Turn Off Ads?
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869
Results 1,021 to 1,031 of 1031

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    They won't draw the Fightin' Tubbies in the 1st round. Uk in the Not Invited Tourney may outdraw the Sweet 16 this year. No Uk recruits, no Scott County and no real compelling stories other than Elliot Cty.
    Granted, Tubby did leave on better terms than Pitino.

Every time I have ever went to the Sweet 16, it has always been easier to get better seats than going to a game at Rupp. To my knowledge, Rupp doesn't sell out during the Sweet 16. That being said, the NIT likely wouldn't be much of a draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Granted, Tubby did leave on better terms than Pitino. Every time I have ever went to the Sweet 16, it has always been easier to get better seats than going to a game at Rupp. To my knowledge, Rupp doesn't sell out during the Sweet 16. That being said, the NIT likely wouldn't be much of a draw.
    When Farmer was at Clay County they got pretty close to selling out. They generally draw 14-16k depending on who is playing. I would guess they would get 20k or so for a NIT 1st round game as some folks would see it as a chance to see them live when they might otherwise not get to. 9k seats at Memorial will go fast. If for nothing else than the novelty.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

It's all academic, though. UK has already said that any first round NIT game would be at Memorial.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    You do realize getting your information from Tipton is the equivalent of getting it from the horses behind, right?

Honestly, I could care less how Gillispie comes off with the media. The fact of the matter is, Kentucky fans (and I am one) have been spoiled with coaches who are all things to all people.

Rick Pitino relished in the role. Tubby was able to handle it as well. Every coach here since Rupp has been somewhat cordial with the media. The only thing I care about is wins and making it to the NCAA tournament. That didn't happen, but we are still going through a transition with a young coach.
    As you stated "Every coach here since Rupp has been somewhat cordial with the media".
    Even Hall and Sutton. Of course KY has always been one of THE teams in basketball and winning helped the coaches to an extent. But with the UK program, comes call in shows, tv shows, endorsements, pre and post game radio as well as lots of other interviews for networks etc.
    I am sure he wouldnt admit it but Leach probably doesnt relish the job of interviewing BG very much.
    As far as it mattering. I told a guy this week if we were winning, it may not stand out as much yet as a fan, it does embarrass me when he looks like a jerk on National TV. Now everyone has their moments, so once or twice doesnt bother me but I just hope he doesnt develope this type of persona as the rule rather than the exception.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

So, does Minnesota make the dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I can't see how they miss the NCAA at this point.

BTW, for those that inquired earlier, the Sweet 16 had an iron-clad contract with the Lexington Center and had no desire to move venues for the NIT.

The early round games of the Sweet 16 do not normally sellout because they are afternoon affairs. However, depending upon the teams, I have seen those games close to capacity, as well. This year, Lexington Catholic is really the real draw from Central KY.

Not a chance. I already have my Sweet 16 tix in hand and hotel reservations made. There would be hell to pay if they tried to move it. From me and several thousand others who already have our tix.
    Pfft. It's not like you can't catch a cab from Lexington to Louisville to see your precious Sweet Sixteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If Miss St. beats Tenn. tomorrow, I think they take Minnesota's spot. I think Baylor makes it as well. Minnesota is really on the bubble.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

When Farmer was at Clay County they got pretty close to selling out. They generally draw 14-16k depending on who is playing. I would guess they would get 20k or so for a NIT 1st round game as some folks would see it as a chance to see them live when they might otherwise not get to. 9k seats at Memorial will go fast. If for nothing else than the novelty.
    I been to every sweet-sixteen for the last 22 years. Not every game but several each year. The 1987 game when Farmer was a junior was close to selling out for the final game.

Farmers senior year in 1988, they made it to the final game at Freedom Hall against Allen Houston and Louisville Ballard. Could be the best championship game ever. Farmer had 51, but lost a close one to Ballard.
    Last edited by George Foster; 03-14-2009 at 10:48 PM.

I honestly feel Mitch Barnhart with permission from Pres. Todd, is trying to force Billy out. New quotes are coming out daily from Barnhart about how if "we" ask our players to make adjustments then "we" should be able to make adjustments as well. Barnhart was quoted saying yesturday that the coach at UK is an "ambassador" for the University. Meaning that he does not think Billy has been a very good one.

I think they know they can't fire him but they can make him as uncomfortable as heck.
    Last edited by George Foster; 03-14-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Closed per the 1,000 reply rule. Please start another thread to continue the discussion.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?