Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny?

Manny?

On ESPN Buster Olney was just discussing some of the FAs to be and they said that Manny's market wasn't likely to develop like he was hoping (4x25 per).

He said...
    Of course he's not going back to Boston.
    Yankees have LF in Matsui and Damon (I still see them playing a role)
    Dodgers aren't going to give him the massive contract.
    Mets are going after 3 things... Pitching, pitching, and you guessed it more pitching.

If those 4 teams are out of it and you could possibly be in the ballpark consideration at 3x15-20 per would you investigate it if you were Jocketty?

I would. He's from Santo Domingo originally help with the Hispanic fans and maybe help us in scouting/pr department there. Not to mention put fear back in the middle of the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manny?

Eh. If we could bring him in for 13-17 for 2-3 years, why not. We could always use him as trade bait if a younger option came along.

I highly doubt he would want to come to Cincy though.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

If the reds were to sign Manny I wouldn't want them to give him a no-trade clause. Any FA brought in is going to be a short-term fix, be it 1-5 years and we have seen the downside of signing FA's with little trade value (Stanton, Milton, Patterson, Hatteburg). They may fit your budget and make a marginal improvement in the teams overall makeup but they are not legitimate pieces for WS contenders unless there is already a strong majority of young players in place. If the Reds are going to spend the money on Manny, Ordonez, or whoever it may be, than it might be wise to pay more for the guy with the most long-term trade-value. That allows the reds to deal that FA for a good supply of young talent if the team falls out of contention etc. Also they could free up money to sign young guys like Jay Bruce long-term in the event that he starts to look more like those Larry Walker comparisons rather than rookie Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    If the reds were to sign Manny I wouldn't want them to give him a no-trade clause. Any FA brought in is going to be a short-term fix, be it 1-5 years and we have seen the downside of signing FA's with little trade value (Stanton, Milton, Patterson, Hatteburg). They may fit your budget and make a marginal improvement in the teams overall makeup but they are not legitimate pieces for WS contenders unless there is already a strong majority of young players in place. If the Reds are going to spend the money on Manny, Ordonez, or whoever it may be, than it might be wise to pay more for the guy with the most long-term trade-value. That allows the reds to deal that FA for a good supply of young talent if the team falls out of contention etc. Also they could free up money to sign young guys like Jay Bruce long-term in the event that he starts to look more like those Larry Walker comparisons rather than rookie Jay Bruce.
    Agree.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Manny is going to demand a huge contract probably 20 million or more. Yeah, it would be great if someone could sign him in the 15-18 million dollar range, but I doubt that happens. Someone will give him the big paycheck and I don't think it will be the reds

i doubt he'll be a red and that's fine with me. i just have a hunch he'll want too much money. add in how old he is, his (lack of) defense, his baggage, and the chances that he'd be able to reach expectations and i'll pass. '08 was his best year in awhile and people thought he was on the decline. i think it was kinda interesting that his big year was in essentially an option year. my bet is whoever he plays for will not get their money worth.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Yeah, can you see this scenario? They sign him, the team continues to flounder and he requests a trade. Imagine the uproar on this board...
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

Just say no to Obama, I mean Manny.

i would offer manny a 4yr/100mil because like that we dont ruin our farm system, because alot of guys want Holliday or Ordonez but we would have our farm system depleted, i rather pay Manny 25 million than 18 million to ordonez

Dikerson
    Phillips
    Votto
    Manny
    Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Stalmachia (trade bailey for him)
    Gonzalez

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

He'd never play here. Ever. Its just not a fit.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'd overpay for a shorter term contract.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Just say no to Obama, I mean Manny.
    I say no to both of them.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

jarrod saltalamacchia????

He's the type of guy that would place the team on his shoulders taking pressure off the younger players. SIGN HIM!
    Last edited by goreds2; 11-02-2008 at 11:40 PM.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Can the Reds put enough players on base for Manny to be Manny?
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Turn Off Ads?