Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nick Masset

Nick Masset

Is this guy over looked as a 4th or 5th starter? He seems to be a guy who screams this is my role on a MLB team. I know many will show his productions etc over what historically is his career but the same can be said for Volquez.

Smile, fact is this show a player with even marginal talent the opportunity to make 6 million a year and trust me if it's within them they will pour every ounce of there soul to become the next Jamie Moyer etc that they can be. I believe in this guy and can see his upside as a 4 and no worse than a 5 SP. Thus wiggle room on open market to make deals.

Every damn MLB non Yankees, Redsox Angels and now Dodgers can take the gamble part out of the equation but I believe Masset can start for the Reds!
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nick Masset

Career era around 5.00....
    Nothin special about his K rate.
    He gives up home runs...

Yeah I guess the reds could slot him in as a starter and not be surprised.

On the other hand, he did have some success with his new team coming out of the pen. Since the reds have plenty of guys who can start (The 4 + Owings+ Bailey + Thompson + Rameriz + Maloney + Livingston) I don't see why they wouldn't send Masset to the pen and tell him he's got a job as long as he keeps getting guys out.

There is plenty of money in the bullpen and less of a chance of getting hurt. Jamie Moyer is the exception, not the rule.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

He's a groundball pitcher, which theoretically helps. I guess what I want to say is that I think he has a chance as long as Jeff "Range of a Dead Slug Running Through Molasses" Keppinger and Edwin "I Hope I Throw It in the Direction of First Base" Encarnacion aren't the left side of the starting infield.

But seriously, his numbers, even in the minor leagues, are underwhelming, and I'm surprised he's been given as much opportunity as he has. With that said, after watching him this year, it looks to me like he has come a long way over the past few years. He's one of those guys who is particularly hittable when he leaves the ball up in the zone, and he did that a lot less with the Reds than he did earlier in his career. If he can continue to improve, I don't think a fifth starter spot is out of the question at all.

My hope, though, is that someone with a higher ceiling such as Ramon Ramirez, Homer Bailey, Daryl Thompson, Matt Maloney, and/or Micah Owings steps up.

I see Masset as a long shot for the 5th role - if the reds need him then a whole line of guys failed to hold the job. OTOH, I do see him inked into a mid relief role and I feel pretty comfortable with him there. I think he can be reasonably effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I know many will show his productions etc over what historically is his career but the same can be said for Volquez.
    I don't know what statistics you are looking at, but Masset has neither Volquez's velocity nor his movement.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I like Masset in the 7th inning as a middle reliever. I think he is actually an asset there, (Masset the Asset. Ugh!) I think He and Fisher could hold down the middle innings quite well. If the team could re-sign Affeldt and put those three in front of Burton and Cordero, the pen would be fairly well set. A package of Bray and Roenicke could be quite attractive to some team looking to rebuild its bullpen with young cheap arms. Add Bailey to the mix and I think you could get quite an attractive player in return.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?