Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

1 0.86%
  • Chris Dickerson

16 13.79%
  • Danny Dorn

11 9.48%
  • Juan Duran

21 18.10%
  • Carlos Fisher

0 0%
  • Juan Francisco

8 6.90%
  • Chris Heisey

1 0.86%
  • Matt Maloney

1 0.86%
  • Devin Mesoraco

5 4.31%
  • Ramon Ramirez

2 1.72%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

4 3.45%
  • Josh Roenicke

4 3.45%
  • Zach Stewart

5 4.31%
  • Daryl Thompson

33 28.45%
  • Justin Turner

4 3.45%
  • Pedro Viola

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #7 prospect?

Dickerson. easily.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I will never understand how Stubbs goes 4 and Dickerson is still on the board.
    Age.

It was a tossup between Ramirez and Thompson for me. I went with Thompson.

Dickerson.

Thompson, like Lotzkar, is too fragile for me to get too excited about at this point. I'd probably put 15 more guys ahead of him. Hope I'm wrong.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'm sticking with Duran. He has as much as hype as anyone in the system.

Dickerson struck out more than one third of his official (non-walk) at bats. That's a very high strikeout rate. It's a higher strikeout rate than Ryan Howard who fanned 199 times.

A player can, of course, compensate for a high strikeout rate by producing in his non-strikeout at bats.

But with that many strikeouts it becomes harder to have good numbers overall. If you make contact less than two thirds of the time there are just fewer opportunities to produce.

Dickerson did produce well in his non-strikeout at bats while with the Reds last year. The question is whether he can sustain that. It's a big challenge for him.

This pattern can be helped if Dickerson is platooned. Presumably his strikeout numbers will be better if he doesn't have to face lefty pitching.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-29-2008 at 02:17 PM.

I voted Fransisco. He has more true power potential than any player in the Minors for the Reds. Yes he does K ALOT and walk very little, but he did improve his K rate a touch this year. In 2008 it was 1K in every 4.2 ab's. In 2007 it was 1k per every 3.3 ab's. I say that's an impressive improvement especially in a pitchers leauge. Also if you dig deeper, he averaged a extra base hit every 10.68 ab in Dayton vs 8.32 ab's in Sarasota a MAJOR jump once again in a pitcher's leauge with large parks. He is progressing. Next year in a hitters leauge he might reduce that power number to the 6.9 to 7.4 range. He will hit 28 to 37 HR next year if he continues these trends while only striking out around 120 times. I say that is a prospect.

For the Record... Howard strikes out every 3.07 ab's and has a EBH every 7.82.

Mark Reynolds split is every 2.64 is a K and every 9.14 a EBH.

Dunn is 3.15 is a K and every 8.21 is a EBH.

Also he has had 4 straight 2 hit games in the Dominican League...
    Last edited by nemesis; 10-29-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I voted Fransisco. He has more true power potential than any player in the Minors for the Reds. Yes he does K ALOT and walk very little, but he did improve his K rate a touch this year. In 2008 it was 1K in every 4.2 ab's. In 2007 it was 1k per every 3.3 ab's. I say that's an impressive improvement especially in a pitchers leauge. Also if you dig deeper, he averaged a extra base hit every 10.68 ab in Dayton vs 8.32 ab's in Sarasota a MAJOR jump once again in a pitcher's leauge with large parks. He is progressing. Next year in a hitters leauge he might reduce that power number to the 6.9 to 7.4 range. He will hit 28 to 37 HR next year if he continues these trends while only striking out around 120 times. I say that is a prospect.

I voted Francisco as well. Your post does a very good job of explaining some of the reasoning. However, I wouldn't agree that he strikes out a lot. For a power hitter, his strikeout rate is not high, as I think your post shows.

When you consider his free swinging tendencies, Francisco seems to make a lot of contact. His BA is always pretty good (.277 last year) and his Ks are down. He also generally has a high RBI number with correlates to his ability to make contact with men on base.

The trick for this prospect is to improve his walk rate even slightly. If he can OBP .320, given the rest of the package, he is a top five prospect in this organization. Even at the current level, I would vote for him in the 5-7 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Dickerson struck out more than one third of his official (non-walk) at bats. That's a very high strikeout rate. It's a higher strikeout rate than Ryan Howard who fanned 199 times.

A player can, of course, compensate for a high strikeout rate by producing in his non-strikeout at bats.

But with that many strikeouts it becomes harder. If you make contact less than two thirds of the time there are just fewer opportunities to produce.

Dickerson did produce well in his non-strikeout at bats while with the Reds last year. The question is whether he can sustain that while striking out so much. It's a big challenge for him.

This pattern can be helped if Dickerson is platooned. Presumably his strikeout numbers will be better if he doesn't have to face lefty pitching.

if i were the Reds brass i would look at Dickerson as a platoon CF or 4th OF.
    to think he'll suddenly hit LHP well is foolish. lets try to put players in positions where they will succeed rather than fail.

Francisco drew two walks in a game last night and is now hitting .304/.347/.543 - .890 OPS in the Dominican Winter League. Those are his first two walks in 46 atbats, so that's nice to see. If he can draw just a few more walks per month and get his total up around 40 he could be a force. His power is legit - he's easily got 35-40 homer power but his plate discipline will the key to him tapping into that power at the major league level. He's got a chance to be the first position player from the Reds Dominican Academy to make an impact at the major league level in what will hopefully be a tradition with Juan Duran and Junior Arias following.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-29-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I voted Francisco as well. Your post does a very good job of explaining some of the reasoning. However, I wouldn't agree that he strikes out a lot. For a power hitter, his strikeout rate is not high, as I think your post shows.

When you consider his free swinging tendencies, Francisco seems to make a lot of contact. His BA is always pretty good (.277 last year) and his Ks are down. He also generally has a high RBI number with correlates to his ability to make contact with men on base.

The trick for this prospect is to improve his walk rate even slightly. If he can OBP .320, given the rest of the package, he is a top five prospect in this organization. Even at the current level, I would vote for him in the 5-7 range.
    Also, he is not just a power hitter. He was second in his league in hits, and in the top ten in almost every category. Also the best defensive third baseman in his league.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    if i were the Reds brass i would look at Dickerson as a platoon CF or 4th OF.
    to think he'll suddenly hit LHP well is foolish. lets try to put players in positions where they will succeed rather than fail.
    So, since so far in his career he has pretty much owned anyone throwing from the right side of his body, and that makes up 2/3 of his PA's you see him as a 4th OF?
    Suck it up cupcake.

I wouldn't have a problem platooning Dickerson in CF as long as a competent RH option can be found to pair up with him.

The three top SP remaining, with their numbers this year in Louisville:

Maloney (age 24): 8.4 K/9, 2.5 BB/9
    Ramirez (age 25): 8.4 K/9, 3.8 BB/9
    Thompson (age 22): 6.5 K/9, 1.7 BB/9 (disclaimer: small sample with only 45 IP)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So, since so far in his career he has pretty much owned anyone throwing from the right side of his body, and that makes up 2/3 of his PA's you see him as a 4th OF?
    what part of 'platoon CF' don't you understand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    what part of 'platoon CF' don't you understand ?
    I understand it just fine. I just don't like pigeon-holing players. Why platoon him and not Phillips? Should everyone that has inferior performance against one hand or the other be platooned?

I'd rather see him get 500+ PA's and let the 4th OF spell someone in need of a day off.

And you said Platoon CF or 4th OF. I see him with a higher ceiling than that.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?