Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

18 15.52%
  • Danny Dorn

15 12.93%
  • Juan Duran

22 18.97%
  • Carlos Fisher

2 1.72%
  • Juan Francisco

21 18.10%
  • Chris Heisey

2 1.72%
  • Matt Maloney

2 1.72%
  • Devin Mesoraco

11 9.48%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.59%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

3 2.59%
  • Josh Roenicke

6 5.17%
  • Zach Stewart

6 5.17%
  • Justin Turner

4 3.45%
  • Pedro Viola

1 0.86%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

How's Wood looking, OBM? What level is he at right now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    How's Wood looking, OBM? What level is he at right now?
    Wood's coming off a rough season. He pitched well in High-A (46.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 21 BB/41 K) and was promoted to Double-A. He had some good games in AA, including one where he carried a perfect game into the 7th inning IIRC and a no-no into the 8th, but overall the bad outweighed the good. He finished with a 7.09 ERA and 48 BB/58 K ratio in 80 innings with AA Chattanooga. He's still only 21 (turns 22 in February) so he's got plenty of time, but 2009 is a big year for him IMO.

I am just glad that there are still so many good players including high ceiling players still on the board at this point. A few years ago it would have been hard to pick #8 for the opposite problem. Hard to choose now due to a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree. I think Lotzkar's the only top-of-rotation arm in the system (Sulbaran too but he's yet to throw a pitch). Guys like Thompson, Smith, Ramirez, and Maloney are solid but I'd like to see some more arms like Lotzkar in the system. At least they seem to be making some progress with the drafting of Sulbaran and Tyler Cline and the signing of Ismael Guillon. Now hopefully we can get some draft picks for Weathers and/or Affeldt and restock with some more live arms in the 2009 draft.
    agreed, i also would like to see them go over-slot in the later rounds. If you are in the top 3rd of the draft order, than you have to try to capitalize on signing talent when presented with it.

I'm going with Dorn again, the guy has just been solid. Im not going to argue with people voting for Francisco either, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that a 17 year old who hasn't played in the states could justify being rated ahead of guys who have already been producing in the system, at least in the top 10 anyways.

the bottom half of BA's 2005 top 10 list
    5. B.J. Szymasnki
    6. Thomas Pauly
    7. Todd Coffey
    8. William Bergolla
    9. Tyler Pelland
    10. Paul Janish

Wood's coming off a rough season. He pitched well in High-A (46.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 21 BB/41 K) and was promoted to Double-A. He had some good games in AA, including one where he carried a perfect game into the 7th inning IIRC and a no-no into the 8th, but overall the bad outweighed the good. He finished with a 7.09 ERA and 48 BB/58 K ratio in 80 innings with AA Chattanooga. He's still only 21 (turns 22 in February) so he's got plenty of time, but 2009 is a big year for him IMO.
    Thx bud.

Do you think his future is in the pen or is he going to stick as a starter?

I guess maybe if he struggles next season trying him out of the pen might be the next step?

Thx bud.

Do you think his future is in the pen or is he going to stick as a starter?

I guess maybe if he struggles next season trying him out of the pen might be the next step?
    Welcome back, btw!

I think they'll stick with him as a starter for at least one more season. The talent is there - He's got a solid fastball for a lefty, and his changeup is one of the best in the minors. I don't think he was quite ready yet for AA as his control was still lacking behind his stuff. If he continues to struggle, moving him to the bullpen could be an option but I look for to stick it out as a starter for now.

Welcome back, btw!

I think they'll stick with him as a starter for at least one more season. The talent is there - He's got a nice fastball for a lefty, and his changeup is one of the best in the minors. I don't think he was quite ready yet for AA as his control was still lacking behind his stuff. If he continues to struggle, moving him to the bullpen could be an option but I look for to stick it out as a starter for now.
    Thanks buddy. Glad to be back.

Great work in the minor league forum, btw. It is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I am just glad that there are still so many good players including high ceiling players still on the board at this point. A few years ago it would have been hard to pick #8 for the opposite problem. Hard to choose now due to a lot of talent.
    it definitely seems like we have alot of offensive depth. just have to work on depth on top of the rotation pitchers and plus defenders.

Thanks buddy. Glad to be back.
    You might be glad to be back. We aren't too happy about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You might be glad to be back. We aren't too happy about it though.

I could use one or 12 of those today.

Juan Duran because of potential and that is what a prospect is potential.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm telling you, the system is all offense with a dash of relievers. I think they need a strong haul of starting pitching in the next couple of drafts/signing periods.
    Yeah, but you have to look at the young players in the organization as a whole....

Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Owings, Thompson, Ramirez, Lotzkar, Maloney, Jukich, Wood

That's a lot of good, young starting pitchers.

Then the relievers...

Burton, Bray, Massett, Roenicke, Herrera, Stewart, Pelland, Fisher, Manuel, Viola....plus any of the starters who might not make it starting, but could be quality relievers.

I think there's a little bias on the boards toward the hitters, too. Robert Manuel is named the best relief pitcher in all of AA, and he doesn't even make the list? I see people calling for Dickerson, and quite frankly, I don't think he's a better prospect than Ramirez. And what about Bailey? Stubbs isn't a better prospect than Bailey, IMO.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-31-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Dickerson till he makes it for me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Dorn vs. Francisco is interesting. It's basically defense vs. OBP. Which do you say is more important? I'll take the OBP, which is why I voted Dorn here.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-31-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?