Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I personally don't have any ill will towards the Tubster. I think he stayed at Kentucky about 4 years too long, but I have much love for the man for the coaching job he did in the 1998 NCAA tourney.
    ditto for Redhook
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I personally don't have any ill will towards the Tubster. I think he stayed at Kentucky about 4 years too long, but I have much love for the man for the coaching job he did in the 1998 NCAA tourney.
    Same from me. Tubby was still a good coach when he left and still is at Minnesota. But for whatever reason he couldn't seal the deal when it came to program turning players his last few seasons. He will always have a spot in my heart from me for winning that 98 championship. One that I really didn't expect that season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have nothing against Tubby and appreciate him for his time at Kentucky. His recruiting did end up leaving something to be desired but, to me, another coach was needed when the discipline problems became more frequent. It seemed as though Tubby was losing control of the players he did manage to sign.

Rondo leaving wasn't a good sign, either. It's one thing for a player to seek NBA cash but Rondo was unhappy under Tubby and Rondo never seemed to be a "prima donna" type of player. I figured if good players don't want to play for Tubby, it can't be good.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I have nothing against Tubby and appreciate him for his time at Kentucky. His recruiting did end up leaving something to be desired but, to me, another coach was needed when the discipline problems became more frequent. It seemed as though Tubby was losing control of the players he did manage to sign.

Rondo leaving wasn't a good sign, either. It's one thing for a player to seek NBA cash but Rondo was unhappy under Tubby and Rondo never seemed to be a "prima donna" type of player. I figured if good players don't want to play for Tubby, it can't be good.
    The problem was Rondo's role on the team. The way I understood it at the time, if Rondo didn't go pro, Ramel Bradley was going to transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Notwithstanding the Tubby talk, there was a game today.

Kentucky beat the Mike Jarvises of Florida Atlantic 76-69. From what I gathered, the defense kept Florida Atlantic in the game.

Patterson had 27 points and 14 boards. The best part of the game, only seven turnovers.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Notwithstanding the Tubby talk, there was a game today.

Kentucky beat the Mike Jarvises of Florida Atlantic 76-69. From what I gathered, the defense kept Florida Atlantic in the game.

Patterson had 27 points and 14 boards. The best part of the game, only seven turnovers.
    I was watching while trying to do some things around the house so my attention wasn't all there. But it seemed as though the defensive intensity wasn't there for the most part. FAU did hit some crazy shots with people all over them. You have to give FAU credit,they did play a very good game. The low turnovers for UK probably saved them. If they turn it over 20 times they probably lose this one. They also shot poorly from 3 point area. It was a win, so we'll take it and move on. One more,hopefully,easy one,then the real schedule kicks in with UL and the SEC.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yay!

Only turned it over 7 times but only forced 9 out of the Owls. A pretty listless performance overall. Some of the younger guys went back on the shelf yesterday. That aint good.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Only turned it over 7 times but only forced 9 out of the Owls. A pretty listless performance overall. Some of the younger guys went back on the shelf yesterday. That aint good.
    Not necessarily.

Brandon Slone got a lot of playing time. I have a feeling that if he catches fire, he will be a real gem.

John Pelphrey anyone? (They did go to the same high school)

Not necessarily.

Brandon Slone got a lot of playing time. I have a feeling that if he catches fire, he will be a real gem.

I was thinking a Cameron Mills type but either will be fine.

In a side note:

Who is the best dunker of "your" time period as a UK fan ?
    I think Perry Stevenson is quickly moving up the ladder on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I was watching while trying to do some things around the house so my attention wasn't all there. But it seemed as though the defensive intensity wasn't there for the most part. FAU did hit some crazy shots with people all over them. You have to give FAU credit,they did play a very good game. The low turnovers for UK probably saved them. If they turn it over 20 times they probably lose this one. They also shot poorly from 3 point area. It was a win, so we'll take it and move on. One more,hopefully,easy one,then the real schedule kicks in with UL and the SEC.
    You are correct in that FAU hit some almost impossible shots on many possesions.
    Our 3- point shooting was atrocious. I really hope someone emerges as a third scorer besides Perry who gets a lot of his off rebounds/or good passing.

Not necessarily.

Yes,Pelphrey and Slone both went to Paintsville High School.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Yay!

Or it could be Mark Coury 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Or it could be Mark Coury 2.0.
    Nope. Slone is a sharpshooter. Coury really never served a purpose.

I've always been impressed with the true Kentucky boys who fight and claw their way into the lineup. Tubby seemed to suppress them (outside of Ravi Moss), but Pitino and Gillispie both made them integral to our success.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    In a side note:

Who is the best dunker of "your" time period as a UK fan ?
    I think Perry Stevenson is quickly moving up the ladder on that one.
    Hands down, Jeff Sheppard.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Turn Off Ads?