Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds one of four teams pursuing Khalil Greene

Re: Reds one of four teams pursuing Khalil Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    they will be. greene costs $5M for 2009 and is coming off a poor year. if the Pads are lucky they'll get a non prospect and get a team to take on the entire salary
    I had not seen your sig before.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    1. get a young shortstop
    2. get a stopgap left fielder
    3. sign Affeldt
    4. don't trade away our best prospects
    5. be patient. starting in 2010 the Reds will win a lot
    Do you take him at that price with the notion that if he revives his career at GAB that he may sign a multiyear deal at the end of 09?

That would take care of #1 on your list. It would certainly be buying low. Greene is likely to put up an OPS+ of 97 or so. If you like Brandon Phillips, you're going to love Khalil Greene.

Yeah. I think that give you the chance of locking up your middle infield without really giving anything away. You're free to bulk up the bullpen and pursue a left fielder looking for a Carlos Pena type player and a catcher.

I could live with that.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I had not seen your sig before.

Do you take him at that price with the notion that if he revives his career at GAB that he may sign a multiyear deal at the end of 09?

That would take care of #1 on your list. It would certainly be buying low. Greene is likely to put up an OPS+ of 97 or so. If you like Brandon Phillips, you're going to love Khalil Greene.

Yeah. I think that give you the chance of locking up your middle infield without really giving anything away. You're free to bulk up the bullpen and pursue a left fielder looking for a Carlos Pena type player and a catcher.

I could live with that.
    I would LOVE for Bobby C to open the pocket book. Sign Lowe. Trade for and sign a huge bat like Holliday. Trade for and sign Beltre. However i am trying to be a bit realistic.

I think Furcal is risky. Hardy may play better at 2B than SS.
    Tulowitzki & Holliday for Phillips, Bailey & Stubbs is just a fantasy of mine.
    So i think Greene and M.Izturis are the most reasonable targets for a SS. Izturis is preferable - younger/cheaper - but Greene is a fine choice.
    The one problem with Greene is that he is just a one year solution.
    I would be open to signing him to a longer deal if he revives his career here.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Boras is saying the Tigers won't trade Ordonez.
    Which is reverse physcology on the part of the Tigers F.O. they would be down right idiotic not to be looking to deal him. But I hope it's true because I wouldn't want them to take him at this point. Once he gets his 400+ PA's next year he's gauranteed the rest of his gaudy contract which is bad news for anyone. Good healthy productive years from a 37 & 38 year old with a previous history of injury who is gauranteed to make millions for doing nothing? No thanks, that just screams Mets/Yanks come forth and make an offer.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Which is reverse physcology on the part of the Tigers F.O. they would be down right idiotic not to be looking to deal him. But I hope it's true because I wouldn't want them to take him at this point. Once he gets his 400+ PA's next year he's gauranteed the rest of his gaudy contract which is bad news for anyone. Good healthy productive years from a 37 & 38 year old with a previous history of injury who is gauranteed to make millions for doing nothing? No thanks, that just screams Mets/Yanks come forth and make an offer.
    Maggs has a limited no-trade. That's the main reason Boras is claiming he'll stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Maggs has a limited no-trade. That's the main reason Boras is claiming he'll stay put.
    That's even better, I can't imagine he'd ok a deal here. So that's good news for us. Scratch Mags off the list people.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

That's even better, I can't imagine he'd ok a deal here. So that's good news for us. Scratch Mags off the list people.
    I think that we are going to be doing a lot of scratching.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I think that we are going to be doing a lot of scratching.
    That's why I had some pretty conservative signings when I started the WWYD thread. The big options are fun to think about but ultimately we will be fairly lucky to p/u Izturis or Greene, Rivera or Blake, Wolf, Beimel and Bard. But if we did I think with some growth from our youth we have a pretty solid season and what harm does it do to sign those guys for a season or 2 in talent or money? None IMO.

--Woody Hayes

That's why I had some pretty conservative signings when I started the WWYD thread. The big options are fun to think about but ultimately we will be fairly lucky to p/u Izturis or Greene, Rivera or Blake, Wolf, Beimel and Bard. But if we did I think with some growth from our youth we have a pretty solid season and what harm does it do to sign those guys for a season or 2 in talent or money? None IMO.
    I can't seriously disagree with you in any of your posts, Wolf and Bard are starting to look like major upgrade to me too, very reasonable.

I would be ecstatic with an off season in which the Reds traded for Greene and signed Lowe as a FA. Greene would allow the Reds to move Edwin to the OF, move Gonzo over to 3B and have a very good defensive infield. The outfield wouldn't be too shabby with Dickerson, Bruce and maybe Edwin.

The one thing I don't really want to see happen is a big blockbuster trade. I think the Reds are at the point where they are building a very competitive club and I would hate to see that wasted by trading your younger, more talented players.

Here's one idea on what it may take to land Greene:

I exchanged e-mails with someone in San Diego who mentions that the Padres are seeking "advanced prospects or 0-3 guys at virtually any position save first base or third base" in exchange for shortstop Khalil Greene. Pitching is No. 1 on that list.

And "0-3 guys" doesn't include Daniel Cabrera after three starts. We're talking service time.
    http://masnsports.com/2008/11/talkin-baseball.html

So they are looking for either pitching prospects close to the major leagues, or young pitchers with up to 3 years of major league experience.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 11-05-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Here's one idea on what it may take to land Greene:

http://masnsports.com/2008/11/talkin-baseball.html

So they are looking for either pitching prospects close to the major leagues, or young pitchers with up to 3 years of major league experience.
    Or C, 2B, SS, OF. I'd probably deal them Valaika if they took Freel with him.

--Woody Hayes

Or C, 2B, SS, OF. I'd probably deal them Valaika if they took Freel with him.
    Pitching was listed as No.1, but they are looking for young positional prospects as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I guess I'll take him if the padres are giving him away for box tops. The reds are not in a position where giving away real or future talent for a bunch of one year rentals is a good thing.
    Except a one year rental of a SS protects the long term by not exposing Volquez and Cueto to another season of a little league team behind them on defense. Those guys are going to get burned up if the Reds don't do something. Getting Griffey and Ross off the team helps immensely, and, as much as I liked Dunn, the team probably ends up better off defensively out there. To complete the transformation from laughing stock to acceptable, somebody who can play SS is needed (an upgrade at 3B is needed as well, but upgrading SS is more important and that coupled with the OF should go a long way in making this defense middle of the pack). Gonzalez is not an answer IMO. He had a declining range and a history of missing a lot of time before the career threatening leg injury. Keppinger just is not acceptable defensively at any position, and, given his 660ish OPS, should be on the bubble as far as a roster spot goes IMO. I don't think Kepp going north with the Reds in 2009 should be a given at this point.

If the Padres view Kepp as a decent 2B or utility option, I happily take their problem off their hands by swapping a cheap, good citizen like Kepp for a pricey guy that the team is at odds with like Greene. For the sake of the staff, I'd gladly add a second tier starter like Maloney or Lecure to get the deal done. The Reds lose little, the team becomes more watchable, the defense doesn't put the arms through it again and the Padres save a lot of cash. Green had a horrible 2008, is very pricey and is at odds with the Padres. It shouldn't take a lot to get him and its not a win now move, but a move to protect the future of the guys who are considered long term assets.

If some team is willing to offer more, then move on, but getting a SS is job number 1 for this team IMO and it directly impacts the long term future of the guys we do consider important for when contention may roll back around again. If acquiring a guy like Greene would develop into something beyond a one year rental, that is simply a bonus.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-06-2008 at 05:32 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Concerning Greene, though he only has 1 year left on his current contract ($6.5M), unless Cots hasn't updated service time data, the Padres still control him for 2 years. I think that will be a factor in what they ask for him.

EDIT: Actually a quick check of the Padres media guide verifies what a look at the back of Greene's baseball card would suggest-he does have 5 yrs service time so the Padres are indeed selling one year of Greene's services. So FYI, Cots hasn't updates service time data yet (probably won't until sometime in the winter i.e. maybe December?) so be careful of being lazy like my original entry in this post.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-06-2008 at 05:24 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No thanks. The last two years his OBP is below .300 despite his power. A younger Gonzo. No.

Um do you realize where half of his games are played or has that fact not come into your evaluation?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Turn Off Ads?