the bag. He could probably play 3rd or LF in a pinch, but Votto is athletic enough to make a good OF, it just won't happen overnight.

i think it would take alot more to go for Rios becasue of his Contract then go for Holliday, the rockies made it clear that they want to shop Holliday and that takes away his value, if you remember last year everybody knew the Twins were shoppings santana so they offered less than his value, this will happen to Holliday as well, about hudson i do like that idea, and if not hudson i like furcal, there is no chance of getting lackey because the Angles will lock him up

I wonder if the Rocks would consider Atkins for Arroyo and a Spec? I also wonder if Atkins would be able to play LF? (or if Votto could while Atkins was @ 1st.)

Do that move and then sign Oliver Perez!
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Rios would be tight. I could see him here for sure. Vernon Wells would be even more of a splash, IMO
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Rios would be tight. I could see him here for sure. Vernon Wells would be even more of a splash, IMO
    Vernon Wells has not looked good the last two years.

Edit:

He was solid last year. I was thinking about the year before. It would probably cost a good amount to get him, but I'd be ok with that signing.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Turn Off Ads?