Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Michael Crichton - RIP

Michael Crichton - RIP

The family of Michael Crichton, the million-selling author of such historic and prehistoric science fantasies as "Jurassic Park,""Timeline" and "The Andromeda Strain," says the author has died in Los Angeles.

Crichton died Tuesday at age 66. He had been privately battling cancer, his family said.

"Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand," his family said in a statement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Michael Crichton - RIP

Great, great author. Jurassic Park is one of my favorite books.

High five!

I think one of his best books flew under the radar. It's called "Travels" and it's a collection of stories about his world travels. An excellent "bathroom book" if you will.

RIP

Damn, Cricton was one of my favorite authors. His novels were always very suspenseful and full of excitement. Hopefully another author can step up and fill the gap.

It's a shame Hollywood butchered so many of his books, Jurassick Park included. Good movie no doubt, but great book.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Just heard this on the way home from work, this sucks. I really enjoyed his books and I enjoyed his later books even more than I liked his early work. State of Fear and Prey were my favorites, I liked Next a lot also.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's a shame Hollywood butchered so many of his books, Jurassick Park included. Good movie no doubt, but great book.
    Very true, though the original Andonima Strain followed the book almost word for word (save changing the sex of one character).
    May he rest in peace.

Sorry to hear of this. I really liked his work. I guess I liked Rising Sun best.

He is supposed to have his last book released 5/4/09. No title released as yet.

Rem

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Airframe, for whatever reason, is my favorite Crichton book.

Sphere is probably my next favorite, followed by Congo, Eaters of the Dead, Disclosure and Rising Sun (in that order).

While I enjoyed the Jurassic Park books, they are my least favorite Crichton works.

RIP MC

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Just heard this on the way home from work, this sucks. I really enjoyed his books and I enjoyed his later books even more than I liked his early work. State of Fear and Prey were my favorites, I liked Next a lot also.
    State of Fear was great, a must read in light of certain topics discussed in it, which I won't go into on here.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Wow. I didn't know he had been battling cancer. My prayers go out to his family.

I read Andromeda Strain YEARS ago and his last book I read was State of Fear. SofF was a terrific read. Loved all the documentation he provided.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    ...and his last book I read was State of Fear. SofF was a terrific read. Loved all the documentation he provided.
    Darned inconvenient of him.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

He kind of got a little crazy towards the end, but I liked reading his stuff when I was a teenager. Sad to see him go, I didn't even realize he was sick.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm amazed that the TV series "ER," which he created, outlived him.

I also read the Andromeda book long ago. I liked the film, but the miniseries remake from earlier this year was ridiculous.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?