Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 69 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1031

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

I actually looked it up. Seriously, Big Blue Nation keeps tabs on this?

Tony Greene has now officiated 67 games.
    In those games, UK is 42-25.

UK has been called for an average of 18.55 fouls, and their opponents have been called for an average of 18.61 fouls.

Although since Gillespie's been hired, UK is 7-9 in 16 games while being called for 18.87 fouls and the opponents being called for 18 fouls.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I actually looked it up. Seriously, Big Blue Nation keeps tabs on this?

Tony Greene has now officiated 67 games.
    In those games, UK is 42-25.

UK has been called for an average of 18.55 fouls, and their opponents have been called for an average of 18.61 fouls.

Although since Gillespie's been hired, UK is 7-9 in 16 games while being called for 18.87 fouls and the opponents being called for 18 fouls.
    Black helicopters

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Let's hear this conspiracy theory that the SEC office must not know about.
    There was actually a post at tbk that was worthwhile in this department. Some stats were provided that showed the differences in games he did were minimal. That was after the Vandy game.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Compare their winning percentages with and without him officiating. Also, there's a heck of a lot more to how an official affects a basketball game than fouls called.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I actually looked it up. Seriously, Big Blue Nation keeps tabs on this? Tony Greene has now officiated 67 games. In those games, UK is 42-25. UK has been called for an average of 18.55 fouls, and their opponents have been called for an average of 18.61 fouls. Although since Gillespie's been hired, UK is 7-9 in 16 games while being called for 18.87 fouls and the opponents being called for 18 fouls.
    Thanks for looking that up.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Compare their winning percentages with and without him officiating. Also, there's a heck of a lot more to how an official affects a basketball game than fouls called.
    7-9 really isnt that far of bg's total win % at UK.

He's probably a UT grad.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Thanks for looking that up.
    I was just amazed there was a website which had the information so readily available.

Oh by the way, since BG's come to town the technicals are 4-UK, 3-Opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Hopefully BG can land Bledsoe. 12th PG. (67th overall). We desperately need good PG play.

Add that to 32nd overall, SG Jon Hood and 22nd overall, C Daniel Orton.

Those prospects with a year of seasoning should do us good.

Saw this article today from Jerry Tipton:

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/724533.html

This is why Gillispie will not be back next year.

Gillispie's tunnel vision creates a minimalist approach: recruit better players and coach them into dominant teams. Any responsibility to UK fans pretty much ends there.

Barnhart, who keeps an eye on the till, sees an additional duty: ambassador to the fans and public face of the commonwealth.

The two spoke of their views Thursday after Kentucky beat Mississippi in the Southeastern Conference Tournament. These contrasting views figure to come up when the two meet after the season to discuss the path Kentucky basketball must take into the future.

When a reporter suggested that any UK basketball coach is a public figure with public responsibilities, Gillispie said, "That wasn't on the job description."
    Gillispie goes on to say that it's his job to win games. Granted. However, he apparently fails to grasp what it means to be the head of a program so rich in tradition.

Someone said earlier that Gillispie's downfall will be the stuff that doesn't happen between tip-off and the final buzzer and I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Saw this article today from Jerry Tipton: http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/724533.html This is why Gillispie will not be back next year. Gillispie goes on to say that it's his job to win games. Granted. However, he apparently fails to grasp what it means to be the head of a program so rich in tradition. Someone said earlier that Gillispie's downfall will be the stuff that doesn't happen between tip-off and the final buzzer and I agree.
    Barnhart should have known this would be an issue 2 years ago.

Barnhart should have known this would be an issue 2 years ago.
    I just read a Courier-Journal article that stated that very thing. This is Billy Gillispie, like him or not. He hasn't changed nor will he.

Here it is. It's from Eric Crawford.

All Gillispie wants to change is UK's record

The Kentucky players had left the locker room after yesterday's 71-58 win over Mississippi in the first game of the SEC Tournament.

The lone remaining Wildcat was coach Billy Gillispie, who was surrounded by a small group of reporters. He held a plastic cup of soft drink and never stopped fidgeting with it as talk turned to his future at UK.

Here's the main thing you need to know about Gillispie's approach when it comes to the recent speculation concerning his job.

"I didn't come here to be a celebrity," Gillispie said. "I came here to coach basketball."

You might or might not like Gillispie, the job he has done as coach, his demeanor with the public and the media or his sometimes maddening stubbornness in matters ranging from substitutions to strategy. But yesterday Gillispie made one thing clear: Like him or not, you're not going to change him.

Last week, UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart told ESPN.com that he would sit down with the coach at the end of the season. He talked about the need for "adjustments," and spoke about the public role of the UK basketball coach.

Asked to respond, Gillispie said, "You need to talk to Mitch, I guess. I don't know. I don't have any response to anything. It doesn't matter to me. You're talking to the wrong guy."

This is who Gillispie is. He wants to coach. He wants to recruit. He doesn't want to entertain you. And here's the problem, if Barnhart is dissatisfied with this. It's who Gillispie always has been. It's who he was at Texas A&M. It's who he was last season.

When Gillispie arrived, he was viewed as a breath of small-town Texas fresh air. He was no-nonsense and serious about winning. He had no life outside of basketball. Nothing Gillispie has done here, with the exception of going 8-8 in the Southeastern Conference, has been different from the coach who was advertised. This is who Barnhart chose. And this is who he got.

The problem -- and Gillispie said this yesterday -- isn't his public persona. It's his win-loss record. If Gillispie were winning the SEC, he could bring Jeannine Edwards flowers and call her honey, and his fan base would smile and wink.

But you mess with their string of NCAA Tournaments, and the charm wears off faster than the dew on a Texas summer morning. Gillispie insisted yesterday that the public requirements of the UK job are just like any other coaching job.

When pressed with the notion that UK's coach has more of a public role than most, Gillispie quipped, "Well, that wasn't on the job description. … You can be as public as you want to be and not win enough games and it makes no difference. We have to win games."

"I think, like I've said many times before, our No. 1 thing is to coach the team and our No. 2 thing is to recruit, and those are very, very, very close," he said moments before. "And those are the main things that we need to do to get this program back where it needs to be. Celebrity, whatever, makes me no difference."

As he spoke, Gillispie glanced over at an SEC official who was counting down until the mandatory interview period would be ended. "Two minutes," he shouted out at one point.

UK basketball, I've said in this space before, has enjoyed its greatest heights with coaches who were iconic. Adolph Rupp. Rick Pitino. Men who commanded attention and were masters with the media. Barnhart is no more going to move Gillispie in that direction than he is going to get him to try a zone defense. In fact, Barnhart might have more luck on the zone thing.

Gillispie is wrong if he thinks the public role of the UK coach isn't greater than that of most coaches. But on this he is right: Winning is the ultimate personality enhancer.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Here it is. It's from Eric Crawford.
    Let me ask you this -- how would IU fans have reacted if Overrated Crean had made this type of comment?

Let me ask you this -- how would IU fans have reacted if Overrated Crean had made this type of comment?
    Probably not very well. IU's situation was a tad different though. Crean replaced a guy that got the program in trouble thanks to NCAA violations. Billy replaced an underachiever. UK wanted and needed a guy to come in and start winning lots of games. IU needed someone to come in and clean up a gigantic mess.

Turn Off Ads?