Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Where does Homer rank, if he could still be ranked?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll

8 11.11%

14 19.44%

8 11.11%

16 22.22%

6 8.33%

1 1.39%

4 5.56%

2 2.78%

0 0%

1 1.39%
  • 11-15

3 4.17%
  • 15-20

4 5.56%
  • 20-30

0 0%
  • 30+

1 1.39%
  • I no longer see him as a prospect so I refuse to vote.

4 5.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bailey is what # prospect 4 U?

Re: Bailey is what # prospect 4 U?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Of all the players in the Reds minor league system, ask yourself a question. Who are the players with the talent and potential to develop one day into a perennial MVP or CY Young candidate? I don't know about Juan Duran yet, Neftali Soto would be a guy I'd consider, probably no for Stubbs, Frazier, Francisco and even Alonso. The only guy that I could see answering yes on is Homer Bailey. IMO he is still the Reds number one player in the minor league system and could eventually make that kind of impact. He's not eligible for the lists because of the rules, but he's still a 22 year old kid who needs to put it together and if he does he'll be a dominating type. He is on par with Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Volquez as far as potential goes and while I think the system is fairly deep in players with enough talent to contribute (and in some cases thrive) at the major league level. No one eligible for these lists has that type of potential.

Add that as a young high ceiling starter, Bailey could still probably be a centerpiece in a trade for a significant player at another position and probably has more trade value than the others.

He's number 1 IMO, but he's not ready yet, and the Reds should avoid any thoughts of him on the major league roster in 2009.
    I think if we are being fair here you could make an argument for Alonso and Lotzkar to be perennial types also. I agree that Stubbs, Frazier & Francisco are less likely but if they fulfill their potential they certainly could be.

However with regards to Bailey, what do you say to people whom have questioned how good his stuff is? A 4S fastball with little to no movement does not bode well for a perennial Cy Young candidate. The rest of his stuff would have to be filthy to make that 4S less an issue and no one seems overhwelmed by any of those pitches either.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Agree with mth123 as usual. Cueto, Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Homer. 3 of the 5 from O'Brien in a mere two years. Any doubt about who ought still to be the GM?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree with mth123 as usual. Cueto, Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Homer. 3 of the 5 from O'Brien in a mere two years. Any doubt about who ought still to be the GM?
    GM? Let's not forget that he only hired the guy who made the picks of Bruce & Bailey. Cueto was Almarez's baby I believe, Volquez & Krivsky, Bowden's Sr. Director of Scouting & Votto.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?