Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dallas Buck

0 0%
  • Zach Cozart

1 0.83%
  • Danny Dorn

28 23.14%
  • Carlos Fisher

1 0.83%
  • Ryan Hanigan

4 3.31%
  • Chris Heisey

1 0.83%
  • Jeremy Horst

0 0%
  • Sam Lecure

0 0%
  • Matt Maloney

4 3.31%
  • Devin Mesoraco

41 33.88%
  • Ramon Ramirez

7 5.79%
  • Yorman Rodriguez

11 9.09%
  • Josh Roenicke

5 4.13%
  • Adam Rosales

1 0.83%
  • Zach Stewart

10 8.26%
  • Justin Turner

4 3.31%
  • Pedro Viola

3 2.48%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #11 prospect?

For me, I could go Yorman or Devin... Definitely wouldn't be upset to see Devin get the nod, but went with Yorman instead.

Dorn is ok, but not gonna go crazy over a platoon player at this point. I'd rather put faith in projectability and see what happens.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heisey until he wins

Danny Dorn. I think he will be the Reds starting LF in 2010.

Danny Dorn is the highest rated guy I have left, He's number 8 on my personal list and he already is a LH bat that can add some pop in a platoon role. I see him becoming a Matt Stairs type. Not a top end star, but a solid guy in the rank and file of major league baseball players. Others may have higher potential, but they also have high possibilities of becoming nothing.

I have Mesoraco rated lower than most do (#19) but just like with Valaika, I'm skeptical of guys whose bats are only assets at positions that they haven't demonstrated that they'll be able to play. Mes plays a spot dying for good players, but his defensive issues really bother me. His bat isn't special and if he can't stick at catcher, he's fodder. OTOH, if he gets it together at catcher, he moves up into my top 5. I know he was a number 1 pick, but he's a project that may never be completed. Usually number 1 picks rate higher if for no other reason than trade value, but I doubt that Mes would bring much back until he shows he can catch. I also think his number 1 status is a bit cheap. I'm guessing that the Reds knew they could reach a bit for need because they had a couple of sandwich picks at the end of round one to fall back on (those picks became Todd Frazier and Kyle Lotzkar). I'm not sure the Reds take on a project like Mes without the safety net that those other picks provided. As a result, his 1st round status gets a little less weight in the evaluation process than it normally would IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

For me, it's between Mesoraco and Yorman Rodriguez. After 2009, I think Mesoraco will soon be one of the top-five catching prospects, so I'll go with him.

I'll keep voting Dorn until he's off the board.

I like Dorn alot, but went with Maloney. Solid numbers at every level and left handed. LH starters tend to take a little longer, but he's still pretty young, and has been very successful.

minor league career to date: 9.21 K/9 1.20 WHIP 7.69 H/9 .76 HR/9

His numbers are ver similar to Homer Bailey's except he allows a few more HR's but walks fewer guys. And he's left handed.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I saw Mesoraco this season and no way would I have him nearly this high. I think Stewart deserves a lot more support than he is getting. If you watched Lotzkar and Stewart on the same night in Dayton this season, you would say that Stewart throws harder, has a sharper breaking ball, and has much better command. I like Lotzkar a lot, but Stewart throws consistently 94-95 while Lotzkar is at 90-91 and once in a while, he will pop a 94 or a 95. Lotzkar has a good breaking ball, but it is not in the class of Stewart's slider. Lotzkar is three years younger, but that does not necessarily make him a better prospect. I would rate Stewart higher than Lotzkar based on seeing a lot of both this season. I don't think Lotzkar is overrated, but I think if you watch both guys pitch, it is hard for me to see how you could say Lotzkar is the better prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    I saw Mesoraco this season and no way would I have him nearly this high. I think Stewart deserves a lot more support than he is getting. If you watched Lotzkar and Stewart on the same night in Dayton this season, you would say that Stewart throws harder, has a sharper breaking ball, and has much better command. I like Lotzkar a lot, but Stewart throws consistently 94-95 while Lotzkar is at 90-91 and once in a while, he will pop a 94 or a 95. Lotzkar has a good breaking ball, but it is not in the class of Stewart's slider. Lotzkar is three years younger, but that does not necessarily make him a better prospect. I would rate Stewart higher than Lotzkar based on seeing a lot of both this season. I don't think Lotzkar is overrated, but I think if you watch both guys pitch, it is hard for me to see how you could say Lotzkar is the better prospect.
    Lotzkar being the starter instead of the reliever is what makes him the better prospect for me. Starters give you 175-225 innings. Relievers give you 60.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lotzkar being the starter instead of the reliever is what makes him the better prospect for me. Starters give you 175-225 innings. Relievers give you 60.
    And Lotzkar projects to be a TOR starter as well, correct?

Do you think he will pitch 175 innings next year? I don't.
    He and Stewart pitched about the same amount of innings in 2008 for the Reds - and Stewart pitched a full college season also.
    Lotzkar did not pitch more than 5 innings at a time - he's all potential as a starter. I want to see him start 20-25 games with 5 games of 7 innings + before I can assess him as a starter. Right now he's shown off a great arm with some nasty stuff, and that's exciting. But he has also shown that he is inexperienced at setting up hitters and pitching out of jams, which is not an issue for his age but are things he needs to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Do you think he will pitch 175 innings next year? I don't.
    He and Stewart pitched about the same amount of innings in 2008 for the Reds - and Stewart pitched a full college season also.
    Lotzkar did not pitch more than 5 innings at a time - he's all potential as a starter. I want to see him start 20-25 games with 5 games of 7 innings + before I can assess him as a starter. Right now he's shown off a great arm with some nasty stuff, and that's exciting. But he has also shown that he is inexperienced at setting up hitters and pitching out of jams, which is not an issue for his age but are things he needs to learn.
    No, he won't pitch 175 innings next year. Injuries aside, next year has very little to do with Lotzkar's future as a starting pitcher. Lets remember that he was 18 years old last year. He is going to be raw somewhat, but nothing suggests he is going to not be a starter.

No, he won't pitch 175 innings next year. Injuries aside, next year has very little to do with Lotzkar's future as a starting pitcher. Lets remember that he was 18 years old last year. He is going to be raw somewhat, but nothing suggests he is going to not be a starter.
    I agree with you, but I also remember how promising Justin Gillman and Brandon Love looked for 30 innings at low A before getting injured. As you found out in your interview with Lotzkar, he has to learn a new breaking pitch and a new motion. That will be challenging, as he needs to avoid injury and build up experience. If he doesn't learn to throw a reliable breaking pitch, chances of being an effective starter diminish considerably.

Mesoraco based on being a catcher and his tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I agree with you, but I also remember how promising Justin Gillman and Brandon Love looked for 30 innings at low A before getting injured. As you found out in your interview with Lotzkar, he has to learn a new breaking pitch and a new motion. That will be challenging, as he needs to avoid injury and build up experience. If he doesn't learn to throw a reliable breaking pitch, chances of being an effective starter diminish considerably.
    He MAY need to learn a new breaking ball. There was nothing in there about him learning new mechanics/motion.

Turn Off Ads?