Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If you could work for any front office...

If you could work for any front office...

Purely hypothetical...

Say you wanted to get into baseball with aspirations of one day becoming a GM. Which front office would you want to work for (as your first job) and why?

Factors to consider:

-Mentorship opportunity
    -Identity of General Manager
    -Job security
    -Size of market
    -Chance for upward mobility
    -Culture
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: If you could work for any front office...

My factors:

-Young GM
    -Stats oriented
    -Small to mid-size market
    -Midwest

Kevin Towers and San Diego would be cool, but I don't think I would want to live on the west coast. The best fit I can think of would be Cleveland with Mark Shapiro. The only other club I can think of that fits this criteria would be St. Louis, but I was raised to dislike St. Louis and I have never visited the city. Pittsburgh is another option but, well, they are Pittsburgh...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Re: If you could work for any front office...

Definitely Cleveland. I've been to events and heard Mark Shapiro, Chris Antonetti and others in the organization speak and I definitely get the feeling they're an organization that appreciates hard work and good thinking rather than who you know. From what I've heard, it's not always that way with other organizations, some of whom fill their org chart with former players and family of the GM. And then there's a Bowden front office, which I hear is like a real life model of Machiavelli's "The Prince."

If I were a college undergrad trying to get into baseball, I'd definitely try to get an internship with the Indians. They also put on a career fairs with the Cavs and Browns, so you can make good connections in the sports management field.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?