Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Penny is a free agent now..

Brad Penny is a free agent now..

Didn't see thus posted.. the dodgers didnt pick up his option.. think the Reds should take a look?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brad Penny is a free agent now..

I wouldn't invest too much for too long because of the inury factor, but I love Penny. If they think there's a decent chance he can get to a point where he can pitch for an exrended stretch and he's willing to sign for a decent number or incentive-laden deal, I'd do it. I'm pretty sure though that someone out there willing to offer more than I'd feel comfortable risking.

What is his health status?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I've been on the Brad Penny ship since his days in Florida. I was hoping that the Reds would of obtained him for Adam Dunn prior to last season when rumors were circling. Penny then went on to go 16-4 3.03 ERA 208+ Innings 135K's 9 HRs. Yes there is injury risks with him and he has only pitched 200 innings twice in 9 years but he is a power pitcher. Depth is never a bad thing. If healthy, add Penny to this already steller rotation and it just makes this rotation capable of competing with any staff in the division if not league.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    What is his health status?
    On and off the DL with shoulder problems all year.

If healthy, the Dodgers re-sign him and he's not a free agent. Maybe they're just trying to clear money to re-sign Manny and/or Lowe, but the fact that they declined his option makes me wonder if they think his health is too risky.

The Reds can't afford to have millions invested on the disabled list if they can avoid it at all, but I guess if the doctors check him out and approve it, then he might be a good risk.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    I've been on the Brad Penny ship since his days in Florida. I was hoping that the Reds would of obtained him for Adam Dunn prior to last season when rumors were circling. Penny then went on to go 16-4 3.03 ERA 208+ Innings 135K's 9 HRs. Yes there is injury risks with him and he has only pitched 200 innings twice in 9 years but he is a power pitcher. Depth is never a bad thing. If healthy, add Penny to this already steller rotation and it just makes this rotation capable of competing with any staff in the division if not league.

I've always been a big Penny fan too. But this isn't a move that the Reds should make at this time. This would be a great move to make if we had a team like prior to the 1999 season ( a team that had potential to contend).

This team has too many holes though. Even if Penny has a great year, we're still in the bottom half of the division (although I guess Penny could be traded at the deadline).
    I'd rather invest the money in a potential longterm solution.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I've always been a big Penny fan too. But this isn't a move that the Reds should make at this time. This would be a great move to make if we had a team like prior to the 1999 season ( a team that had potential to contend).

This team has too many holes though. Even if Penny has a great year, we're still in the bottom half of the division (although I guess Penny could be traded at the deadline).
    I'd rather invest the money in a potential longterm solution.
    I wasn't around here back then, so I don't know. Did people really think the Reds had a chance at winning 96 games in 1999? The year before the Reds were 75-87 (three games better than our 2008 record). Again, I wasn't around here back then but I can remember 1999 and I don't remember thinking that team had a chance at being that good. That team was so good because they received breakout seasons from youngsters like Sean Casey and Mike Cameron, and Eddie Taubensee had a career year, and Greg Vaughn provided power from the right side.

The starting pitching looked awful entering the season. It was Pete Harnisch and Denny Neagle and then a bunch of retreads like Steve Parris, Ron Villone, Jason Bere, and Steve Avery. They lucked out with careers years from Parris and Villone. Of course Juan Guzman was acquiring in a July trade. The bullpen was expected to be good with Graves, Sullivan, and Reyes leading the pack. Scott Williamson was a good prospect but I don't think anyone expected him to dominate like he did and win the Rookie of the Year.

I just think it's unfair to say the 1999 team had a chance at contending when they were coming off a 75-87 team and then turn around and not even give the 2009 Reds a chance. Who knows what can happen if the Reds receive breakout seasons from guys like Chris Dickerson, Jay Bruce, and Johnny Cueto. Throw in a solid trade acquisition or two and this team may have a chance at actually playing some meaningful games late in the season.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-06-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Injury probably played some part in the Dodgers not picking up the option but it was reported he just left the team prior towards the end of the season and didn't give any notice.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I wasn't around here back then, so I don't know. Did people really think the Reds had a chance at winning 96 games in 1999? The year before the Reds were 75-87 (three games better than our 2008 record). Again, I wasn't around here back then but I can remember 1999 and I don't remember thinking that team had a chance at being that good. That team was so good because they received breakout seasons from youngsters like Sean Casey and Mike Cameron, and Eddie Taubensee had a career year, and Greg Vaughn provided power from the right side.

The starting pitching looked awful entering the season. It was Pete Harnisch and Denny Neagle and then a bunch of retreads like Steve Parris, Ron Villone, Jason Bere, and Steve Avery. They lucked out with careers years from Parris and Villone. Of course Juan Guzman was acquiring in a July trade. The bullpen was expected to be good with Graves, Sullivan, and Reyes leading the pack. Scott Williamson was a good prospect but I don't think anyone expected him to dominate like he did and win the Rookie of the Year.

I just think it's unfair to say the 1999 team had a chance at contending when they were coming off a 75-87 team and then turn around and not even give the 2009 Reds a chance. Who knows what can happen if the Reds receive breakout seasons from guys like Chris Dickerson, Jay Bruce, and Johnny Cueto. Throw in a solid trade acquisition or two and this team may have a chance at actually playing some meaningful games late in the season.
    Good question. I don't think many expected the Reds to do what they did. They did make two rather large additions in Neagle and Vaughn. Neagle at the time was a well respected pitcher and Vaughn had just come off a 50 home run season. Cameron was another addition but I don't know if many knew what to expect out of him.

I think what you saw that season was a healthy Larkin, he played 161 games that year, and a bunch of upstarts having good years. Pokey had a good season and Casey came into his own that year. Their bullpen was lights out that season with Sullivan, Williamson, and Graves. They actually featured two young closers in Williamson and Graves.

It was the kind of team you would project now days to be an upstart team. The major difference between that season and the Reds is they had a great player on the team, Larkin, and added a big RH bat in Vaughn. The starting staff was ok but Neagle was solid all year long and Harnish reminded me of a big game pitcher.

I started geting excited in spring training when I realized that Scott Williamson was as good as he was. I thought that he made the bullpen good enough with Scott Sullivan, and Danny Graves to shorten games. Plus Greg Vaughn was really good. What would you give to have a Greg Vaughn in left, right now?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The starting staff was ok but Neagle was solid all year long and Harnish reminded me of a big game pitcher.

Neagle was winless, IIRC, for about three months, as he was shut down with an injury after early season difficulties until,about the all star break. He went about 9-2 in the second half, 9-5 alltogether.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Neagle was winless, IIRC, for about three months, as he was shut down with an injury after early season difficulties until,about the all star break. He went about 9-2 in the second half, 9-5 alltogether.
    Yea I realized that when I looked up his game log for that season.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I started geting excited in spring training when I realized that Scott Williamson was as good as he was. I thought that he made the bullpen good enough with Scott Sullivan, and Danny Graves to shorten games. Plus Greg Vaughn was really good. What would you give to have a Greg Vaughn in left, right now?

That's a good question, what is Colorado asking again?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

If the Reds somehow manage to add talent like Vaughn, Neagle, and Cameron this offseason, I'll change my mind. That 98 offseason was one of the most exciting ever, although a lot of people were bummed out about trading Konerko. The 99 team also benefited from inheriting an exceptional pen -- that would also have to be addressed for me to get excited about 2009, although I will concede that we don't have to add a Neagle to contend.

But you are right. If Dickerson turns into a Cameron, Cueto becomes a 20 game winner, we somehow get a pen, etc there's hope.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

This guy's career is over. Pass.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?