Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Quick Recap from Az visit

Quick Recap from Az visit

In general stadiums nicer than Fl, the Peoria (SD/Sea) facility is great. The Reds/Indians facilty is in the part of Phx I like best (west of town). Stadium nowhere close to being done. No visible (from street) work being done on Reds part.

Traffic is murder on the freeways there.

Not a scout, but couldn't shake the feeling that Stubbs, Valaika and Turner are destined to be 2nd tier guys that compete for roster slots, get some playing time and bounce between majors and minors.

Brett Wallace of St Louis has HUGE thighs and butt. If there's a hurricane grab on to him. Hits pretty good though.....

The player that impressed me most? Justin Smoak...... the kid is huge, is super smooth with glove, hits the hell out of the ball. I wish we had taken him.

The unknown that got my attention was Tyler Flowers a catcher for Braves. That guy can hit and he only played A ball this year. Love to see Reds get him.

Sorry Should have posted to Minor League forum
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-05-2008 at 01:07 AM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Quick Recap from Az visit

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The unknown that got my attention was Tyler Flowers a catcher for Braves. That guy can hit and he only played A ball this year. Love to see Reds get him.
    Flowers is a former PED guy, but the guy can flat out rake it. I was asked to help rank the top catchers under the age of 30 in baseball and had him ranked 15th overall, inlcuding major leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Flowers is a former PED guy, but the guy can flat out rake it. I was asked to help rank the top catchers under the age of 30 in baseball and had him ranked 15th overall, inlcuding major leaguers.
    Speaking of that Kpresidente brought up a guy who might be a nice solid fit as a platoon partner for Hanigan but doesn't have any more experience than does Hanigan. John Baker of the Marlins, 27 years old but seemingly a similiar player to Hanigan but with more pop & from the left side. Heard of him and if so what do you think as a late alternative to not getting a vet or stud prospect?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Thanks for the recap, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

The player that impressed me most? Justin Smoak...... the kid is huge, is super smooth with glove, hits the hell out of the ball. I wish we had taken him.
    wasn't alonso ranked lower than smoak?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    By most people, yes. They were considered pretty close in talent, but Smoak was normally rated slightly higher.

By most people, yes. They were considered pretty close in talent, but Smoak was normally rated slightly higher.
    I read somewhere that the intangibles are what separated Alonso from Smoak for the Reds. One thing that appears clear about Alonso is that he works extremely hard.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    It was about 60-40 in favor of Smoak. Generally it was noted that Smoak had more power while Alonso had better discipline, but they were both close to the other guy in each respect.

IIRC there are/were some makeup issues concerning Smoak. Anyway, great report Jax. You lucky guy. How come you didn't catch a flight to Hawaii and give us reports on Alonso and Frazier?

I read that they are having Reds groundbreaking on November 17th

Turn Off Ads?