Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things learned this evening...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Things learned this evening...

...from someone, who not only played the game, but worked in the Reds farm system, and currently works as a scout in another one.. -----------OPS is the most important stat in today's game. ---------- Cueto has better stuff than Volquez, but due to body size, and mechanics, will probably end up having most of his success in the bullpen ------------ Volquez's changeup is as good as it gets, but his arm movement has a tendancy to 'tip' that it's coming.....if you can actually hit it. Expect numbers not quite as spectacular next season, but still very solid...and should be so throughout his career. ----------- Adam Dunn, several years ago, was given the suggestion (by this person), to work on being a firstbase man. LEARN the position... He has the athletic ability to be good, and that would make him very valuable in the open market. The offensive numbers, and the ability to be used in multiple situations, and multiple positions if needed (double switches perhaps?).....Plenty of teams would pay huge money for that....instead, he wasn't interested in it...---------end of report
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-31-2008 at 12:44 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things learned this evening...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    ...from someone, who not only played the game, but worked in the Reds farm system, and currently works as a scout in another one.. - OPS is the most important stat in today's game. - Cueto has better stuff than Volquez, but due to body size, and mechanics, will probably end up having most of his success in the bullpen - Volquez's changeup is as good as it gets, but his arm movement has a tendancy to 'tip' that it's coming.....if you can actually hit it. Expect numbers not quite as spectacular next season, but still very solid...and should be so throughout his career. - Adam Dunn, several years ago, was given the suggestion (by this person), to work on being a firstbase man. LEARN the position... He has the athletic ability to be good, and that would make him very valuable in the open market. The offensive numbers, and the ability to be used in multiple situations, and multiple positions if needed (double switches perhaps?).....Plenty of teams would pay huge money for that....instead, he wasn't interested in it...
    Thanks for the info Matt.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Cueto has better stuff than Volquez, but due to body size, and mechanics, will probably end up having most of his success in the bullpen
    I'm no mechanic expert, but Cueto's mechanics look smooth and clean to me. And yeah, Cueto may be short, but he's also got a thick body which makes up for his short stature.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-31-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Like OBM, I see nothing wrong with Cueto's mechanics. What I do see wrong is his temperament. He gets mad, tries too hard and leaves pitches up in the zone which lead to you know what.

I'll chalk it up to youth and inexperience for now, but if that does not change, maybe the scout is correct even with his mis-diagnosis of the mechanics.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

...from someone, who not only played the game, but worked in the Reds farm system, and currently works as a scout in another one.. -----------OPS is the most important stat in today's game. ---------- Cueto has better stuff than Volquez, but due to body size, and mechanics, will probably end up having most of his success in the bullpen ------------ Volquez's changeup is as good as it gets, but his arm movement has a tendancy to 'tip' that it's coming.....if you can actually hit it. Expect numbers not quite as spectacular next season, but still very solid...and should be so throughout his career. ----------- Adam Dunn, several years ago, was given the suggestion (by this person), to work on being a firstbase man. LEARN the position... He has the athletic ability to be good, and that would make him very valuable in the open market. The offensive numbers, and the ability to be used in multiple situations, and multiple positions if needed (double switches perhaps?).....Plenty of teams would pay huge money for that....instead, he wasn't interested in it...---------end of report
    Tell Johnny Almaraz I said "Hi".
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I would if I knew him
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 10-31-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Like OBM, I see nothing wrong with Cueto's mechanics. What I do see wrong is his temperament. He gets mad, tries too hard and leaves pitches up in the zone which lead to you know what.

I'll chalk it up to youth and inexperience for now, but if that does not change, maybe the scout is correct even with his mis-diagnosis of the mechanics.
    I remember reading the same thing about Volquez, re: having a temper on the mound but he seemed to tone that down this season. He even admitted so. I think that's something that comes with experience (except for Zambano, who has toned it down a bit but not a lot). But I like my pitchers to have some fire in them. You can tell Cueto and Volquez have no fear as evidenced by them both being tied for the most HBP.

btw nice avatar. How you think WVU will do this season? The "experts" always seem to pick them towards the bottom of the Big East and they always prove them wrong.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 10-31-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I remember reading the same thing about Volquez, i.e., mad on the mound but he seemed to tone that down this season. He even admitted so. I think that's something that comes with experience (except for Zambano, who has toned it down a bit but not a lot). But I like my pitchers to have some fire in them. You can tell Cueto and Volquez have no fear as evidenced by them both being tied for the most HBP.

btw nice avatar. How you think WVU will do this season? The "experts" always seem to pick them towards the bottom of the Big East and they always prove them wrong.
    I hope you're right about Cueto, and I agree. This was his rookie season--a little early to be critical. Lots of potential.

This Mountaineer team, nearly intact from the Sweet 16 team of last year and a few blue chippers added in, will be the sleeper again. Remember, the Big east is New York biased. The sportswriters who vote in that poll outnumber the other writers 10-1. They still think if you weren't playing in the NYC metro area, you just can't compete. Look for a 20+ win season and another run in the NCAA's. I despise the Big East for that reason. They'll never get the respect they deserve in that conference, but Huggins is a magician and they will do fine.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I hope you're right about Cueto, and I agree. This was his rookie season--a little early to be critical. Lots of potential.
    somewhere, those observations are recorded in the Reds files about 3 years ago.....I agree with you though...He's young, learning, and has plenty of time to prove his craft.
    This Mountaineer team, nearly intact from the Sweet 16 team of last year and a few blue chippers added in, will be the sleeper again. Remember, the Big east is New York biased. The sportswriters who vote in that poll outnumber the other writers 10-1. They still think if you weren't playing in the NYC metro area, you just can't compete. Look for a 20+ win season and another run in the NCAA's. I despise the Big East for that reason. They'll never get the respect they deserve in that conference, but Huggins is a magician and they will do fine.
    UC vs WVU...at the shoe....CAN'T WAIT!

somewhere, those observations are recorded in the Reds files about 3 years ago.....I agree with you though...He's young, learning, and has plenty of time to prove his craft.

UC vs WVU...at the shoe....CAN'T WAIT!
    Got tickets? It's not too far to Cincy to see Huggs' return!
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Got tickets? It's not too far to Cincy to see Huggs' return!
    No, not yet....but I can probably pull a string or a curtain, and get REALLY good seats

Here is what i noticed about Cueto and that's from watching him pitch in a game in person. when he is fluid to the plate he is dominating!!!.. when he starts to fall off the mound towards the 1st base side of the mound on his follow-thru he ends up leaving a breaking pitch up in the zone to be hit.. and thats the only thing i see wrong with his delivery at times.. the one game i saw he struck out 4 of 6 in the first two innings and didnt allow a hit.. then he started rushing and falling towards the 1st base side like i mentioned and he got hit and his pitch count was up and ended up giving up 5 runs but the reds won because the reds came back in the bottom of the 5th after he was pinch hit for.. (just my observations) Ask the scout that Matt and see is he agrees when watching videos of Cueto!

Most Scouts said Pedro Martinez and Roy Oswalt were too short.

IIRC Adam Dunn turned down the chance to play for the USA in the World Baseball Classic in order to report early to ST to work out as a first baseman.
    Adam never really got the chance.

Scott Hatteberg was signed early that spring, Willy Mo was traded to Boston and Dunn returned to Left Field.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Here is what i noticed about Cueto and that's from watching him pitch in a game in person. when he is fluid to the plate he is dominating!!!.. when he starts to fall off the mound towards the 1st base side of the mound on his follow-thru he ends up leaving a breaking pitch up in the zone to be hit.. and thats the only thing i see wrong with his delivery at times.. the one game i saw he struck out 4 of 6 in the first two innings and didnt allow a hit.. then he started rushing and falling towards the 1st base side like i mentioned and he got hit and his pitch count was up and ended up giving up 5 runs but the reds won because the reds came back in the bottom of the 5th after he was pinch hit for.. (just my observations) Ask the scout that Matt and see is he agrees when watching videos of Cueto!
    thats what I thought watching every game Cueto pitched last year and he seemed to pitch fluid whenever Mario was in town, Volquez IMO whenever he got into it with the umps would tend to get his pitches up and would walk guys and get hammered.

Say hi to Tim Naehring for me.

Turn Off Ads?