Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zach Cozart

    0 0%
  • Chris Dickerson

    23 20.91%
  • Danny Dorn

    14 12.73%
  • Juan Duran

    38 34.55%
  • Carlos Fisher

    1 0.91%
  • Chris Heisey

    3 2.73%
  • Jeremy Horst

    0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

    1 0.91%
  • Devin Mesoraco

    4 3.64%
  • Ramon Ramirez

    4 3.64%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

    2 1.82%
  • Josh Roenicke

    2 1.82%
  • Zach Stewart

    12 10.91%
  • Justin Turner

    4 3.64%
  • Pedro Viola

    2 1.82%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 69

Thread: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    504

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Plus, Frazier hasn't gotten out of the two pitching leagues, yet: the MWL and the FSL. Dorn's numbers really jumped when he went from Sarasota to Chattanooga.
    Dorn skipped the MWL all together and still put up good power numbers in A+ and AA.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    Dorn skipped the MWL all together and still put up good power numbers in A+ and AA.
    All I'm saying is that Dorn's OPS while in Sarasota was ~.811 at 22 and 23 yrs. old. It's been ~.943 once he got to AA.

    I'd rather wait to see how Frazier fares in less of a hitter's league himself before I compare their respective OPSes.

  4. #48
    Member SMcGavin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,483

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Todd Frazier - 22 years old
    Danny Dorn - 24 years old

    Thats a fairly significant difference in the prospect world, especially when you want to compare stats.
    Frazier, age 21, Billings: .319/.409/.513 - .922 OPS
    Dorn, age 21/22, Billings: .354/.457/.573 - 1.030 OPS

    No comparison in Dayton since Dorn skipped that level.

    Frazier, age 22, Sarasota: .281/.357/.451 - .808 OPS
    Dorn, age 22/23, Sarasota: .281/.359/.456 - .815 OPS

    If you want to dock Dorn because he was six months older than Frazier was when they went through the same levels, that's up to you.

  5. #49
    Member kpresidente's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Todd Frazier - 22 years old
    Danny Dorn - 24 years old

    Thats a fairly significant difference in the prospect world, especially when you want to compare stats.

    Of course, you can just compare them at the same age
    Code:
    Frazier - Ages 21-22
    RK      .409|.513|.922
    A       .397|.619|1.016
    A+      .357|.451|.808
    
    Dorn - Ages 21-22
    RK      .457|.573|1.030
    A+      .355|.458|.813
    
    Votto - Ages 21-22
    A+      .330|.425|.755
    AA      .408|.547|.955
    You can see that neither was as advanced as Votto was. It's interesting to see how the FSL kills your numbers. What's even more interesting is that Jay Bruce blasted a .965 there and he was only 20.

  6. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    After Duran here, it's time for the relievers. The Reds have a number of excellent relief prospects. I'd put Roenicke first since he is close the majors and will, in my view, mow them down throwing gas for a few years. Stewart is a less advanced candidate but also high up.

    I see Fisher as more of a setup guy/middle man, but also deserves top fifteen mention.

    I know there is debate about the order of these guys, but it's their time to be mentioned on this list. One of the strengths of the Reds system.
    I agree. I will add that I see all 3 as safe bets to be in the majors in 2009 for Roenicke and Fisher, and 2010 for Stewart. And they should be higher than Dickerson and Dorn because those guys are safe bets as projected as OF reserves, not regulars. Dickerson does not have the bat to stick in the lineup and Dorn is very weak vrs. lefties and is a defensive liability in LF.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,048

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I agree. I will add that I see all 3 as safe bets to be in the majors in 2009 for Roenicke and Fisher, and 2010 for Stewart. And they should be higher than Dickerson and Dorn because those guys are safe bets as projected as OF reserves, not regulars. Dickerson does not have the bat to stick in the lineup and Dorn is very weak vrs. lefties and is a defensive liability in LF.
    I disagree, but I still like those guys. I'm beginning to feel like some of the guys are going to be undervalued by their prospect ranking because of the strength of the system. Does any one else feel this way? I see about 15 guys who would be top 10 prospects and than a few more who could get consideration in a lot of systems. Am I giving the the farm too much credit?

  8. #52
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,413

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    All I'm saying is that Dorn's OPS while in Sarasota was ~.811 at 22 and 23 yrs. old. It's been ~.943 once he got to AA.

    I'd rather wait to see how Frazier fares in less of a hitter's league himself before I compare their respective OPSes.
    I meant to say I want to see how Frazier fares in more of a hitter's league, which is only the direct opposite of what I stated above.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-04-2008 at 05:35 AM.

  9. #53
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,087

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Of course, you can just compare them at the same age
    Code:
    Frazier - Ages 21-22
    RK      .409|.513|.922
    A       .397|.619|1.016
    A+      .357|.451|.808
    
    Dorn - Ages 21-22
    RK      .457|.573|1.030
    A+      .355|.458|.813
    
    Votto - Ages 21-22
    A+      .330|.425|.755
    AA      .408|.547|.955
    You can see that neither was as advanced as Votto was. It's interesting to see how the FSL kills your numbers. What's even more interesting is that Jay Bruce blasted a .965 there and he was only 20.
    Wasn't Votto under the take a pitch rule DanO came up with while he was in Sarasota?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  10. #54
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,759

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Wasn't Votto under the take a pitch rule DanO came up with while he was in Sarasota?
    Yes he was. He was one of the biggest complainers publicly about that rule and how it completely ruined what you were attempting to do at the plate.

  11. #55
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    I'm quite surprised by the lack of voting for Devin Mesoraco. He was ranked #10 on RZ last year, and he didn't do anything in 2008 to hurt his stock IMO...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  12. #56
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm quite surprised by the lack of voting for Devin Mesoraco. He was ranked #10 on RZ last year, and he didn't do anything in 2008 to hurt his stock IMO...
    Seems to me there were reports deriding his defense this past summer. Doug may be able to shed some light on why Mesoraco's stock has fallen a bit.

  13. #57
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm quite surprised by the lack of voting for Devin Mesoraco. He was ranked #10 on RZ last year, and he didn't do anything in 2008 to hurt his stock IMO...
    I think it's a combination of heightened excitement for other prospects and the fact that Mesoraco didn't blow up and go crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  14. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    779

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think it's a combination of heightened excitement for other prospects and the fact that Mesoraco didn't blow up and go crazy.
    Mesoraco did smack some guys around in the brawl with Peoria


  15. #59
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,759

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Seems to me there were reports deriding his defense this past summer. Doug may be able to shed some light on why Mesoraco's stock has fallen a bit.
    If his stock has fallen in some eyes I think its because they expect a catcher to progress at the same rate as other positions, and that just doesn't happen with an occasional rare exception.

  16. #60
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    5,705

    Re: Who is Redszone's #9 prospect?

    Is a change from 10 to 13/14 really a significant drop? It would seem that there has been other guys who have progressed faster, been added to the system, etc that have nudged him down. He is in a stage where the new prospect smell has rubbed off a bit so he lacks the buzz of Yonder Yorman and Duran but hasn't shown himself at the higher levels like Thompson, Dickerson and Ramirez. There are a lot of talented guys in the 5 to 15 range and I have no idea really where to put them other than by gut and gut is sometimes swayed by excitement rather than head.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25