Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rodney for Cordero?

Rodney for Cordero?

From mlbtraderumors.

The Tigers are dangling setup man Fernando Rodney, hoping to acquire a better closer. Jon Paul Morosi believes the Tigers might aim for a reliever they control for a year or two, as their in-house options should be ready by 2010.

Rodney got hit hard when he first came back from the DL, but was very good after that. He had control problems, but that could be a result of coming back mid season from an injury. I think between him and Burton, either one would be just as good as Cordero as a closer and a much better value. Switching leagues could definitely help him.

There would have to be more to the deal to make up the difference in salary, but it is worth looking into IMHO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rodney for Cordero?

Cordero has a no-trade clause, doesn't he?

His incentive to wave it would be that the Tigers are probably closer to contending again than we are.

But weird considering there are several articles out there talking about the Tigers cutting payroll and considering unloading Ordonez.

I wish Freel was healthy enough to be traded. Here's what I wish could happen with Detroit:

Detroit sends Ordonez and Rodney to the Reds. Reds send them Cordero, Freel, Hopper, Darryl Thompson, and one other marginal prospect in return. Tigers get the closer they desire, a couple of outfield major leaguers, a topnotch starting pitching prospect and one other prospect we're willing to part with. Reds get LFer that can hit for average and power, and hopefully a decent bullpen guy.

Rodney's e.r.a. and WHIP have been declining, but amazingly, his hits to innings pitched is still very good, and opponents are still batting less than .240 against him. It's his walks that are hurting him. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...qUxiPQT.uFCLcF

Then the Reds can maybe dabble in the free agent market for other setup men/closers.

CF Dickerson
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    LF Ordonez
    1B Votto
    3B EE
    SS Gonzalez
    C Hanigan

SP Harang
    SP Volquez
    SP Cueto
    SP Arroyo
    SP Owings/Ramirez/Bailey/Lowe (FA signing)

RP Burton
    RP Bray
    RP Rodney
    RP Affeldt
    RP Weathers
    RP Lincoln
    RP Roenicke/Herrera/or Bailey

I'd love to be able to trade Cordero, but the closer market is flooded. For instance, if you're the Tigers, would you rather trade for Cordero or Kelly Gregg?

Plus, what about Cordero's no-trade clause?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I'd love to be able to trade Cordero, but the closer market is flooded. For instance, if you're the Tigers, would you rather trade for Cordero or Kelly Gregg?

Plus, what about Cordero's no-trade clause?
    First, no-trade clauses were written to be waived. They are just a negotiating tool used to get something for the player in case they are traded. If the Tigers want Cordero, they just have to give him a bonus of some sort to get him. It makes it harder to trade, but not impossible. For instance, Manny had a no-trade clause last year.

I don't see the closer market as flooded. Flooded to me means that there are more available closers than there are teams in need of one. Here is my list of available solid closers.

K-Rod
    Wood
    Fuentes
    Gregg
    Hoffman

Lyon and Torres could be on this list, but I don't see them being any team's first, second or even third choice for closer. They are on the same list as Gagne, Isringhausen and Guardado, as has beens who might be worth a gamble.

And here is my list of teams in need of a closer.

Rays
    Braves
    Indians
    Tigers
    Cubs
    Brewers
    Cards
    Angels
    Rangers
    D-Backs
    Rockies
    Padres

I think you could possible add the Red Sox, since they would love to move Papelbon to the rotation, but that is not a need for them. The Braves might be happy with Gonzalez, but he is coming off an big injury.

If you assume Wood will re-sign with the Cubs and Hoffman with the Padres, you have three true closers left and 10 teams in need. Seems like a perfect time to throw Cordero in the mix and see what offers he brings.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I was one who was against the Cordero signing, not due the fact that it was Cordero, but for the length and size of the contract. That stated, is there something to be said about having Cordero on the team with Volquez and Cueto? He seemed to really be a mentor to both young guys. Is it possible Cordero's value extends beyond his on-field performance for this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I was one who was against the Cordero signing, not due the fact that it was Cordero, but for the length and size of the contract. That stated, is there something to be said about having Cordero on the team with Volquez and Cueto? He seemed to really be a mentor to both young guys. Is it possible Cordero's value extends beyond his on-field performance for this team?

Yes! I agree completely. I also think that Cordero is much more valuable as our closer than many seem to think. When the Reds are in more ball games this year and we have him coming in in the 9th..it will be more obvious than last year.

keep cordero for another two years and look to deal him with one year left. it's easier to deal expensive players when there's only a year or less left. detroit will be one of the many teams interested in trever hoffman.

In what world is this a good trade?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    In what world is this a good trade?
    The title of this thread is not a good trade for the Reds, you are correct. However, it was just a title, and I qualified it with this line at the end:

"There would have to be more to the deal to make up the difference in salary, but it is worth looking into IMHO."

Maybe we could send Cordero back to Milwaukee. They did offer him $44 million, I think, so they were prepared to pay his salary, or nearly so.

Why does everyone want to get rid our closer?

If we are going to win, we need a solid closer

Turn Off Ads?