Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Payroll, Priorities, and Planning

Payroll, Priorities, and Planning

I just wanted to take another spin on "You be the GM" exercise.
    I've been reading some RZers prediction on the payroll increase, and it seems possible that we could be looking at a payroll of around $85mil next season.

Filling out the 25-man roster w/ what we currently have looks like this:
    Pitchers
    Harang - 11mil
    Volquez - 0.4mil
    Cueto - 0.4mil
    Arroyo -9.5mil

Ramirez -0.4mil
    Owings -0.4mil
    Masset -0.4mil
    Cordero - 12mil
    Bray - 0.4mil
    Burton - 0.4mil

Infielders
    Gonzalez - 5.375mil
    Phillips - 4.75mil
    Freel - 4mil
    Encarnacion - arb eligible 3mil?
    Keppinger - 0.4mil
    Votto - 0.4mil

Outfielders
    Hopper - 0.4mil
    Bruce - 0.4mil
    Dickerson - 0.4mil

Catchers
    Hanigan - 0.4mil

Manager
    Baker 3.5mil

Considering these players are set in stone (which they may not be). That leaves the following areas of need/spots to fill:
    2 Bullpen Arms
    1 Catcher
    2 Position players

The total 25-man roster salaries (plus Baker) are: 58.325mil. I know that there are some expenses that I'm missing here, but I've read some pretty good posts on here that seem to suggest that after everything - we shoud have around $24mil to spend. So, I'm just going to assume that number.

The question is how best to fill our needs w/in the budge of $24mil.

My pitch would be this
    2 Bullpen Spots:
    Re-sign Affeldt - $4/5 mil (expensive, but I think a reliable lefty is a great assest)
    Roenicke (or similar farm hand) - 0.4mil

Which leaves approx $20mil for 2 position players and catcher spot:
    The needs on the club are obvious: SS, C, CF, LF.
    --I say (at least initially) leave CF to Dickerson & Hopper/Freel. Maybe trade for CF later if we're in the race and Dickerson bombs. It would be nice to make a real upgrade in CF, but perhaps Stubbs moves along, or the FA market is better next year. As is, w/ the budget constraints, I say let Dickerson play and see what happens.
    --Dangle Bailey for the best catching prospect available think Teagarden/Salty - 0.4mil
    --LF trade for Magglio.. just do it.. its not the best but he's a stop-gap because I feel the long-term plans are Votto in LF and Alonso on 1st. We give up slightly better prospects than we should to get the Tigers to eat a huge chunk of the contract. Leaving us on the hook for around - 10mil.
    --SS... this is where I'm torn... I think we sign Furcal... don't know what the going rate for him is, but say we get him for 12mil (perhaps on a back-loaded contract). We could afford to pay him more w/ Magglio off the books and replaced by much cheaper Alonso. If Gonzalez is healthy come spring training then he's trade bait. -12 mil (this year) hopefully w/ Gonzalez's 5 mil off the books.

My totals:
    Payroll of 87.5mil (hopefully subtracting 5 mil of Gonzalez's contract if healthy and traded making it 82.5mil). This is about 2.5mil over the projected budget of $85mil, but I think it puts a winner on the field and B.Cast would sign off for a winner.

Lineup:
    Furcal
    Teagarden/Salty
    Bruce
    Magglio
    Votto
    EdE
    Philllips
    Dickerson

Rotation:
    Harang/Volquez/Cueto/Arroyo/Owings(Ramirez,etc)

Bullpen:
    Cordero/Bray/Burton/Affeldt/Masset/Ramirez(Owings)/Roenicke

Wow!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Payroll, Priorities, and Planning

For whatever reason I don't think that one of Harang or Arroyo will be part of this team next year. I don't have inside scoop or any other knowledge, just a hunch.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Sign Furcal
    Trade for Magglio
    Trade Bailey for Salty/Teagarden
    Sign Affeldt

Hang World Series Banner!

How to afford all that is spelled out in the 1st post...

Thoughts?....

C'mon guys, the offseason already seems long to me...need some Reds chatting fun.

Bailey won't bring back anything of consequence. That ship sank before it got out of the harbor.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bailey won't bring back anything of consequence. That ship sank before it got out of the harbor.
    The people in Texas probably thought that about Volquez.

Bailey's still worth a lot... and if not, then we keep him and let him hit his stride in a Reds uni.

I don't think Bailey is worth a lot on his own. He'd have to be packaged with someone else to bring back any good return.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I disagree.. I don't think the Reds should be interested in Salty because I don't see him as a catcher.. His arm isn't what it was and he may find emergancy starts at catcher but he is probably more suited at 1st base. I think Homer can net you Laird.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Then keep him...he is still a talented, young arm. Sometimes it takes certain pitchers a few beatings in the bigs for it to click.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Then keep him...he is still a talented, young arm. Sometimes it takes certain pitchers a few beatings in the bigs for it to click.
    I agree. He's likely worth more to the Reds by keeping him than anything he'd fetch in return.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't get the Texas catchers stuff. Laird isn't an upgrade over Ryan Hanigan is. Salty is about as much of a catcher as Javy is, albeit with a better bat that we don't need with Votto/Frazier/Alonso already looking to clog up the 1B/LF area in the future. I just don't see either of those guys being any kind of upgrade over what we already have, so why we would give up talent to get them, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't get the Texas catchers stuff. Laird isn't an upgrade over Ryan Hanigan is. Salty is about as much of a catcher as Javy is, albeit with a better bat that we don't need with Votto/Frazier/Alonso already looking to clog up the 1B/LF area in the future. I just don't see either of those guys being any kind of upgrade over what we already have, so why we would give up talent to get them, I don't know.
    I agree completely. Teagarden doesn't represent a big enough upgrade over Hannigan either. Russell Martin on the other hand....

I see no good reason to trade Bailey at this point. I don't think he is worth much at the moment. Let him pitch in the minors next year and hope he learns some things and then make a decision. I don't think his value is going to get any lower.

Given the array and configuration of reds talent, I think you very much listen to offers for Arroyo, Phillips and Encarnacion.

It's not that I don't like Arroyo, but his performance the last few years has been enough that you might get something in return.

Phillips has fine counting numbers and there may still be some GM's that think that matters.

I like Edwin too, but the reds have a list of thirdbase prospects as long as my arm.

Sign Edmonds and Edgar and a couple of other old farts. Invest in a young shortstop, and more young arms with upside. Nab a young catcher if you can.

This team isn't ready to compete yet. Build a pitching staff for 10.

Pass on the big hitting left fielder for this year. They're not to the point where somebody like that is going to push them over the top.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can accept what you are indicating regarding the Texas catchers. But to go on to another question regarding the Reds resources to trade for needs to begin with.

Doug dirt, et al.
    You and others study the Reds minor league players much deeper than I do thus you are more familiar with what the Reds have as replacements in AAA Louisville. Of course you are familiar with the current Reds players also.

When the subject of trading comes up I tend to lean toward thinking this line after line below, am I wrong? I just don’t see the Reds having anything realistically to trade that other teams would be highly motivated to trade for besides their starting pitching, am I wrong?

Questions or thoughts:
    If it is not pitching then who do the Reds have to trade that would genuinely interest other teams looking to improve their teams next year in 2009?

The only ones that I see is some of the Reds major league starting pitching or major league relief pitching that might interest teams to offer a decent return.

Pitching
    Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Micah Owings,

Minor League Pitching
    Ramon Ramirez, Matthew Maloney, Bobby Livingston, Homer Bailey, Daryl Thompson,

The Reds need starting pitching to begin with themselves. If Harang and Arroyo implode again or Cueto is still learning and is inconsistent again next year, I am not even sure that the Reds have starting pitching to trade, do they?

Harang, Owings, and Thompson had arm troubles last season increasing the risk for parties who might have been interested in possible solutions to their staff in 2009.

Homer Bailey though still young was a mess last year. I can’t see him solving any problems for a team in the present that might be interested.

Johnny Cueto still very young, limited experience and inconsistent. Could teams that have interest count on Cueto for much more than a good work in progress next year?

Bobby Livingston injured the year before and still trying to come back with limited value to begin with.

Reds
    Francisco Cordero, Jared Burton, Bill Bray, Nick Masset, Gary Majewski,

AAA Louisville Relief
    Robert Manuel, Carlos Fisher, Josh Roenicke, Daniel Ray Herrera, Justin Lehr,
    The Reds need someone from the list of minor league pitching to help fill out the bullpen and the AAA pitchers have limited trade value or limited ability to help a team looking for pitching in 2009

The major league roster is already short on relief pitchers and short on quality.

Infielders
    Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Alex Gonzalez, Jeff Keppinger, Edwin Encarnacion, Paul Janish, Adam Rosales, Danny Richar

They don’t have any replacements or upgrades for their starting infielders or certain infielders among them won’t bring a return that would solve a problem to begin with. The Reds need some upgrades themselves.

Catcher
    Ryan Hannigan, Wilkin Castillo
    They don’t have any replacements or upgrades here

Outfielders
    Jay Bruce, Chris Dickerson, Ryan Freel, Norris Hopper

The Reds are already short in the outfield, Freel and Hopper were injured last year and have limited trade value to begin with. Dickerson was a small sample that looked good but still is a question mark on hitting.

Any other considerations are just minor league prospects at this point that the Reds have as AA or A ball players. Not something that other teams traditionally give up much for.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I can accept what you are indicating regarding the Texas catchers. But to go on to another question regarding the Reds resources to trade for needs to begin with.

Doug dirt, et al.
    You and others study the Reds minor league players much deeper than I do thus you are more familiar with what the Reds have as replacements in AAA Louisville. Of course you are familiar with the current Reds players also.

When the subject of trading comes up I tend to lean toward thinking this line after line below, am I wrong? I just don’t see the Reds having anything realistically to trade that other teams would be highly motivated to trade for besides their starting pitching, am I wrong?

Questions or thoughts:
    If it is not pitching then who do the Reds have to trade that would genuinely interest other teams looking to improve their teams next year in 2009?

The only ones that I see is some of the Reds major league starting pitching or major league relief pitching that might interest teams to offer a decent return.
    I honestly think we could package some of our prospects together to net a very good return. Todd Frazier, Chris Valaika, Neftali Soto, Juan Francisco, Josh Roenicke, Pedro Viola, Carlos Fisher, Drew Stubbs, Kyle Lotzkar, Danny Dorn, Daryl Thompson, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney..... I think if you took almost any of those three guys and put them together in a package (ie: Frazier, Francisco and Roenicke) that you could get a very solid return back for that. If its for a high salary guy from a team looking to shed some salary, then you can take someone away. I don't think there are any untouchables in our farm system right now. We have a whole lot to offer and we can package some guys together and not lose much depth at all either. Now not all of those guys can help from the start next year, but I think by Midseason Frazier, Valaika, Roenicke, Viola (if sent to the pen, although the Reds are going to look at him as a starter next year), Fisher, Stubbs, Thompson, Bailey, Maloney and Dorn could all be able to play in the majors.

Maybe I am crazy though, but I think we could land a very good player with a pacakge of three of those guys, if not less depending on the player and why the team is trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Given the array and configuration of reds talent, I think you very much listen to offers for Arroyo, Phillips and Encarnacion.

It's not that I don't like Arroyo, but his performance the last few years has been enough that you might get something in return.

Phillips has fine counting numbers and there may still be some GM's that think that matters.

I like Edwin too, but the reds have a list of thirdbase prospects as long as my arm.

Sign Edmonds and Edgar and a couple of other old farts. Invest in a young shortstop, and more young arms with upside. Nab a young catcher if you can.

This team isn't ready to compete yet. Build a pitching staff for 10.

Pass on the big hitting left fielder for this year. They're not to the point where somebody like that is going to push them over the top.
    I'm sorry but is anyone else tired of this attitude...

I know the Reds were pretty bad last year, but there's no reason to believe those issues aren't behind us:

2009 Starting Pitching is Excellent: no reason to believe that Harang won't be healthy,giving us back our ace. Add to that Volquez who was an ace himself last year & Cueto who supposedly "has better stuff" than Volquez and now has a year's experience under his belt. So our pitching staff basically holds what very well could be 3 aces, a very competent Arroyo, and promising candidates at the #5 spot.

2009 Bullpen is Strong: we'll be returning one of the best bullpens in the national league w/ the possible absence of Affeldt, but hopefully he'll be re-signed or a competent replacement found.

Improved Defense: Hanigan handles pitchers excellently and has great defense (major upgrade from Bako), an outfield of Dickerson flanked by Bruce and Magglio (or other) has got to be a lot better defensively than Bruce flanked by Griffey & Dunn. Keppinger replaced by someone like AGon or Furcal will definitely improve the infield defense.

Re-Tooled, More Balanced Offense: Griffey & Dunn were great hitters, but I think their departure actually provides hope for the offense. I had gotten so sick of "waiting for the homerun". I think a more balanced offense is exactly what this offense needs to get it over the slump. Jockety has been quoted as saying that his top priority is a RH-hitting run producer. So, I feel confident we'll see that acquisition this offseason, hopefully its not a Jeff Conine type hitter, but I'm going to use Magglio and you can slide in who ever you feel more comfortable with. I'm also going to add Furcal because it seems from Jocketty's commented that he's not relying on AGon for next year.
    The following offense seems more than formidable:
    Furcal
    Dickerson
    Bruce
    Magglio
    Votto
    EdE
    Phillips
    Hanigan

So... yeah!!! We really are 1 or 2 peices away from being competitive... maybe as simple as the additions of Affeldt, Magglio, and Furcal.
    Last edited by hippie07; 10-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Turn Off Ads?