Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where does Homer rank, if he could still be ranked?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll

8 11.11%

14 19.44%

8 11.11%

16 22.22%

6 8.33%

1 1.39%

4 5.56%

2 2.78%

0 0%

1 1.39%
  • 11-15

3 4.17%
  • 15-20

4 5.56%
  • 20-30

0 0%
  • 30+

1 1.39%
  • I no longer see him as a prospect so I refuse to vote.

4 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bailey is what # prospect 4 U?

Bailey is what # prospect 4 U?

Assuming Homer was still eligible for R.O.Y considerations where would you vote for him to be in the rankings? A poll is included.

I ask this question mostly just to get an idea of how RZ still values him, despite the struggles he's had.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Bailey is what # prospect 4 U?

Easily in the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Easily in the top 3.
    What do you see Bailey doing next season?

What does he need to improve upon the most?

What are his greatest strengths right now?

I would put him around Daryl Thompson, wherever that is.

Bailey smells like number two

I teetered for awhile between 4-5 with some consideration at 6 & 7. But ultimately I still think he is ahead of Stubbs, Valaika & even Lotzkar right now. But Soto, Frazier & Alonso I feel are top 3 hands down currently.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bailey

Pros - Higher upside than any pitcher in the system. 93-96 MPH fastball, 2 seamer 88-92 MPH. Good pitchers body. No arm injuries. Curve, change and slider are all good at times.

Cons - Lackluster performance lately. Needs to hone in control more. Offspeed pitches are still inconsistent.

I feel I could make an argument to rank him #1 and feel justified having him there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Bailey

Pros - Higher upside than any pitcher in the system. 93-96 MPH fastball, 2 seamer 88-92 MPH. Good pitchers body. No arm injuries. Curve, change and slider are all good at times.

Cons - Lackluster performance lately. Needs to hone in control more. Offspeed pitches are still inconsistent.

I feel I could make an argument to rank him #1 and feel justified having him there.
    Certainly I could agree with that. I just think to myself that he just seems to be a guy who will have less impact than originally thought, at least that's where the odds are IMO. Or in other words I sorta see him as a realistic #3 at this point with a shot to still be TOR. There's just something Kyle Lohse-ian to him right now.

--Woody Hayes

I still see AJ Burnett as a really good comp for Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Certainly I could agree with that. I just think to myself that he just seems to be a guy who will have less impact than originally thought, at least that's where the odds are IMO. Or in other words I sorta see him as a realistic #3 at this point with a shot to still be TOR. There's just something Kyle Lohse-ian to him right now.
    I like the Kyle Lohse comparison to some degree. Bailey is still very very young. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because of his age. He has the stuff he just needs to put it together. Its not the lack of ability I think right now it is more of a mental/lack of confidence problem. He just seems to be knocked off his game when something doesn't go his way. IMO if he were to have some success and be able to build off that he will become a very good pitcher.

I put him at 3.....

Doug, maybe you could verify this for me. I've been under the assumption for the past season that a lot of Bailey's issues have been the result of having his pitching motion tweaked to help hold runners.... Seems that upon that change, his veclocity dipped (along with injuries playing a small part). Any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    I put him at 3.....

Doug, maybe you could verify this for me. I've been under the assumption for the past season that a lot of Bailey's issues have been the result of having his pitching motion tweaked to help hold runners.... Seems that upon that change, his veclocity dipped (along with injuries playing a small part). Any truth to this?
    The Reds have changed his mechanics, but the drop in velocity was nothing more than the Reds not allowing him to throw his 4 seam fastball lately and the hamstring injury.

#3 behind Alonso and Frazier.

he still is quite young and has TOR potential.

pitchers often mature later that hitters. Orel Hershiser was a 26 year old rookie who was awesome until he tore his rotator cuff. How old was Randy Johnson before he put it together?

I think the Reds need to pitch Homer in AAA for at least 3 months, likely all year unless he is just lights out.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Unfortunately, Bailey's merry-go-round trips between Louisville and Cincinnati took him off the prospect radar for me.

I still hope he turns out to be something serviceable, but at this stage of the game he might have a better career following Kerry Wood's current role: closer.

Every prospect has a "ceiling" and a "floor". Doug says Bailey's comp is AJ Burnett. I see it as Burnett is his ceiling.

And that's a damn fine ceiling. The thing is, Bailey seems, at this point in his career, to be a bit brittle. That reinforces doug's comparison to Burnett. Dynamite stuff, but he can't use it if he can't stay on the mound. Because he's been injured two straight years, I have him at #7 if he were eligible. He has tremendous value to the Reds, but as what, is the question.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?