Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

18 15.52%
  • Danny Dorn

15 12.93%
  • Juan Duran

22 18.97%
  • Carlos Fisher

2 1.72%
  • Juan Francisco

21 18.10%
  • Chris Heisey

2 1.72%
  • Matt Maloney

2 1.72%
  • Devin Mesoraco

11 9.48%
  • Ramon Ramirez

3 2.59%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

3 2.59%
  • Josh Roenicke

6 5.17%
  • Zach Stewart

6 5.17%
  • Justin Turner

4 3.45%
  • Pedro Viola

1 0.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #8 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I think there's a little bias on the boards toward the hitters, too. Robert Manuel is named the best relief pitcher in all of AA, and he doesn't even make the list? I see people calling for Dickerson, and quite frankly, I don't think he's a better prospect than Ramirez. And what about Bailey? Stubbs isn't a better prospect than Bailey, IMO.
    Homer Bailey is no longer considered a prospect after losing his rookie eligibility.

2. Turn Off Ads?

How is dorn getting so much love? I mean, I like his bat, but right now he seems nothing more than a platoon player. If he is indeed limited to that description, then its a sad reflection of our system IMO.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    How is dorn getting so much love? I mean, I like his bat, but right now he seems nothing more than a platoon player. If he is indeed limited to that description, then its a sad reflection of our system IMO.
    Dorn doesn't slug much against lefties, but he still gets on base against them. I rated him in my Top 10 simply because he has enough power to hit 30 HR in the majors even if he is limited to about 450 at bats against mostly RHP while getting on base at a good rate.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Homer Bailey is no longer considered a prospect after losing his rookie eligibility.
    You know what though, technically that's correct but he is still just a prospective major leaguer. And for that reason I think we should consider including him. Even if it's just as an honorable mention to get an idea where he'd would slot in for RZ's if he had his eligibility. In fact I am gonna run a seperate poll to find that out. You don't have to include it with your end results if you don't wanna OBM but it certainly wouldn't hurt with an asterisk.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Don't forget Travis Webb if he can come back from TJ

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wood's coming off a rough season. He pitched well in High-A (46.2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 21 BB/41 K) and was promoted to Double-A. He had some good games in AA, including one where he carried a perfect game into the 7th inning IIRC and a no-no into the 8th, but overall the bad outweighed the good. He finished with a 7.09 ERA and 48 BB/58 K ratio in 80 innings with AA Chattanooga. He's still only 21 (turns 22 in February) so he's got plenty of time, but 2009 is a big year for him IMO.
    This kid has long been my favorite pitcher in the system. He's had an awful go of it both with injuries and ineffectiveness. But like you have stated this next season will be a big deal for him, he must put it together or will likely fall far off the radar. Eventually though I see him as a relief pitcher.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

John Manuel on Yonder Alonso:

Q: Daniel from NYC asks: from NYC asks:
    With the plate discipline that Yonder Alonso has shown will he be the best overall hitter ( Power/ average) to emerge from this draft class?

A: John Manuel: He could be; I don' think he has the combination of hitting for average and power that Alvarez, Smoak and, say, Eric Hosmer have, but he walked twice as much as he struck out at Miami the last 2 years, and still managed to hit 20-plus bombs this season. He's short to the ball, keeps the bat through the zone a long time and has a nice, high finish. He's going to hit, I think the Q is how many home runs. .300-.400.-.550 seems like it's possible for him to achieve fairly consistently.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...08103101&rnd=7

That would make Alonso a perennial MVP candidate and top 10-12 hitter in baseball.

Great Googly Moogly!! .300/.400/.550 from Alonso? Give me some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Dorn vs. Francisco is interesting. It's basically defense vs. OBP. Which do you say is more important? I'll take the OBP, which is why I voted Dorn here.
    Dickerson gives you both. just sayin'
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dorn doesn't slug much against lefties, but he still gets on base against them. I rated him in my Top 10 simply because he has enough power to hit 30 HR in the majors even if he is limited to about 450 at bats against mostly RHP while getting on base at a good rate.
    Ah, you make some excellent points. I'd add, Dorn is much closer to MLB ready, than so many others that are at least 2 years away, some probably even longer. How many guys hit the wall at, or soon after AA?

[QUOTE=JayBruceFan;1757100]Don't forget Travis Webb if he can come back from TJ[/QUOTE

As long as we are mentioning those left out, how about Jeremy Horst? Tall, LHP who thrived as a starter. 6.5 H/9; 9.7 K/9; .202 Avg against; ground ball tendencies.

Webb or Horst haven't been left out, they just haven't been added yet. I don't see the point in adding Webb yet. He didn't even make our top 40 last year and he missed all of 2008 due to Tommy John surgery. I'm sure he rehabbed very nicely, but it wasn't enough to push him into our top 10, or even 20.

I'll add Horst to the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Great Googly Moogly!! .300/.400/.550 from Alonso? Give me some of that.
    http://video.aol.com/video-detail/go...ogly/863113328
    Last edited by WMR; 10-31-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Yeah my post about Webb was in response to a post on the first page

I just didn't quote it for some reason

It look's random without context

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Dickerson gives you both. just sayin'
    ...toss in some speed on the basepaths.

I like Dickerson, but he's really only got one good half-season under his belt and he'll be 27. The age is what really gets me. He's already in his prime. To me, that means his numbers aren't a product of him becoming a better prospect, just that he's gotten older. Imagine the numbers that Dorn would put up if he was still in AAA three years from now? He might have a 1.100 OPS.

Turn Off Ads?