Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offseason is underway: Marlins send Mike Jacobs to Kansas City

Offseason is underway: Marlins send Mike Jacobs to Kansas City

for Leo Nunez. per rotoworld:

Royals acquired first baseman Mike Jacobs from the Marlins in exchange for RHP Leo Nunez.

Florida was willing to deal Jacobs because he's in for a big raise via arbitration and he'd have been a decent enough pickup for a contending team, but the Royals seemingly would have been better off simply handing first base to Kila Ka'aihue and Ryan Shealy. Jacobs smacked 32 homers this season, but it came with an ugly .299 on-base percentage and he's a 28-year-old with a career .262/.318/.498 hitting line that's mediocre for the position.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offseason is underway: Marlins send Mike Jacobs to Kansas City

This deal doesn't make much sense for the Royals IMO. Nunez isn't great, but the Royals really don't have much need for Jacobs. They already have Billy Butler and Ryan Shealy at the major league level ready to play first base or DH. Plus they have 24-year old Kila Ka'aihue at AAA, where he's coming off a season in which he hit .314/.456/.628 - 1.085 OPS with 37 homers in only 401 atbats. He also walked 104 times and struckout just 67 times. If given the same amount of atbats, I think Ka'aihue would outproduce Jacobs in 2009.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This deal doesn't make much sense for the Royals IMO. Nunez isn't great, but the Royals really don't have much need for Jacobs. They already have Billy Butler and Ryan Shealy at the major league level ready to play first base or DH. Plus they have 24-year old Kila Ka'aihue at AAA, where he's coming off a season in which he hit .314/.456/.628 - 1.085 OPS with 37 homers in only 401 atbats. He also walked 104 times and struckout just 67 times. If given the same amount of atbats, I think Ka'aihue would outproduce Jacobs in 2009.
    Maybe they plan to trade one or two of Butler, Shealy or Ka'aihue?

Spot on. There is just no reason KK shouldn't see at least 300 AB's in the majors next year. I have a feeling someone will be targeting him this offseason as someone to acquire.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I agree. It seems like the Royals are just trying to "win" a trade, even if it doesn't mean improving the team. Then again, I remember having a similar thought when the Reds acquired Brandon Phillips.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Perhaps Butler will play LF/DH for them and they might platoon Shealy and Jacobs at 1st. Kila could also need some work defensively who knows.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Fielding Bible tagged Mike Jacobs as the worst 1st baseman in baseball in 2008 by the way. Maybe he's the new DH for the Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Spot on. There is just no reason KK shouldn't see at least 300 AB's in the majors next year. I have a feeling someone will be targeting him this offseason as someone to acquire.
    After looking at his #'s both in AA & AAA that someone should be us. My goodness this kid is a freaking monster at the plate. Are his #'s too good to be true? In AA he had 80 BB's and 41 K's! In addition to 26 HR's and 11 DBL's in 287 AB's. And then he followed that up with a very similiar stay in AAA. He's Adam Dunn without the K's and at 1st base!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    The Fielding Bible tagged Mike Jacobs as the worst 1st baseman in baseball in 2008 by the way. Maybe he's the new DH for the Royals.
    Yeah good point about his defense, they definitely have been power starved in KC.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    After looking at his #'s both in AA & AAA that someone should be us. My goodness this kid is a freaking monster at the plate. Are his #'s too good to be true? In AA he had 80 BB's and 41 K's! In addition to 26 HR's and 11 DBL's in 287 AB's. And then he followed that up with a very similiar stay in AAA. He's Adam Dunn without the K's and at 1st base!
    He's a lefty but I hear ya. Move Votto to LF and put Kila at 1B.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

When was the last time the Royals did anything that made much sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    When was the last time the Royals did anything that made much sense?
    I don't know but I think George Brett was involved.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He's a lefty but I hear ya. Move Votto to LF and put Kila at 1B.
    I'm hesitant to move Votto to LF. But for a bat like that I would give it a shot to see if the kid is for real or not.

--Woody Hayes

I'm hesitant to move Votto to LF. But for a bat like that I would give it a shot to see if the kid is for real or not.
    Same here. I'd much rather leave Votto at 1B if at all possible.

Yes, I agree. Wow.

Turn Off Ads?