Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Merged: UK Basketball

And to kick it off, new uniforms

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=861647

Upon hearing the powers that be at Nike and Kentucky left an eighth square blank in the waistband of their new uniform shorts, Penny Chenery leaned over a whispered in Billy Gillispie's ear.

UK coach Billy Gillispie sat with Secretariat owner Penny Chenery at the unveiling of the Cats' new uniforms on Friday.
    "No pressure," Chenery said.

All Gillispie could do was laugh. Kentucky unveiled its new uniform ensemble at a no-expense-spared VIP event on Friday and where it was revealed that the shorts included all seven of the Cats' national championship years plus a box for the next one the message from Chenery was perfect. The owner of super horse Secretariat knows what it's like to have a whole world watching.

"You have no idea how much of a fan of yours I've been forever and your horse," Gillispie told Chenery when he stepped to the podium. "I was 14 years old when he won the Triple Crown and I remember exactly where I was that day. I can still remember them saying 'He's moving like a tremendous machine.' What a great champion he was."

Drawing inspiration from Secretariat's distinctive silks and the Commonwealth's deep-rooted love affair with thoroughbred racing, college basketball's winningest program set out to develop a uniform both unique and inspirational. The 18-month process culminated in a star-studded affair on Keeneland Race Track's grounds that featured all seven of the Cats' national title trophies and four lockers full of new UK gear.

It was the perfect prelude to Big Blue Madness, set to take place just hours later at Rupp Arena.

"I'm amazed at some of these things," Gillispie said. "We are going to have 24,000 fans at (Madness) and Secretariat one time before his last race was training at Aqueduct, very synonymous with our (Madness), and he had 33,000 people come out to see him on a non-racing day. What he did was, and what Kentucky has always done, is inspire greatness."

Nike's creative team, led by a Corbin native, gave a 15-minute presentation on what went into the design of the new uniforms. The tighter fitting tops and longer shorts are 18 percent lighter than last year's model, but the attention to detail was stunning.

The uniforms have a muted checkerboard pattern designed to evoke images of Secretariat's blue and white checkered silks storming down the lane in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. There are also two tributes to the late Bill Keightley - a black 'K' in the word 'KENTUCKY' and a small black vertical patch that reads 'Mr. Wildcat' in script.

The entire team entered the event wearing the full ensemble, complete with royal blue shoes that they will wear this season. As for that empty box, well Gillispie had a message for Mrs. Chenery as well.

"Our goal at Kentucky basketball is to fill in that last box," Gillispie said.

Chenery knows the feeling.

I really like the new uniforms. The checkerboard design and Secretariat look is pretty neat, same with the "K" and Mr. Wildcat design on the uniform.

Daniel Orton played in the pickup game and had a good showing. He is down to Kentucky and Kansas. I just hope the Midnight Madness helps in the recruiting effort.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your 2008-2009 Kentucky Wildcats Basketball Thread

I really like the white ones. They have a clean, but new look that exudes tradition. On the contrary, I am not very fond of the blue. The color is good, but the checker doesn't look good on that color. The style of the shorts is very cool. I think the years would be better if they had them going up the sides, or up the white and black parts of the shorts, to kind of symbolize the road they have traveled.

Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

WV Red and UK Fans:
    In case you've been away today, Daniel Orton has decided on UK, has committed, and has already had a press conference announcing his decision. All that before he left Lexington from the weekend!
    Man are we gonna SERIOUSLY kick some tail the next few years!!!

Don't tell my wife or kids, but my "Man Love" for Billy G. just keeps growing and growing and . . . lol!

Heres to ONE of my teams being good this year (hopefully)

If Kentucky can somehow convince Patterson to stay for his junior year, this team could be unstoppable in the paint in 2009. With Pilgrim and Orton joining Patterson and Stevenson, we could have the deepest frontcourt in the nation.

2009 is shaping up pretty nicely with Hood, Orton, Vilarino, and Pilgrim. Depending on who else is out there, this could really be fun to watch.

The main area of concern this year is going to be PG and depth. It will likely come down to Michael Porter, Kevin Galloway, or DeAndre Liggins. Porter has been the model of inconsistency throughout his Kentucky career, and unless he has made major adjustments, this could be a problem. He would likely be the favorite over Kevin Galloway and DeAndre Liggins.

If I had to guess:
    PG-Michael Porter
    SG-Jodie Meeks
    SF-Ramon Harris
    PF-Perry Stevenson
    C-Patrick Patterson
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If Kentucky can somehow convince Patterson to stay for his junior year, this team could be unstoppable in the paint in 2009. With Pilgrim and Orton joining Patterson and Stevenson, we could have the deepest frontcourt in the nation.

2009 is shaping up pretty nicely with Hood, Orton, Vilarino, and Pilgrim. Depending on who else is out there, this could really be fun to watch.

The main area of concern this year is going to be PG and depth. It will likely come down to Michael Porter, Kevin Galloway, or DeAndre Liggins. Porter has been the model of inconsistency throughout his Kentucky career, and unless he has made major adjustments, this could be a problem. He would likely be the favorite over Kevin Galloway and DeAndre Liggins.

If I had to guess:
    PG-Michael Porter
    SG-Jodie Meeks
    SF-Ramon Harris
    PF-Perry Stevenson
    C-Patrick Patterson
    I really think Liggins will start. I can't Porter playing all that much unless there are injuries or Galloway and Liggins struggle badly. The other four are probably right. Orton was huge get in recruiting. He was their main target for next season. If Patterson does stay their frontline will be huge and pretty darn good. But, I think, if Patterson has they type of season we all think he will have he will certainly go pro. Should be a fun year and pretty good one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I really think Liggins will start. I can't Porter playing all that much unless there are injuries or Galloway and Liggins struggle badly. The other four are probably right. Orton was huge get in recruiting. He was their main target for next season. If Patterson does stay their frontline will be huge and pretty darn good. But, I think, if Patterson has they type of season we all think he will have he will certainly go pro. Should be a fun year and pretty good one.
    When Patterson first came he talked of staying all four years. I think his knee injury changed a lot of that.

Just think if we hadn't lost Derrick Jasper right now.

Coach Gillispie said during his interview during Big Blue Madness that Michael Porter has made the most progress of any player on the team. I don't think there's any doubt that he will begin the season as the starting point guard unless something truly crazy happens.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Coach Gillispie said during his interview during Big Blue Madness that Michael Porter has made the most progress of any player on the team. I don't think there's any doubt that he will begin the season as the starting point guard unless something truly crazy happens.
    He must have made tremendous improvement. Last season he was a turnover machine and looked overwhelmed most of the time. I hope he has because they will be very young at PG.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Am I allowed to comment in this thread? WMR got mad last year when Dab and I posted in the UK threads.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Am I allowed to comment in this thread? WMR got mad last year when Dab and I posted in the UK threads.
    hahaha of course you're welcome.

it's not like you're going to have much in the way of Indiana basketball to get excited about this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    hahaha of course you're welcome.

it's not like you're going to have much in the way of Indiana basketball to get excited about this year.
    Actually, I'm very much looking forward to watching the youngsters develop. I can't wait for the season to start!

Are the Wildcats picked to win the SEC by any publications?

Actually, I'm very much looking forward to watching the youngsters develop. I can't wait for the season to start!

Are the Wildcats picked to win the SEC by any publications?
    I agree with you on the Hoosiers. And your boy Crean will do it the right way, no questions about that.

You know... that's a good question... I bet most will pick Tennessee. I think Kentucky has a great chance to win the SEC, however. Coach Gillispie has built a great team.

Looks like Liggins will get qualified... Galloway has been impressive as a JuCo... Miller is impressing the hell out of everybody...

UK is going to have a really nice season this year, I think. And it's only going to get better.
    Last edited by WMR; 10-21-2008 at 11:23 AM.

I saw one preseason poll that had UK finishing 3rd in the East, behind UT and Florida.

I saw one preseason poll that had UK finishing 3rd in the East, behind UT and Florida.
    Have you seen Florida's schedule this season? Disgraceful as usual.

Turn Off Ads?