Turn Off Ads?

Thread: And the new Bowling Green (KY) Minor League Team is...

And the new Bowling Green (KY) Minor League Team is...

Well after of nearly 2 years of odds and ends posts about the new Single A ball team coming to Bowling Green, KY, and it's affiliation today we finally got our answer. It was announced many months back that it would be affiliated with the Tampa Bay Rays.

With the online vote from such choices as:
    The Sparkplugs
    The Mammoths
    Nitro
    Bluegills
    Turbos
    and The Cave Shrimp (no thanks to many of you that voted 100 times trying to be funny, on this one-ha ha)

The name that won by a landslide:
    The Bowling Green Hot Rods

Check them out here:
    http://www.bowlinggreenprobaseball.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: And the new Bowling Green (KY) Minor League Team is...

Hot Rods was easily my least favorite name of the ones available.

yeah. I don't like that name at all. You would think that a city that gave us a red blob and a team named the Hilltoppers would be a little more creative in the naming of their baseball team.

I guess Chevrolet had a problem with Corvettes or Stingrays?

I would have loved to see the mascot for the Cave Shrimp.

I like the Mammoths

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    I would have loved to see the mascot for the Cave Shrimp.
    I think it could have been great. This little shrimp guy wearing sun glasses and a cane for beating people. It would have been imaginative and memorable-instantly awesome.

Mammoths would have been a close second.

Hot Rods is historically lame. :thumbdown

Nope, don't like it. Just doesn't sound right. At least Cave Shrimp would've been unique.

I live in Bowling Green and I'm happy with the Hot Rods name. That name may not be as unique as some of the other names, but it does represent this area very well. Classic cars and 'hot rods' are a way of life here. Almost every weekend from May - October you will find a major event here in town that involves classic cars. They range from nationally recognized events at Beech Bend raceway and Corvette functions at the National Corvette Museum to smaller local events such as the weekly Monday night 'shine and show' gathering at the local Santa Fe Steakhouse. Also, a lot of people in this town depend on the automotive industry and those classic car events for their income. Hotels, restaurants and retail outlets rake in millions of dollars over the course of a summer driven by those events. Not to mention the people who are employed by the GM Corvette plant and Holley Performance Automotive Products, whose corporate office and manufucturing is located here.

It's not a bad marketing move by the team either....believe me, Bubba down the street is much more likely to buy a cap with a hot rod logo on it than an blind shrimp swinging a bat.
    Last edited by MrsHammer; 10-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.

BTW, here's the logo:

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHammer View Post
    It's not a bad marketing move by the team either....believe me, Bubba down the street is much more likely to buy a cap with a hot rod logo on it than an blind shrimp swinging a bat.
    Well said Mrs. Hammer. With all of these Hot Rodders coming to town every weekend you can sell them a jersey/hat that says Hot Rods on it, and they can wear it back in Michigan, Minnesota, wherever they are coming from. Even if they don't give a darn about baseball. They've had some serious classic car events in town this summer, and serious $$ coming to this town. Say what you will about the name, it's a smart move.

As a former resident of the city I can say.....lame.

In Bowling Green we always tried to be a bigger town than we really were. I'm happy they have a team there, and I'll get to a few games I'm sure, but the name is a failure.

No one associates BG with hot rods. The locals hate the classic cars congesting the roads.

Bad move. Bad bad move. They had a chance to establish a unique brand, and instead they reinvented generic.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?