Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Of All-Time??? Ever heard of Dan Issel, Frank Ramsey, Cliff Hagan, Kenny Walker, Sam Bowie or Jack Givens... All better rebounders than Hayes or Prickett...Although I love Hayes, he's one of my top 3 favorite all time cats..
    Well we had been talking about "our" era. Though I do barely remember Bowie and Walker.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Best Dunker: Dirk Minnifield. No question on the hops, just the head.

Best Shooter: Louie Dampier. Leading scorer in the ABA history. If there were a 3 point line, he'd likely have scored 30 per game in college. At 55% to boot.

As to Kentucky this year-- they go as far as their lead guard takes them and no further. Liggins looked like the answer for a short while, but has regressed. Porter is a poor choice for anything other than back-up minutes and Slone is only an Appalachian daydream wrapped in red hair and floor burns. Galloway is the same player Derrick Jasper was for two seasons before becoming a Runiun' Rebel. If BillyG can find 40 consistent minutes out of the quartet each game, the Cats may go Elite Eight.

That's not likely.

I expect a 32 or Sweet 16 this season and another struggle to find a point guard next season.
    Louie Dampier probably was the best pure shooter ever at UK. I didn't see him play while he was at UK but I did in the ABA and NBA. He had unreal range! I also saw him play quite a few years after he retired from the pros. He played on a Maraton Oil team that barnstormed around the state of Kentucky that would play against the UK seniors after each season. He could still shoot it in the mid 80's. He was playing against the Kenny Walker/Roger Harden seniors about 1985 and was drilling shots from just across mid court. He and Walker a real shoot out the game I saw. I'm sure both had over 40 points. Most of Dampier's was from 30+ feet.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Of All-Time??? Ever heard of Dan Issel, Frank Ramsey, Cliff Hagan, Kenny Walker, Sam Bowie or Jack Givens... All better rebounders than Hayes or Prickett...Although I love Hayes, he's one of my top 3 favorite all time cats..
    One of the best rebounders I saw was Winston Bennett before he hurt his knee. He was as tough as anyone inside and had a real knack for coming up with a lot of loose rebounds. He was a great compliment to Kenny Walker for a couple of seasons.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Well we had been talking about "our" era. Though I do barely remember Bowie and Walker.
    My bad... I should have at least read the previous posts before commenting... lol

Although, those guys didn't play in my era either, I am 24... But really appreciate not only Kentucky in my era, but the great history of the big blue...

I do agree that Chuck Hayes was a great rebounder in our era and you have to mention Magloire in that category... Gerald Fitch was without a doubt the best rebounding guard we have had... I can't think of anyone better, I know Rondo was good, but Fitch was an animal on the boards...

Forgot to mention Nazr Mohammed. He was awesome.

Little Brother U goes down again, this time to UNLV at Freedom Hall.

Pitino headed straight for the locker room after the game, didn't even go to shake hands with Lon Kruger and the Runnin Jaspers, err I mean Rebels.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Pitino headed straight for the locker room after the game, didn't even go to shake hands with Lon Kruger and the Runnin Jaspers, err I mean Rebels.
    That was a sad display of sportsmanship by Pitino

At this point, Patterson will OWN Samardo... However, I'm still a little bit worried about Earl Clark...

This is a bad basketball team right now. No one can shoot from the outside, Samuels struggles against double teams, and Clark doesn't get the ball enough. The only thing that makes me feel better against UK is their refusal to play zone combined with their experience against the zone. The best defense against the Cards is to pack it in with a zone and dare them to shoot from outside.

Regardless, this is looking like an awful coaching job by Pitino. He was beginning to take some heat last year before the Cards made a nice run in February and March. If this team finishes with double digit losses followed by a mass exodus to the pros, it could get ugly.
    Last edited by joshnky; 01-01-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The best defense against the Cards is to pack it in with a zone and dare them to shoot from outside.
    Ala Western Kentucky.

I feel better about Kentucky's chances after seeing Minnesota and UNLV pull it off, but I think the fact the game is at Freedom Hall and Louisville will be looking to rebound after last night will be too much.

One thing about it, I remember reading where Pitino made the comment earlier in the season that he didn't think Gillispie was much of a coach because he scheduled VMI as the first game. If it had been Pitino, he would have scheduled VMI later.

If I were Kentucky's players and were going to fight it out for Coach, that would serve as motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One thing about it, I remember reading where Pitino made the comment earlier in the season that he didn't think Gillispie was much of a coach because he scheduled VMI as the first game. If it had been Pitino, he would have scheduled VMI later.
    I sure don't remember that. I can't imagine Pitino giving a rival coach that much ammunition.

This is a bad basketball team right now. No one can shoot from the outside, Samuels struggles against double teams, and Clark doesn't get the ball enough. The only thing that makes me feel better against UK is their refusal to play zone combined with their experience against the zone. The best defense against the Cards is to pack it in with a zone and dare them to shoot from outside.

Regardless, this is looking like an awful coaching job by Pitino. He was beginning to take some heat last year before the Cards made a nice run in February and March. If this team finishes with double digit losses followed by a mass exodus to the pros, it could get ugly.
    What coach are they going to get that is better than Pitino? That seems really short-sighted to me.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

as if ul is going to get a better coach than pitino . that would be hilarious if they fired him

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What coach are they going to get that is better than Pitino? That seems really short-sighted to me.
    They won't fire him but it is the same thing Gillispie faced earlier in the year. Coaches at UofL and UK are expected to exceed expectations not under achieve.

I feel better about Kentucky's chances after seeing Minnesota and UNLV pull it off, but I think the fact the game is at Freedom Hall and Louisville will be looking to rebound after last night will be too much.
    I'll bet that Jodie Meeks is happy about the game being played in Freedom Hall.

He is coming back to the arena fresh off his 46 point performance in the building. Meeks, as well as several other UK jump shooters over the years, have commented that Freedom Hall has superior rims than Rupp Arena.

Turn Off Ads?