Turn Off Ads?
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869 LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1031

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Probably not very well. IU's situation was a tad different though. Crean replaced a guy that got the program in trouble thanks to NCAA violations. Billy replaced an underachiever. UK wanted and needed a guy to come in and start winning lots of games. IU needed someone to come in and clean up a gigantic mess.
    I meant, with the comparison, that Overrated Crean has done all the right things, pr wise, and it doesn't seem to have hurt him in recruiting or getting his team prepared and playing hard. And it has smoothed the way in a rough season.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I meant, with the comparison, that Overrated Crean has done all the right things, pr wise, and it doesn't seem to have hurt him in recruiting or getting his team prepared and playing hard. And it has smoothed the way in a rough season.
    Absolutely. He managed to completely energize a dejected fanbase. Assembly Hall was packed at the end of the season, a season where the Hoosiers went 6-25. That's pretty incredible. And I have no idea how he kept those kids playing with so much intensity even though the losses were piling up. His "PR" abilities certainly didn't hurt recruiting either. They've got a top 10 class coming in next year.

part of BBN

Changing the subject while keeping UK involved, the NIT is probably licking its chops at some of the teams it could be looking at.

Kentucky
    Georgetown
    Cincinnati
    Notre Dame
    Minnesota
    to name a few possibles. Anyone smell an early round matchup of UK vs Minn ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Last edited by WMR; 03-13-2009 at 06:34 PM.

This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think UK should play in the NIT. Why would they want to extend this season? It's not like they're having so much fun and don't want it to end.

As a fan, why would you want to see this team play more basketball games during the 2008-09 season?
    Last edited by macro; 03-13-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Changing the subject while keeping UK involved, the NIT is probably licking its chops at some of the teams it could be looking at.

Kentucky
    Georgetown
    Cincinnati
    Notre Dame
    Minnesota
    to name a few possibles. Anyone smell an early round matchup of UK vs Minn?
    Not me.

UK will probably come up short; while, I think Minnesota has played their way into the NCAA this week. Their RPI keeps getting better and better and their early season win over Louisville doesn't hurt either.

By the way, I think you need to add Arizona to your list. No way that team belongs in the field either.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think UK should play in the NIT. Why would they want to extend this season? It's not like they're having so much fun and don't want it to end.

As a fan, why would you want to see this team play more basketball games during the 2008-09 season?
    This might sound lame to some, but I would like to see them make a run in the NIT and play in MSG. It could help UK re-capture some recruiting prowess in the Big Apple-the likes of which we have not seen since the little Italian fello roamed the sidelines of Rupp.

Also, I think it would be cool to see them play a home game next week in the (remodeled) Memorial Coliseum. With the high school-like seating capacity, pulling a ticket would be next to impossible...but I would like to give it a shot.

I have an original piece of the floor from Memorial that was salvaged a year or so ago during the remodel. The nostaligic side of me would love to say that I saw them play an actual meaningful game in that gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    This might sound lame to some, but I would like to see them make a run in the NIT and play in MSG. It could help UK re-capture some recruiting prowess in the Big Apple-the likes of which we have not seen since the little Italian fello roamed the sidelines of Rupp.

Also, I think it would be cool to see them play a home game next week in the (remodeled) Memorial Coliseum. With the high school-like seating capacity, pulling a ticket would be next to impossible...but I would like to give it a shot.

I have an original piece of the floor from Memorial that was salvaged a year or so ago during the remodel. The nostaligic side of me would love to say that I saw them play an actual meaningful game in that gym.
    I could see Gillispie pulling something to this effect:

"You don't deserve to play in Rupp Arena. We are playing this game at Memorial Coliseum"
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Saw this article today from Jerry Tipton:

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/724533.html
    You do realize getting your information from Tipton is the equivalent of getting it from the horses behind, right?

Honestly, I could care less how Gillispie comes off with the media. The fact of the matter is, Kentucky fans (and I am one) have been spoiled with coaches who are all things to all people.

Rick Pitino relished in the role. Tubby was able to handle it as well. Every coach here since Rupp has been somewhat cordial with the media. The only thing I care about is wins and making it to the NCAA tournament. That didn't happen, but we are still going through a transition with a young coach.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I could see Gillispie pulling something to this effect: "You don't deserve to play in Rupp Arena. We are playing this game at Memorial Coliseum"
    He wouldn't have any choice. Sweet 16 is at Rupp next week.

He wouldn't have any choice. Sweet 16 is at Rupp next week.
    True. It should speak volumes though. I'm sure they could move the tournament to Memorial or even Freedom Hall if they wanted. I am hoping Gillispie takes a page from Billy Donovan to send a message.

BTW, what was the comment from Larry Conley about how Darius Miller may not be back next season? That was the first I had heard anything.

Move the Sweet Sixteen for the NIT?!?! Are you nuts?

I remember Louisville having to play an NIT game in Broadbent Arena one year because Freedom Hall was unavailable. Now THAT's an unappealing location for a game!

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Move the Sweet Sixteen for the NIT?!?! Are you nuts?

I remember Louisville having to play an NIT game in Broadbent Arena one year because Freedom Hall was unavailable. Now THAT's an unappealing location for a game!
    I'm sure it could be done, but IMO I would rather see UK play the games at Memorial.

Even then, here is the real question.

Which do you think would provide the bigger draw? The Sweet Sixteen at Rupp or Kentucky playing in a second rate tournament? Like it or not, UK would still likely draw a bigger crowd, even with the high school tourney going on.

PS: If Kentucky draws Minnesota, they likely would have to play at Rupp.
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-13-2009 at 10:13 PM.

True. It should speak volumes though. I'm sure they could move the tournament to Memorial or even Freedom Hall if they wanted. I am hoping Gillispie takes a page from Billy Donovan to send a message. BTW, what was the comment from Larry Conley about how Darius Miller may not be back next season? That was the first I had heard anything.
    Not a chance. I already have my Sweet 16 tix in hand and hotel reservations made. There would be hell to pay if they tried to move it. From me and several thousand others who already have our tix.

I'm sure it could be done, but IMO I would rather see UK play the games at Memorial. Even then, here is the real question. Which do you think would provide the bigger draw? The Sweet Sixteen at Rupp or Kentucky playing in a second rate tournament? Like it or not, UK would still likely draw a bigger crowd, even with the high school tourney going on. PS: If Kentucky draws Minnesota, they likely would have to play at Rupp.
    They won't draw the Fightin' Tubbies in the 1st round. Uk in the Not Invited Tourney may outdraw the Sweet 16 this year. No Uk recruits, no Scott County and no real compelling stories other than Elliot Cty.

Turn Off Ads?