Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn was just a rental

Dunn was just a rental

this from The Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...pt-dbacks.html

Two of the Diamondbacks' highest-profile free agents, second baseman Orlando Hudson and slugger Adam Dunn, have not yet filed, but the club doesn't seem to be holding out much hope of retaining either.

Dunn, acquired in an Aug. 11 deal with Cincinnati, was never expected to be more than a rental.

"Adam will have a healthy market," said Moorad, who also represented Dunn. "We were pleased to have him for the last month and a half. I don't believe he fits for us going forward."

I wouldnt mind grabbing Hudson and moving Phillips to SS, that defense would work for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn was just a rental

"Adam will have a healthy market," said Moorad, who also represented Dunn. "We were pleased to have him for the last month and a half. I don't believe he fits for us going forward."

This quote doesn't make sense... Moorad 'represents' Dunn but then he speaks from the point of view of Dbacks management? That's gotta be two different people making those quotes, or something... something is off.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-01-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

This quote doesn't make sense... Moorad 'represents' Dunn but then he speaks from the point of view of Dbacks management? That's gotta be two different people making those quotes, or something... something is off.
    Jeff Moorad used to be an agent, but he's D-Backs management now.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

aaah, okay, thanks blum. The author would have been better served typing 'who has also represented.' He's implying a pretty big conflict of interest there.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

But what about all the hype during September whan Dunn was leading the Diamondbacks into the playoffs and was going to sign for peanuts?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    But what about all the hype during September whan Dunn was leading the Diamondbacks into the playoffs and was going to sign for peanuts?
    Any chance Dunn will have to take a pay cut to sign this next season?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Any chance Dunn will have to take a pay cut to sign this next season?
    Depends on where he's willing to go.

Some team will give him the money, question of if its a team he wants play for or not.

If he's only willing to play for Houston, or the Angels, he might find a tough market. If he's willing to play for the Cubs or Red Sox, he might get some moola.

I think the markets gonna be tight for him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Not like the Bax gave up anything important (to them) for him.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I think the markets gonna be tight for him.
    A lot of people on RZ have gone on record saying how the Reds didn't appreciate Dunn's unique skillset, and and how he was mismanaged and misused. (And maybe he was--I would have prefered to have seen him hit higher in the order.)

But this offseason, we are going to find out just what the rest of MLB thinks of Adam Dunn. And if they line up with the Reds' opinion, maybe some of us on RZ might want to reevaluate our way of thinking.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    A lot of people on RZ have gone on record saying how the Reds didn't appreciate Dunn's unique skillset, and and how he was mismanaged and misused. (And maybe he was--I would have prefered to have seen him hit higher in the order.)

But this offseason, we are going to find out just what the rest of MLB thinks of Adam Dunn. And if they line up with the Reds' opinion, maybe some of us on RZ might want to reevaluate our way of thinking.
    I don't know about that. Just because a lot of people are wrong about something doesn't make them any less wrong...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't know about that. Just because a lot of people are wrong about something doesn't make them any less wrong...
    I think that could apply to both sides of the equation.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

It will definitely prove interesting to see where Dunn plays in 2009.

.... and how much money he's paid to do so....

.... and if he's a LF, a 1B, or a DH....

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    We already know what J.P. Ricciardi in Toronto thinks of Dunn. Most of us dismissed him as a crackpot. But down deep, I think he probably vocalized the prevailing opinion in MLB--he was just the guy who was dumb enough to say it out loud.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I think he'll retire and hit the B.A.S.S Tour.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    We already know what J.P. Ricciardi in Toronto thinks of Dunn. Most of us dismissed him as a crackpot. But down deep, I think he probably vocalized the prevailing opinion in MLB--he was just the guy who was dumb enough to say it out loud.
    I agree. I think most people around baseball undervalue Dunn's skill set. It will be interesting to see what Dunn gets compared to the other players around the league -- and how that works out in terms of production for the dollar.

When Gary Matthew's Jr gets $10M per, Dunn getting in the $12-14M range would be quite the discount. I think Dunn ends up someplace rather unexpected, like Baltimore, Kansas City, or San Fransisco.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?