Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner now available

Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner now available

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Quote:
    Cordero's Nats tenure likely over

Wagner, Orr also outrighted, decline Minors assignments

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com
    WASHINGTON -- The Nationals announced on Thursday that the club has outrighted right-handers Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner and infielder Pete Orr to Triple-A Syracuse. All three declined the assignment to Syracuse and elected to become free agents, according to a Major League source. Washington made the moves to make room for some of its Minor Leaguers on the 40-man roster, thus protecting them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Cordero, 26, is considered one of the best closers in Nationals/Expos history, saving 128 games and compiling a 2.78 ERA during his career. His best season was in 2005, when he saved 47 games to go with a 1.82 ERA.

Cordero missed most of the 2008 season because of a labrum tear in his right shoulder. He had surgery on July 8 and is expected to be ready for Spring Training. The right-hander visited Dr. Lewis Yocum for a checkup on Thursday and is expected to start throwing in two weeks. In between, Cordero is expected to get married on Nov. 8 and go on his honeymoon. He will also be a father in May.

"[Dr. Yocum] talked to my agent today and said that everything was looking good," Cordero said. "He told him that my shoulder strength is excellent and my arm is healing very well. Everything is going good."

Although he didn't play most of the year, Cordero found his name in the news last July, when general manager Jim Bowden told Sports Talk 980 AM in Washington that Cordero would be non-tendered. Cordero made $6 million this past season. Sources indicated that Cordero would not come back to the Nationals if Bowden was still the general manager. Bowden later apologized to Cordero and his agent, Larry Reynolds.

But Cordero is now open to coming back to the Nationals for the 2009 season. He acknowledged that it was an emotional time for him last July.

"Yeah, I'm open to coming back. I'm not going to close the door on anybody," Cordero said. "Obviously, I had a great time in D.C. and with the organization. This year was a tough time for me. I'm going to keep my options open. If it works out, I'll come back, and that would be awesome."

Wagner, who was part of the eight-player trade that sent left-hander Bill Bray to the Reds in 2006, didn't play a game in the Major Leagues this past season in part because of right shoulder problems. However, he played for Triple-A Columbus and went 0-3 with a 5.68 ERA in 16 games.

Wagner, 26, said he was surprised about being outrighted to Syracuse, but that he is looking to move on.

"I'm as healthy as I've been since 2004," he said. "I threw the ball well at the end of the year. I'm anxious to see where I end up."

Orr, 29, spent time with Triple-A Columbus and the Nationals. In 49 games for Washington, Orr hit .253 with seven RBIs. Orr said he was not surprised by the moves because the team wants to add Minor Leaguers to the roster.

"They have interest in me coming back and I have interest in coming back," Orr said. "I would not say it's the end in Washington. I would say it's more of a numbers move, I guess."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner now available

it comes down to money (like it does most of the time). with how much our closer will be paid we can't affod to reserve too much more money just for the bullpen. but if he's healthy i'd definitely be interested in cordero.

I'd be interested in Cordero as well. But I wouldn't expect anything out of him until 2010. He had shoulder and biceps surgry in July.

that article basically said he'd be ready in march. maybe they're just optimistic. but if he could be healthy for even the last 3+ months i'd be ok w/that.

Well, IMO Chad Cordero won't want too much money with his last season so the Reds could deal Francisco Cordero to Detroit For Maggs and then sign chad cordero and probably have enough money to sign Furcal as well. Chad Cordero has posted an ok xFIP of around 4.5 over the last several years, but he does give up a lot of flyball outs and an above average amount of homers. I feel that he would cost the reds a game or two over Francisco Cordero, but the reds would be able to make their defense much better with Furcal and the offense would also be much improved so I feel that the costs would outwiegh the benefits if the reds only had to give up Francisco Cordero to get Maggs, Furcal, and Chad Cordero.
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/st...stName=Cordero

so add chad cordero, deal francisco cordero for ordonez and than add furcal? i'd do that. if only it would be that simple. everytime i hear/read that detroit wants to deal ordonez it's cuz of money. and they do need a closer. but i don't see them dealing ordonez cuz of his salary and adding francisco cordero who has 3 years and $37 million left on his contract.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 10-31-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Cordero...Yes
    Wagner....No
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

I personally want Wagner back

He was straight filthy in college

He could be dominant if he can regain that form and stay healthy

Id rather buy a bunch of steaks with the money

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    I personally want Wagner back

He was straight filthy in college

He could be dominant if he can regain that form and stay healthy
    That's a big if and probably a big financial risk. I think the reds would be better off without pursuing wagner.

Quote Originally Posted by Emin3mShady07 View Post
    That's a big if and probably a big financial risk. I think the reds would be better off without pursuing wagner.
    it's a big financial risk if you overpay. if you just offer a low base salary on a minor league contract with an invite to spring training there's not much to worry about.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Cordero, at 26 with the history he's had there; they are basically saying that they believe he's done.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I go to games with a guy who pitched in the Minors for 3 years, and is an incredible fountain of knowledge especially watching young up-coming players. When Wagner was making his big splash my buddy says to me, "I don't like the way he throws. He's either going to have physical problems or won't pan out". What? I says. My friend says, "yeah watch how he hops right before his release. He throws with his arm only." I think my friend has been proven right. Again......

the question is can his problems be ironed out. either way i wouldn't invest alot as far as a contract. he's one of those players i'd consider giving a spring training invite just to take a look at him. if the reds decide it won't work than he's released in feb/march and you don't lose anything.

Sign Ryan Wagner and Mark Prior and have them work out their funky mechanics together

Turn Off Ads?