Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodgers make initial offer to Manny

Re: Dodgers make initial offer to Manny

I think that this is an opportunity for Walt and the Reds. While the bigger market teams are busy out bidding themselves on the Manny's, Sabathia's, Tex's, etc. the Reds should look one tier lower and make competitive offers to players that wouldn't superstars but would certainly improve the team. Milton Bradley and Juan Rivera come to mind. Make solid offers to them now before the big dogs start to scramble and overpay for guys because the top free agents are gone.

Also they need to explore trades that may not be sexy but would help the team. I really hope Walt is looking under every rock this offseason.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    $27 million for Manny.

$25 million for Sabbathia.

$6 million for Mark Ellis from a small-market team.

I've heard 4-years $75 million as a starting point for Sheets.

I've said before that salary expectation on RedZone are too low. When I saw rumors like these that are starting to get confirmed, that's when I knew the FA market was going to be bad this offseason.
    I completely agree that the Reds should stay away from any big name free agents. Besides Manny, there really isn't anyone I would want the team to spend big money on.

However, I saw a report from an LA TV station that said the offer to Manny was two years at $45M and an option for $27M. That is just two years at $22.5M, which is a lot less than $27M a year. Generally that means that if the offer includes more years, the yearly salary will go down or at most stay the same.
    Considering the CC and Sheets numbers are what the guys are asking for, not what was offered. I think it is too early to conclude that the market will be high this year. It still could be, but I still think with the economy looming, and so many free agent busts recently, that it could down year for salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Boras numerous times has acted in his own best interest instead of his clients. He might get you more money, but he destroys your good reputation.

A-Rod is a perfect example. If A-Rod simply had contract like Manny's in Boston, 7 years - $20M a year, instead of the absurd 10 year $25M, he would not be hated as he is now, in fact, he probably would be the most popular player. J.D. Drew can say the same thing. Alverez in Pitt can say the same thing, and Boras actually lost him money in his negotiation fiasco. Zito got a huge contract from a terrible team that won't compete until his career is over. The list is endless.

If all you care about is money, than Boras is fine. If you care about your reputation, how you look to kids, your place in baseball history, playing for a contender, then stay away from Boras.
    Good to see one person gets it. Well said.

Those are things I care about more than money.

I guess I don't have a big ego. I don't need to impress anyone. And I totally agree that ego-driven contracts are what lead to those players being hated by the fans. Fans want baseball to matter more than the money. Some players show that and others don't. I imagine when A-Rod strikes out, he's thinking, "who frickin' cares, I just made $100,000 for that at-bat!".
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I imagine when A-Rod strikes out, he's thinking, "who frickin' cares, I just made $100,000 for that at-bat!".
    Are you serious?
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Boras numerous times has acted in his own best interest instead of his clients. He might get you more money, but he destroys your good reputation.

If all you care about is money, than Boras is fine. If you care about your reputation, how you look to kids, your place in baseball history, playing for a contender, then stay away from Boras.
    i agree 100%. there are other agents available who can get you a big contract. it's not like the only players that have those contracts use boras. the players that produce will be rich whoever they have represent them. but teams deliberately avoid players that use boras. how does it help a player if as soon as a team knows who his agent is they decide they're not interested?

thanks to boras kevin millwood had a contract clause that actually would have penalized him if he had spent time on the DL. how is it good for either the player, agent, or the team if there's a chance a player won't be open about any health concerns cuz he could be penalized as a result?

one of the reasons alot of people don't like arod is cuz of boras and how he conducted his business.

what boras brings to the table is a mix of positives AND negatives and if i was a mlb player i'd rather have a guy that also has a good track record but that isn't so radioactive.

Randy Hendricks helped make players like Roger Clemens very rich but, while hendricks was criticised at times too, he's never had nearly as many negatives attached to his name as boras and was able to deliver top contracts for players while having a much much better reputation. it can be done.

scott boras is a smart sports agent and an egomaniac. when people think of the bad things about pro sports and how much players make they're just as likely, or more, to think of the name boras than sports agents in general.

mlb players don't NEED him if they want a top contract. arod fired him. kenny rogers fired him. neither of the last two #1 overall picks (david price & tim beckham) used him for their very first pro contracts. ....
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers' initial offer to Manny Ramirez includes a third-year team option that would make the deal worth a total of $60 million.

The newspaper reports that the option for 2011 would be worth $22.5 million, with a $7.5 million buyout, which along with $15 million in 2009 and $22.5 million in 2010 would guarantee Ramirez at least $45 million. Scott Boras said last week that the offer wasn't long enough and that isn't likely to change even if the Dodgers decide to guarantee the third season by making it a three-year, $60 million deal.
    Source: Los Angeles Times
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Turn Off Ads?