Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Wait for him to get hurt?
    That's a huge sunk cost for 1 position.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Re: Reds one of four teams pursuing Khalil Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    That's a huge sunk cost for 1 position.
    Haha yeah well I doubt anybody else wants the contract, even if RZ really wants them to...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

The only way Gonzalez is leaving is if Walt cuts him. I can't imagine any team giving up anything of value for him, even if he has a healthy spring training.

I guess I'll take him if the padres are giving him away for box tops. The reds are not in a position where giving away real or future talent for a bunch of one year rentals is a good thing.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I guess I'll take him if the padres are giving him away for box tops. The reds are not in a position where giving away real or future talent for a bunch of one year rentals is a good thing.
    they will be. greene costs $5M for 2009 and is coming off a poor year. if the Pads are lucky they'll get a non prospect and get a team to take on the entire salary

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    The reds are not in a position where giving away real or future talent for a bunch of one year rentals is a good thing.
    but a lot of folks around here sure would like the front office to do that.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    but a lot of folks around here sure would like the front office to do that.
    I don't know. I think a lot of folks have the false hope that Holliday would be willing to sign an extension if he were to get traded to Cincinnati. Those posters don't view him as a one year rental. Although the odds of him giving up his shot at the open market are slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Sounds like he's really burned bridges with SD. I'd start trade talks by offering them Gonzo for him.
    That would be ideal. The salaries are close to a wash. But have one year left. SD gets rid of a headache, the Reds get a potential talent upgrade.

The problem I see though, is that SD wants to shed salary. I think they'd probably prefer to give up Greene for nothing than take on AGon.

Is it worthwhile for the Reds if they could get Greene for a couple of B prospects with the Padres not paying any of Greene's salary? I'm not so sure.
    It makes sense if Walt figures Greene is a good rebound candidate and if Walt would like to keep the guy around longterm. But for a one year rental, with AGon still hanging around in a meaningless year? Makes no sense.

I really think that AGon is immovable, which further complicates things.

Still, I don't see Greene as a headcase. I think the Padres poisoned the well. I think he's a great candidate for a change of scenery. Remember Edmunds was considered a problem child before he arrived in StL. Worth a roll of the dice if the Reds would be willing to pony up for the guy after this year (if he bounced back). It's not as if the Reds have a good longterm SS alternative.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Report on NESN or FSNE was that the Sox have offered Coco Crisp for Khalil.
    I have no link
    That pretty much trumps any offer us fans would like to make, IMO.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That pretty much trumps any offer us fans would like to make, IMO.
    i believe this rumor was false. San Diego wants to shed salary. they don't want Crisp (or Gonzo).

Then how about:

-- Cincinnati dealing B prospect a Sam LeCure type for Greene, then sending AGon (along with Freel) and a couple better prospects to Detroit for Ordonez.

San Diego grabs salary relief, as does Detroit, while the Reds add talent essentially for free.

The prospects would come from a list below the Top 15 or so.
    At least one starting arm-- I'm thinking a Maloney and/ or a Ramirez--
    One near-ready bullpen arm-- perhaps a Fisher or a Roenicke
    And one position player-- maybe Cozart or even Janish could fit the bill.

Helps all three teams, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

then sending AGon (along with Freel)
    Players coming off serious injuries have zero value until they prove they're healthy and able to play well.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Players coming off serious injuries have zero value until they prove they're healthy and able to play well.
    then just say we'll take Mags but you have to pay 25% of his salary.
    imo $48M for 3 years of Mags is too much and hurts his trade value very much. if detroit thinks they can move him/his salary and get good prospects they are mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Then how about:

-- Cincinnati dealing B prospect a Sam LeCure type for Greene, then sending AGon (along with Freel) and a couple better prospects to Detroit for Ordonez.

San Diego grabs salary relief, as does Detroit, while the Reds add talent essentially for free.

The prospects would come from a list below the Top 15 or so.
    At least one starting arm-- I'm thinking a Maloney and/ or a Ramirez--
    One near-ready bullpen arm-- perhaps a Fisher or a Roenicke
    And one position player-- maybe Cozart or even Janish could fit the bill.

Helps all three teams, IMO.
    I've taken Ordonez early in my last few fantasy drafts. But lets face some facts:
    1. He turns 35 in January. So he's not a long term solution.
    2. He's been durable over the last three seasons, but left the country prior to that for surgery that he couldn't get done in the U.S. While it has been a success, his risk for injury coupled with his age makes him a dubious pickup.
    3. His D last year wasn't very good. Of his 146 games played, 12 games he was a DH or PH.
    4. Offensively the last 5 years he's had exactly one season better than Adam Dunn who would only cost the Reds money and not talent. Yes, I am beating the Dunn drum again.
    Ordonez is not what the Reds need IMO.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Boras is saying the Tigers won't trade Ordonez.

Turn Off Ads?