Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phil Fulmer out in Volunteer-Land

Phil Fulmer out in Volunteer-Land

ESPN is reporting here
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phil Fulmer out in Volunteer-Land

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Going to be interesting to see who Ewe Tee goes after to coach them. I wonder if Leach at Texas Tech would consider going to Knoxville?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

They should go after Rich Rodriguez.

In all seriousness, that's a pretty good job. I'd go after Skip Holtz if I were them. Maybe the guy from Oklahoma State as well (although, I think he's seen as kind of a whack job by many).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think Mike Leach is heading to Clemson. Just a gut feeling.

What's funny is that Mike Leach has been doing this for years with the offense. Nothing this year is any different than any other year. The difference is that they finally have some guys who can play defense. And now all of a sudden Leach is a hot commodity. He's a great offensive mind, but beware of the guy who's been around a while then has one great year. I've seen it countless times in college sports, both basketball and football. A guy comes along and gets hot one year and becomes the next big thing in coaching. He's given a job too big for him and they wind up failing.

I'm not suggesting Leach is that guy. I'm just always leery of the guy who's all of sudden hot based on one season.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

A sad day IMO. Fulmer did a lot of good things for that university over the years. It's funny how a few bad seasons can erase over a decade of success, on and off the field. Fulmer was a Tennessee man, through and through. He oversaw Peyton's success, he led them to a national title, what more could you ask for? Unquestionably, it was time to go. He'd run his course. I just hope that after his final game in Neyland Stadium, those fans get on their feet and give that man one hell of a standing ovation as a going away gift, because he deserves at least that much.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    As a UK fan, i'm not really laughing.

Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball, and Fulmer has seriously overstayed his welcome in Knoxville. If anything, this reminds me a lot of Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Good coach, just not the right one for the program at this time.

My guess is Leach should be candidate numero uno. The question is would Tennessee fans who pride themselves on defense ever get used to seeing what is going on in Lubbock right now on the defensive side of the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Tennessee seems to be a patient athletic department. They had a lot of patience with Johnny Majors and a lot of patience with Fulmer. That should make it an appealing destination for a coach looking for a destination to end his career.
    /r/reds

The name I heard bandied about was Lane Kiffin. I think he's going to be coaching prospect numero uno next year.

Also, I wouldn't leave The other, other OSU(the one in Oklahoma City) with the money T. Boone Pickens is throwing around, I'd probably be pretty happy to live in OKC, catch some thunder games, and live it up.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Tennessee is to football what Kentucky is to basketball, and Fulmer has seriously overstayed his welcome in Knoxville. If anything, this reminds me a lot of Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Good coach, just not the right one for the program at this time.

My guess is Leach should be candidate numero uno. The question is would Tennessee fans who pride themselves on defense ever get used to seeing what is going on in Lubbock right now on the defensive side of the ball.
    Can you imagine Mike Leach & Bruce Pearl at the same school?

Woah.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've always wondered who would win in a pie-eating contest: Phil Fulmer or Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz.

v.

Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

I just don't think much of Fulmer or the way he ran his program.

In addition to what you hear in the news, I've heard lots of stories from reliable souces that I won't get into here.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I've always wondered who would win in a pie-eating contest: Phil Fulmer or Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz.

v.

Looks like they both may have plenty of time to match up in that contest.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

v.

It's not a contest w/o the coach from Kansas.

Turn Off Ads?