Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to the Kentucky Wildcats Football Team

Congratulations to the Kentucky Wildcats Football Team

Kentucky became bowl-eligible today after their win at Mississippi State.

In a year where Kentucky is clearly rebuilding after losing 98% of their offense to the NFL/graduation, I said going in that going to a bowl this season would make Kentucky's season a "success."

This will be Kentucky's 3rd consecutive bowl appearance... something that they have not done in a LONG time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congratulations to the Kentucky Wildcats Football Team

That was an ugly game. A win is a win, but man is this team tough to watch. I'm surprised Mike Hartline even got to play after his comments he made to the media about getting benched.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Totally agree on both points: this team is tough to watch and I was also VERY surprised to see Hartline get into the game.

I figured it would take an injury to Cobb b/f he would get anywhere close to sniffing the field after his idiotic comments to the press this week throwing his teammates under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

This will be Kentucky's 3rd consecutive bowl appearance... something that they have not done in a LONG time.

:notworthy

Kentucky 2-3 6-3

Code:
    DATE      OPPONENT                  W-L (CONF) RESULT 
    8/31      @ Louisville              1-0 (0-0)  W 27-2 
    9/06      Norfolk State             2-0 (0-0)  W 38-3 
    9/13      Middle Tennessee State    3-0 (0-0)  W 20-14 
    9/27      Western Kentucky          4-0 (0-0)  W 41-3 
    10/04     @ No. 2 Alabama           4-1 (0-1)  L 17-14 
    10/11     South Carolina            4-2 (0-2)  L 24-17 
    10/18     Arkansas                  5-2 (1-2)  W 21-20 
    10/25     @ No. 10 Florida          5-3 (1-3)  L 63-5 
    11/01     @ Mississippi State       6-3 (2-3)  W 14-13
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-01-2008 at 08:08 PM.

part of BBN

In a year where Kentucky is clearly rebuilding after losing 98% of their offense to the NFL/graduation, I said going in that going to a bowl this season would make Kentucky's season a "success."
    I agree totally with you WMR.
    One extra thought on that: If this team wins just one of last 3 games, they will finish with same number of regular season victories (7) as last year.
    So yes..very good for UK in offensive rebuilding year with help on the way at QB.

Side note: yesterday I couldnt help but think that Hartline to Brook's is Uk's version of Patterson to Baker !
    Last edited by jmac; 11-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.

My bold prediction: Cobb goes into Knoxville and shows UT and Fat Phil just how bad they screwed up by not seriously recruiting him.

3 Time CY Young winner

As much as I hope it will happen, the bowl game is not a given just yet. UK is only bowl eligible. If we lose our last three in a row, I don't think we will be going bowling. I hope I am wrong though. One more win will lock it up Imo.

You'd never believe that UK could win 8 games without beating a single good team, but they've got a shot at doing that this year. Sure as hell beats losing to bad teams, which Kentucky did a lot of in the past, so congrats to them.

UK has only gone bowling three years in a row once before. 1949,50 and 51 when Bear Bryant was on the sidelines. The SEC has nine bowl tie-ins this year so its all but a done deal they will be somewhere in late December. It may be in the Papa Johns Bowl or in Shreveport,La but it will be a bowl and that's better than not going anywhere and a step forward for the program.
    I was very suprised to Hartline play too. I really didn't think he would see the field agian this season after his comments. I know I don't think I would have played him anymore this season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post

:notworthy

Kentucky 2-3 6-3

Code:
    DATE      OPPONENT                  W-L (CONF) RESULT 
    8/31      @ Louisville              1-0 (0-0)  W 27-2 
    9/06      Norfolk State             2-0 (0-0)  W 38-3 
    9/13      Middle Tennessee State    3-0 (0-0)  W 20-14 
    9/27      Western Kentucky          4-0 (0-0)  W 41-3 
    10/04     @ No. 2 Alabama           4-1 (0-1)  L 17-14 
    10/11     South Carolina            4-2 (0-2)  L 24-17 
    10/18     Arkansas                  5-2 (1-2)  W 21-20 
    10/25     @ No. 10 Florida          5-3 (1-3)  L 63-5 
    11/01     @ Mississippi State       6-3 (2-3)  W 14-13
    With a schedule like that all UK has to do is "luck" into 2 wins in the SEC and they're bowl eligible. Louisville was horrible in August. They're probably better now but they didn't know what to do with their new coach as of 8-31. And luck into wins is exactly what UK did with Ark and MSU. A 6-6 record gets a coach fired in Knoxville. In Kentucky they get a thread dedicated to praising them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    With a schedule like that all UK has to do is "luck" into 2 wins in the SEC and they're bowl eligible. Louisville was horrible in August. They're probably better now but they didn't know what to do with their new coach as of 8-31. And luck into wins is exactly what UK did with Ark and MSU. A 6-6 record gets a coach fired in Knoxville. In Kentucky they get a thread dedicated to praising them.
    This isn't your first year following the SEC, right?

I can't see why else a UT fan would come into a Kentucky football thread and make such a silly post.

When in a down-year for KENTUCKY football the team will STILL go to a bowl, as well as being the FIRST time they have gone bowling three years in a row since 1950, YES, that is worthy of praise.

KENTUCKY. FOOTBALL. (Yes, KENTUCKY)

And blaming Kentucky for Louisville sucking in August is simply poor trolling technique. "Lucking into SEC wins" LOL
    Last edited by WMR; 11-05-2008 at 09:03 PM.

part of BBN

I can't see why else a UT fan would come into a Kentucky football thread and make such a silly post.

When in a down-year for KENTUCKY football the team will STILL go to a bowl, as well as being the FIRST time they have gone bowling three years in a row since 1950, YES, that is worthy of praise.

And blaming Kentucky for Louisville sucking in August is simply poor trolling technique. "Lucking into SEC wins" LOL
    Louisville just lost to Syracuse.
    They have not improved much if any. Maybe and this is a guess, but give our defense alittle credit too.
    Yeah we got torched by Fla who also scored 50+ against LSU and 49 against Georgia and is a team you wouldnt want to play right now.
    KY didnt look impressive in wins against Miss State/Arkansas(which beat Tulsa last week) but we played the #1 team (now) to a 3 point game on their field and we didnt get drubbed against USC ( 7 point game we "could've" won with a play here or there).

We have not had much QB play at all and lost our top RB and top WR for season several games ago. Micah Johnson, Myron Pryor, Ricky Lumpkin to name a few have missed time from our defensive side.
    So yes....good job Rich.
    Point is as WMR basically said...this is KY Football and in a down year which we are ...we still have 6 wins and could get a couple more. I doubt we beat Georgia but Vandy and UT are winnable.
    Our program is heading in right direction because rebuilding doesnt mean we are 3-8 or 4-7.
    Last edited by jmac; 11-05-2008 at 10:20 PM.

With the exception of Florida and Alabama the SEC has been a disappointment this season. Georgia has been the most over rated team this season and LSU has been struggling with a new QB. The rest of the SEC has been pretty average. I think Florida is the best team in the country but I can't get over their home loss to Old Miss.

I don't see us winning against Tennessee. It will be Fulmer's last game and they will be trying to send him out on a high note. The odds will be against us.

However, assuming we win both Vandy and UT, with 8 wins, what kind of bowl game could we be looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I don't see us winning against Tennessee. It will be Fulmer's last game and they will be trying to send him out on a high note. The odds will be against us.

However, assuming we win both Vandy and UT, with 8 wins, what kind of bowl game could we be looking at?
    With 8 wins the Outback Bowl would be a good possiblity,maybe Cotton. I'm like you I don't think they will beat UT now. I read somewhere that UT is bringing back a bunch of Fullmer old players and they are basically going to have a big celebration for him before the game. Also if Ewe Tee wins the next two (Wyoming and Vandy) they will be playing for a bowl.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?