Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Merged: UK Basketball

Re: Merged: UK Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Hey UK fans. Let's hear it for the Tenn Vols who won the SEC East tonight with a clutch win over SC. Like UK, UT is also going through a rebuilding year but to their credit they appear to be peaking at the right time. It does appear that UK matches up well against them and if I was a UK fan I'd want to draw Tenn in the SEC tournament.
    Winning the SEC East this year is kinda like winnin the Big 10 in football... used to mean more than it does now. Then again, when you ain't used to winning em... guess you take what you can get.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Why? So we can hear some more blind faith ramblings about the greatness of bg? What is Maggard's resume anyway? He refers to himself as a professional basketball scout. That made me curious.
    If you read my post earlier about "internet sources", Marc Maggard was who I was primarily referring to.

I like TBK and the people who post there. I wouldn't compare it to Redszone by any stretch (if I had kids, I wouldn't let them read some of the stuff on there), but I think you could make the point that these "insiders" are proof of how Gillispie has no control of the locker room.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If you read my post earlier about "internet sources", Marc Maggard was who I was primarily referring to.

I like TBK and the people who post there. I wouldn't compare it to Redszone by any stretch (if I had kids, I wouldn't let them read some of the stuff on there), but I think you could make the point that these "insiders" are proof of how Gillispie has no control of the locker room.
    Oh please, WV, that's lame. There's not a program in the nation in football or basketball that's popular like Kentucky who are without more than their fair share of "Insiders" who talk about what is going on inside the program.

I'll tell you one thing... An Insider posting a tidbit about what is going on with the team does a hell of a lot less harm to the program than a jack-donkey blogger putting up polls asking if a coach should be fired in his 2nd season.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If you read my post earlier about "internet sources", Marc Maggard was who I was primarily referring to. I like TBK and the people who post there. I wouldn't compare it to Redszone by any stretch (if I had kids, I wouldn't let them read some of the stuff on there), but I think you could make the point that these "insiders" are proof of how Gillispie has no control of the locker room.
    And journalisticly speaking, when you profit from those kind of sources, you become beholden to them. Tick them off (by bad mouthing their sources/friends/bosses), you lose them as sources. It becomes a dangerous game to be "fair and balanced."

And journalisticly speaking, when you profit from those kind of sources, you become beholden to them. Tick them off (by bad mouthing their sources/friends/bosses), you lose them as sources. It becomes a dangerous game to be "fair and balanced."
    TBK is unabashedly pro-UK. If Insider Info is going to hurt the program it isn't posted. The site's not interested in journalistic integrity in some sort of overarching sense of the term. It's not the Washington Post. There's a reason they allow constructive criticism but not bashing and that's why they get my patronage.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-06-2009 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I'll tell you one thing... An Insider posting a tidbit about what is going on with the team does a hell of a lot less harm to the program than a jack-donkey blogger putting up polls asking if a coach should be fired in his 2nd season.
    Depends on the tidbit. If some moron posts something most folks know it is from a moron. But when you annoint someone an "insider"... And sometime the 1st leads to the 2nd in your scenario.

Depends on the tidbit. If some moron posts something most folks know it is from a moron. But when you annoint someone an "insider"... And sometime the 1st leads to the 2nd in your scenario.
    Agreed, appointing folks as Insiders willy nilly would be a sure-fire recipe for disaster.

TBK is unabashedly pro-UK. If Insider Info is going to hurt the program it isn't posted. The site's not interested in journalistic integrity in some sort of overarching sense of the term. It's not the Washington Post. There's a reason they allow constructive criticism but not bashing and that's why they get my patronage.
    People do pay (a decent amount) for subscriptions there, right? They do try to "scoop" ahead of the traditional media, right? Perhaps a bit of journalistic integrity would help provide a truer picture of the program. Otherwise, you get an echo chamber.

People do pay (a decent amount) for subscriptions there, right? They do try to "scoop" ahead of the traditional media, right? Perhaps a bit of journalistic integrity would help provide a truer picture of the program. Otherwise, you get an echo chamber.
    I don't think getting "scoops" is the goal at all. It's more about cutting through all the crap you read at sites like TCP and giving folks an accurate view of what's going on with the program. Like I said, they allow criticism just fine, but they're not going to release info just to get a scoop.

I don't think getting "scoops" is the goal at all. It's more about cutting through all the crap you read at sites like TCP and giving folks an accurate view of what's going on with the program. Like I said, they allow criticism just fine, but they're not going to release info just to get a scoop.
    Why turn it in to a money maker then? They lose their scoops, they lose their subscribers. The insiders can use the site as a mouthpiece for whatever points they wish to advance.

Why turn it in to a money maker then? They lose their scoops, they lose their subscribers. The insiders can use the site as a mouthpiece for whatever points they wish to advance.
    MM's explanation is that the fees exist to help defray the cost of running and hosting the site (no pledge drives like on RZ, haha) as well as allow MM to justify taking time away from his other businesses to run the site. He does podcasts, blogs etc. etc. ... I bet he spends 6 hours a day on there easy.

Believe me though, I understand your point. I just understand his as well. I think it's well worth the $10/month and I really love the goal of the site and it's stance towards how posters should "talk" about the school and players that they supposedly love. The vitriol on sites like KSR and TCP absolutely turns my stomach.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-06-2009 at 01:12 AM.

MM's explanation is that the fees exist to help defray the cost of running and hosting the site as well as allow MM to justify taking time away from his other businesses to run the site. He does podcasts, blogs etc. etc. ... I bet he spends 6 hours a day on there easy. Believe me though, I understand your point. I just understand his as well. I think it's well worth the $10/month and I really love the goal of the site and it's stance towards how posters should "talk" about the school and players that they supposedly love. The vitriol on sites like KSR and TCP absolutely turns my stomach.
    I can understand why they would charge. It just changes the entire dynamic, and the site's responsibilities. Imagine if rz was run the way tbk is. We would have all been kicked off a long time ago... unless we were paying members.

I can understand why they would charge. It just changes the entire dynamic, and the site's responsibilities. Imagine if rz was run the way tbk is. We would have all been kicked off a long time ago... unless we were paying members.
    How do you figure that? The "premium" board is only a part of the entire board ... plenty of folks post only on the main "Free" board.

TCP has Rupp's Raftards and House of Retards (pay portion).

Interesting thread somewhat related to our discussion, dab: http://www.truebluekentucky.com/inde...-replying.html

Turn Off Ads?