Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jockety Ready to Start Building

Jockety Ready to Start Building

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

Noted quote:

"I've always liked Mark Mulder, and I'd at least be interested in checking out his health status and seeing what his interest is in coming here," Jocketty said. "We could certainly use a left-handed starter, but we'd want to see if he's healthy."
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jockety Ready to Start Building

Here's the full article:

Jocketty ready to start building
    As GM Meetings approach, Reds eye righty bats; Mulder a topic

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Let the Hot Stove season begin. With Wednesday's conclusion of the World Series, the intrigue about potential offseason maneuvers, trades and free-agent signings really takes off.

The General Managers Meetings start on Monday in Dana Point, Calif., and provide the first opportunity for face-to-face trade talks among club executives. Reds GM Walt Jocketty, who spent 13 years in the same post with the Cardinals, often likes talking deals with his counterparts at the GM Meetings.

"It's normally a place we start laying the foundation and see what people are talking about," Jocketty said on Thursday. "You don't often make the trade there, but you start laying the groundwork."

The Reds are most in need of some right-handed hitters, with at least one of them able to play left field. The organization is deeper with younger talent than in past years, especially with starting pitching -- something often coveted around the league.

Names and teams will be linked throughout the winter as the rumor mill heats up -- especially during the GM Meetings.

"A number of trades I've made were first discussed at the GM Meetings and made during the Winter Meetings," Jocketty said. "The Jason Marquis and Adam Wainwright trade with Atlanta [in 2003] was started at the GM Meetings but finished at the Winter Meetings. With Mark Mulder, the talks with Oakland started at the GM Meetings and finished after the Winter Meetings. With Jim Edmonds [in 2000], we talked at the GM Meetings and didn't get it done until Spring Training."

Speaking of Mulder, Jocketty provided an indication that a left-handed starter might also be on the Reds' wish list. The oft-injured Mulder was acquired by Jocketty and the Cardinals in December 2004.

"I've always liked Mark Mulder, and I'd at least be interested in checking out his health status and seeing what his interest is in coming here," Jocketty said. "We could certainly use a left-handed starter, but we'd want to see if he's healthy."

St. Louis confirmed last week that it would not pick up Mulder's $11 million option for 2009, which will make him a free agent.

Shoulder problems have limited Mulder to 12 2/3 innings the past two seasons, and he hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2005. He told MLB.com earlier this week he wouldn't consider signing anywhere until he's physically able to pitch the way he's capable.

In the meantime, Jocketty has continued talks with several of the Reds' own free agents. The club will have nine but is likely to talk with five -- David Weathers, Jerry Hairston Jr., Jeremy Affeldt, Mike Lincoln and Javier Valentin.

"We've just basically talked to them to see what their position is," Jocketty said.

The club has prioritized bringing back Weathers and Hairston, but Jocketty said no offers have been tendered yet. Eligible players were able to begin filing as free agents on Thursday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_cin

I thought this was the most informative part of it.

In the meantime, Jocketty has continued talks with several of the Reds' own free agents. The club will have nine but is likely to talk with five -- David Weathers, Jerry Hairston Jr., Jeremy Affeldt, Mike Lincoln and Javier Valentin.

"We've just basically talked to them to see what their position is," Jocketty said.

The club has prioritized bringing back Weathers and Hairston, but Jocketty said no offers have been tendered yet. Eligible players were able to begin filing as free agents on Thursday
    Oh come on Walt, how exactly does Valentin serve a purpose to this team? Bye, Bye Javy you were a model citizen but beyond that not much else!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I thought this was the most informative part of it.

Oh come on Walt, how exactly does Valentin serve a purpose to this team? Bye, Bye Javy you were a model citizen but beyond that not much else!
    What do they see in him? I hope this is just Reds PR assuming that he is on the list. Valentin is the useless player. He can't play catcher, he can't play first or third well, and he swings at most anything and occasionally gets a hit. That describes 30% of MLB players, so why the attachment?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Pitcher, Utility, Pitcher, Pitcher, Catcher. Geez Walt!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Javier is the penultimate club guy - and every team has one or two of them. It's a lot easier to be coldly analytical about whether a guy should be kept or not when you don't know them personally. What I call "club" guys have a few things in common. They aren't that good but somehow return year after year. They accept a bench role willingly - they KNOW they aren't very good. They are model teammates and front office mouthpieces - they'll never call out the GM or make any waves. They are likeable and work hard to be liked. They usually have one key asset that the media plays up (because they make sure the media guys are their friends, too) even if that asset is mostly a mirage, as in Javy's pinch hitting ability. They are cheap. 7 or 8 hundred grand is a lot of money if you're a pink slip away from working for a normal wage because most club guys know their current team may well be the only one who'll keep them around.

I'm not a huge fan of Valentin either, but I can see why Walt is talking to him.

Ross is gone. Bako is gone. Hannigan is a rookie. Not a whole lot of depth.

The Reds have a lot of holes to fill, and are trying to infuse some youth. If they get Valentin signed quick and cheap, that's one less headache to worry about this offseason. If we later pick up a great young catcher, Hannigan can move to back up, and Valentin's salary won't be a problem.

It takes a lot of depth to make it through a ML season. Every team has to carry some guys like Valentin and Maj just to make it through the season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Pitcher, Utility, Pitcher, Pitcher, Thirdbaseman. Geez Walt!
    Fixed that for ya...

Just say no to Javy. If you've got to have a uility guy who can catch there's Castillo. Don't bring back Valentin to take a spot that could be filled by a decent RH PHer with pop.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Just say no to Javy. If you've got to have a uility guy who can catch there's Castillo. Don't bring back Valentin to take a spot that could be filled by a decent RH PHer with pop.
    Great point. I forgot about Castillo. I retract what I said earlier.
    I don't see why they are talking to Valentin.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Javier is the penultimate club guy - and every team has one or two of them. It's a lot easier to be coldly analytical about whether a guy should be kept or not when you don't know them personally. What I call "club" guys have a few things in common. They aren't that good but somehow return year after year. They accept a bench role willingly - they KNOW they aren't very good. They are model teammates and front office mouthpieces - they'll never call out the GM or make any waves. They are likeable and work hard to be liked. They usually have one key asset that the media plays up (because they make sure the media guys are their friends, too) even if that asset is mostly a mirage, as in Javy's pinch hitting ability. They are cheap. 7 or 8 hundred grand is a lot of money if you're a pink slip away from working for a normal wage because most club guys know their current team may well be the only one who'll keep them around.
    Mmmmmm intangibles, yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Great point. I forgot about Castillo. I retract what I said earlier.
    I don't see why they are talking to Valentin.
    Javy may have been our best pinch hitter last year (until Owings came along), which illustrates perfectly just how crappy our bench was.

They prolly keep both Valentin and Castill oo in addition to Hannigan and a full-time backup catcher. Wonder if Owings can catch too? Maybe he can catch himself - now that would be true versatility. LOL
    Last edited by corkedbat; 10-31-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Javy

If i were walt i'd offer Javy a minor league deal (for depth). say $75,000.
    if he makes the Reds he gets the minimum $400,000 plus incentives
    up to $1M.

if he gets a better offer elsewhere then good luck to him.

Mark Mulder is moldy bread. There is nothing to check out. I am really hoping Cincy's approach to the off-season involves looking into actual fresh-baked goods.

I simply don't understand Javy's role on the team. He's a nominal catcher defensively. He doesn't have much power. He's 33 and hasn't had a good season since he was 29 -- his only good season.

Bench guys should have something they excel at. Play stellar defense. Hit for power against lefties. Get a great bunt down. Something.... I can understand the want of one super utility type. That guy is Castillo.

Valentin simply doesn't merit a spot on the 25 man roster -- at any price. I'd rather have Craig Tatum as my backup catcher.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?