Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds shopping for 3B,CF and a C

Reds shopping for 3B,CF and a C

Which Reds minors leaguers would you trade for Colorado's center fielder Willy Taveras, catcher Yorvit Torrealba and third baseman Garrett Atkins?

The Rockies aren't done dealing.

One day after agreeing to send left fielder Matt Holliday to the A's, the team continues to discuss trades with rival clubs, with the Reds emerging as one potential partner.

The Rockies also could spin two of the three players they are set to acquire for Holliday — closer Huston Street and outfielder Carlos Gonzalez — to other teams.

The Reds, major-league sources say, are interested in at least three Rockies — center fielder Willy Taveras, catcher Yorvit Torrealba and third baseman Garrett Atkins.

A trade of both Taveras and Torrealba to the Reds is one possibility, sources say. The extent of the Reds' pursuit of Atkins — a potential target for several clubs, including the Angels and Twins — is less clear.

As for other potential deals, the Indians are one of several clubs that like Street, while the Nationals are among the teams interested in Gonzalez.

The Rockies, however, could choose to keep Street, who is only 25 and under control for two more seasons.

Gonzalez, considered the wild card in the Holliday trade, also could figure in the Rockies' long-term plans. Some rival executives love him; others aren't as convinced that he will develop into a star.

Left-hander Greg Smith, the other player in the Holliday deal, figures to stick with the Rockies as a back-of-the-rotation starter. He had a 4.16 ERA in 32 starts last season as a rookie in the American League.

The Reds, who need a center fielder to replace departing free agent Corey Patterson, have definite interest in Taveras. They also need catching help — Paul Bako and Javier Valentin are free agents, and the team traded David Ross to the Red Sox last season.

Taveras, who turns 27 next month, led the majors with 68 stolen bases last season but also finished with the lowest slugging percentage among hitters who qualified for the batting title. He had just 18 extra-base hits in 538 plate apperances while batting .251 with a .308 on-base percentage.

Torrealba, 30, was the Rockies' Opening Day catcher, but gradually lost playing time to Chris Iannetta, then had his season end on Aug. 25 due to a torn ligament in his left knee. He batted .242 with a .293 on-base percentage and six home runs in 261 plate appearances.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds shopping for 3B,CF and a C

I wouldn't trade anything for Willy Taveras. He provides you no upgrade over what you have.

Atkins is just as big of a butcher as Edwin for the most part.

I agree with Taveras. I'm not a big Atkins fan either. I think I'd stick with EE for now. Catcher Yorvit Torrealba could be a good pick up for the Reds as long as they don't have to give up to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman15 View Post
    while the Nationals are among the teams interested in Gonzalez.
    Seriously?

Can I choose to get none of these guys?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I think this discussion belongs on the big league boards since any potential trade involves MLBers.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Bip this thread was posted on ORG!! You made it buddy. How does it feel?

I have to agree with just about everyone on this board: all three of those guys have not place on the Cincinnati roster. Blech.

I really, really hope that this report is a joke, or a miscalculation. None of those three would improve the team whatsoever. What does the front office see in Chris Dickerson that we aren't seeing? I feel like the guy earned a shot at CF, yet we get rumors that Willie Taveras is on the radar?

Torrealba would possibly be a slight upgrade over Hanigan - possibly - but factor in that he's aging and prone to injuries, among other things...let's just say I'd be fine with Hanigan getting the starts.

The team should be looking for depth at 3B, and catcher, and CF (though I feel like Freel and Dickerson would service there), but they should look for either young players or proven talent. Players that will either make a notable difference or will blossom with the rest of the younger guys. Not more crapola like the three mentioned here.

i actually like this deal if we could get them for cheap, but if they demand a whole lot then hell NO, Maybe a Package of Maloney and Frazier but thats it. Then Sign Furcal, and another pitcher

Furcal
    Phillips
    Votto
    Atkins
    Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Tavarez
    Hanigan

Id be willing to bet that Frazier would be better defensively and offensively than Atkins at this moment.

Anybody have the stats of what those 3 guys did in Great American Ballpark?

Found it
    Taveras .500 (4 for 8)
    Atkins .462 (6 for 13)
    Torrealba .750 (3 for 4)
    Last edited by sammonator; 11-11-2008 at 06:16 PM.

this is how atkins has done at Great American in 13 games 52 abs .327 .379 .538 .918

yeah GABP is a hitters park so Atkins numbers will pretty much stay the same,

maybe he is a rh hitter so that could help. this is how he's done in his career:
    vs. Left 296 games 547 abs .309 .389 .501 .890
    vs. Right 639 games 1887 abs .295 .352 .466 .818

Turn Off Ads?