Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

23 20.91%
  • Danny Dorn

14 12.73%
  • Juan Duran

38 34.55%
  • Carlos Fisher

1 0.91%
  • Chris Heisey

3 2.73%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

1 0.91%
  • Devin Mesoraco

4 3.64%
  • Ramon Ramirez

4 3.64%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

2 1.82%
  • Josh Roenicke

2 1.82%
  • Zach Stewart

12 10.91%
  • Justin Turner

4 3.64%
  • Pedro Viola

2 1.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Redszone's Top Prospects

Prospect #1 - Yonder Alonso
    Prospect #2 - Todd Frazier
    Prospect #3 - Neftali Soto
    Prospect #4 - Drew Stubbs
    Prospect #5 - Chris Valaika
    Prospect #6 - Kyle Lotzkar
    Prospect #7 - Daryl Thompson
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

I'm gonna go with Juan Duran at #9. He's very, very young, but Duran has been described as being one of the best hitting prospects to ever come out of the Dominican Republic. That's very impressive when you look at all the great hitters to come from that island. He's probably five years from helping the Reds but his potential is so high it's enough for me to put him in the top ten. You don't find too many 16 years old described as having plus-plus power potential. And it's not like he's just a big slugger, some scouts have said he's athletic enough to play center field. While that's doubtful, the fact that scouts say that just goes to show how talented Duran is.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm gonna go with Juan Duran at #9. He's very, very young, but Duran has been described as being one of the best hitting prospects to ever come out of the Dominican Republic. That's very impressive when you look at all the great hitters to come from that island. He's probably five years from helping the Reds but his potential is so high it's enough for me to put him in the top ten. You don't find too many 16 years old described as having plus-plus power potential. And it's not like he's just a big slugger, some scouts have said he's athletic enough to play center field. While that's doubtful, the fact that scouts say that just goes to show how talented Duran is.
    I can't do it and I just don't see how anyone can, no disrespect intended. I don't care how high a guys alledged ceiling is, he must show me what he is capable of at least before he get's on the radar. At 16 years old it's kind of difficult for him to show me anything yet. Neftali Soto had an OPS of .809 in the GCL at age 18, that got him on the radar. Can Duran show an OPS of .800 in the DSL at the age of 17? Perhaps but until he does he isn't even on the top ten radar at all for me. Then after he is on the radar he can maybe do what Soto did and improve his OPS at the next level and then doing something like playing at a level high for his age and not slowing down much if at all to get into top 5 consideration.

I wanted to vote Mesoraco here but I accidentally clicked on Dickerson apparentally because of the runoff.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Should add Ryan Hanigan and Adam Rosales

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Should add Ryan Hanigan and Adam Rosales
    I'll add them on the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll add them on the next poll.
    Cool, not saying they'd win but I think they at least deserve consideration 10-20.

Been voting Duran since #4 and will keep it up til he gets it
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I like Duran a lot but voted Dorn based on closeness to the majors. Time to add Evan Hildenbrandt in my view. I don't know how others feel about him but I'd rate him higher than at least half the current list.

That's Dorn's minor league career OPS.

915 would lead the Reds in OPS by a wide, wide margin. And he plays LF.

His only problems are:
    1) He's not a high enough draft pick to warrant extra attention
    2) He's not RH

Dorn can help neither. All he can do is to continue to hit.

Here's betting he will do just that.

Chris Heisey because of his combination of speed, power and hitting ability

DuranDuran

I know its not necessarily conventional thinking, but I went with Zach Stewart.

I like his combination of potential, ability to advance quickly, and his stuff and potential impact at the MLB level the most out of anyone on the list.

Ramon ramirez is closer and I considered him too, but I'm still not entirely sure what to make of him.

Dickerson also is solid, but I fear he is overrated by some here in the same mold as a Chris denorfia. I'm hoping he proves me wrong, I just have doubts I can't rid my self of.

I think Stewart has a high ceiling, the potential to advance rapidly, and a real ability to have an impact and be a difference maker.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I don't think Devin Mesoraco did anything in 2008 to hurt his value as a young catcher with a high ceiling...

After Duran here, it's time for the relievers. The Reds have a number of excellent relief prospects. I'd put Roenicke first since he is close the majors and will, in my view, mow them down throwing gas for a few years. Stewart is a less advanced candidate but also high up.

I see Fisher as more of a setup guy/middle man, but also deserves top fifteen mention.

I know there is debate about the order of these guys, but it's their time to be mentioned on this list. One of the strengths of the Reds system.

All Dickerson has done in his minor league career is provide excellent defense at a key position and have an above average bat for that position.

And of course when he went to a higher level this past season, he was a dominant bat.

If his average OPS is 200 points lower than his first go around in the majors, he's likely one of the better CF's in the game. That may be rose colored glasses talking, but his OBP has always been pretty good, and I figure that will translate pretty well in the majors.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?